Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey, I need help

Hey all, about 5 years ago I went primal and started a great exercise routine and got healthy, then I went crazy, got obsessive, got bingey and got fat and lazy. I know that the primal lifestyle works best for me, I know this is what I need to do to be fit and healthy. My problem lies not with will power but I am currently so tired and over weight I don't want to do anything, I don't want to cook because I can't muster the energy, I don't want to exercise because again energy. Its a vicious cycle and I know I just have to go through it before it will get better, so here I am making the first step. I currently have some kind of lower back pain that requires me to take anti inflammatories daily and I know its not getting better because of my crappy diet and sedentary lifestyle. I think I need a buddy to help me through and so here I am.

Hi Huckie, welcome back!

My best advice for you is to start a journal and share your journey. You can either choose to dive into the plan or take baby steps. Either way works, it's your personal preference which is best for you.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...31#post2990331

Or you can make changes along the way. Pick one or two things and do them for a while. Then add new things. It can be something like just drinking water instead of all other beverages, or remove all wheat. Or even just eating more veggies/protein. Whatever works for you and without knowing your routines it's difficult to know which would be better at the time. Being in Australia enjoying summer even not cooking wouldn't be a problem, just eat salads for a while and remember to add protein (you could cook those in advance or pick them up at the store for now).

Originally posted by lovebird View Post
    It doesn't really matter how often you fall/fail, as long as you get up again and keep going, that's the important part.

It's the direction that counts, not perfection. You can do this. We believe in you. ☼
    And don't forget to read other people's journals as well. ;-)
    "Don't sweat the small stuff and relax about the whole process"

Comment

The combination of overweight yet low energy suggests the internal starvation of a high-carb diet that results in chronically elevated insulin levels, so no matter how much you eat it turns to fat and does not give your cells the energy needed for an active lifestyle. My advice would be to eliminate all grains and sugars, which implies eliminating all processed foods. Eat whole foods, ie, leaves and veggies and animal products from pasture-raised/grass-fed and organic sources. After quickly losing weight on such a diet, you will also have higher energy levels and then be ready to start a real fitness path involving regular exercise. Start with walking every day, and other low-stress movement as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Wilkin View Post
        The combination of overweight yet low energy suggests the internal starvation of a high-carb diet that results in chronically elevated insulin levels, so no matter how much you eat it turns to fat and does not give your cells the energy needed for an active lifestyle. My advice would be to eliminate all grains and sugars, which implies eliminating all processed foods. Eat whole foods, ie, leaves and veggies and animal products from pasture-raised/grass-fed and organic sources. After quickly losing weight on such a diet, you will also have higher energy levels and then be ready to start a real fitness path involving regular exercise. Start with walking every day, and other low-stress movement as much as possible.

If that statement was even remotely true, how did I lose nearly 40 lbs, change from sedentary to active, have a fasting glucose of 80 mg/dl(normal is 65-99) and A1c of 5.2%(normal is 4.8-5.6)? My diet is 75% carbs and I maintain at 1700-2000 calories. That's over 300g carbs.

Guys, the carbs>insulin>obesity theory has been debunked repeatedly!! If you're overweight, you need to burn more calories than you eat.
        *Starting Wt - 151 lbs (January 2015) * Current Wt - 113 lbs (November 2016)
        *95% Plant-Based (from June 2015) ~ *75%Carbs *10-15%Protein *10-15%Fat
        *Exercise ~7-10 hrs/week

Comment

Hi Huckie,

Since you know what works (nice job a few years ago! that means you can totally do this), it might just take a few nudges to start to shift things. Something that might help with making those changes is TinyHabits (you can sign up for free and get very simple coaching on making small changes into longterm habits). They are by design very modest habits, but they give you a feeling of being in control of the ship, and you can use those habits as the start (kind of like placeholders) for larger ones.
          Also one more thought - Gretchen Rubin did some nice work on types of people and how they respond to resolutions and making changes. Some folks do really well on - say - one square of chocolate after dinner, while others can't stop at one square but have no trouble avoiding chocolate altogether. Knowing which works better for you can be really helpful. [sorry - somehow this last sentence disappeared from my first try at the post!]
          Good luck!
          Last edited by LinaR; 01-06-2017, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions and support. Making myself accountable was the first step (well perhaps acknowledging I was so far off the rails was). Since I posted above I have started a daily yoga challenge, designed for beginners so its nice and light, and I can do it at home online whenever during the day or night, so I can't find the time isn't an excuse. From this my back has already improved out of sight in a week. I started a supplement to help balance myself and have started back on a primal diet, no crazy hardcore paleo stuff for me. So far I've stuck steadfast to my diet, I haven't gone crazy with it, I used a packet mix the other night for a curry, it was mostly spices, but had undesirable things in it (additives) and possible a tiny amount of sugar, but it was make with fresh veggies, free range chicken and coconut cream, so the goodness out weighed it. I'm happy to have dairy and have lost most weight when I had dairy in my diet, when I restrict it I tend to make poorer choices as a replacement in a meal than just having it. I have also managed to ride a horse for 10 minutes for the last 2 days, and 3 times in the last week, my energy is slowly returning. I have also decided to stop weighing myself, this is a big thing for me, I get a bit addicted to seeing the scale go down and then find I get derailed when it doesn't and I know all the reasons why I could be losing fat and seeing the same numbers on the scale, so for my own health, its bye bye scale, my clothes will have to be my guide now. Anyway small changes daily make lasting long term changes and sustainable habits. Thanks for reading

Comment

Sounds great, Huckie! Keep us posted as you go.

Comment

Originally posted by KimLean125byMar15 View Post

If that statement was even remotely true, how did I lose nearly 40 lbs, change from sedentary to active, have a fasting glucose of 80 mg/dl(normal is 65-99) and A1c of 5.2%(normal is 4.8-5.6)? My diet is 75% carbs and I maintain at 1700-2000 calories. That's over 300g carbs.

Guys, the carbs>insulin>obesity theory has been debunked repeatedly!! If you're overweight, you need to burn more calories than you eat.
                Originally posted by KimLean125byMar15 View Post

I'm not being snarky. Truly, I'm not. But I have to ask why you participate in a forum/site whose entire premise is low carb? It just seems like it's counterintuitive to what you seem to believe.
                Moved on over to www.primalforums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario View Post
                  ... a forum/site whose entire premise is low carb?
                  Is it really? I think it's more accurate to say that low carb is a small part of the Primal Blueprint. Many of the PB laws have nothing to do with LC. For example, moving frequently at a slow pace can be done regardless of how many carbs you eat. One thread on this forum has to do with eating nothing but potatoes for a while - not even close to low carb - and has over 2,000 posts. It was a sequel to a previous thread that was also very long.
                  I moved to primalforums.com to escape the spam.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario View Post

I'm not being snarky. Truly, I'm not. But I have to ask why you participate in a forum/site whose entire premise is low carb? It just seems like it's counterintuitive to what you seem to believe.
                    I'd say you do not have an accurate understanding of MDA.

Comment

First you have to mentioned which type of help you need. I am always ready to help you.

Comment

Working...
                      X