Ad Widget

Collapse

Crohn's tips, tricks, or advice

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Crohn's tips, tricks, or advice

    Hi All,

    I've been following a primal lifestyle for 2 years now, but 5 months ago I started having bowel pain and discomfort I've now been diagnosed with Crohn's disease. I won't let it ruin my life or let prescriptions be my only savior. My first guess is I might need to be a little more strict in my primal ways. Right now I'd say I try to adhere to Mark's 80/20 principle. Can I still partake in a devilishly good sweet treat now and then? Should I dial it in more and not drink any alcohol here and there? I guess what's hardest for me is where to begin. I was already primal, feeling better than I had ever been, then Crohn's came out of nowhere. I'll be consulting more with my doctor soon, the diagnosis is so fresh that he and I haven't had a chance to chat in depth just yet. While I value medical advice, I'd sure welcome any input from the primal/paleo community. I've perused past articles on MDA and past forum topics, but any new tips, tricks, or advice is surely welcome.

    Thanks,

    Tyler

  • #2
    You might want to consider what in your diet has contributed to this condition and make changes. Some suggest that western diets high in animal protein (eg primal/paleo) are associated with an increased risk of inflammatory bowel conditions like crohns. I would cut back if I were you.

    >>http://www.nutritionmd.org/consumers...nutrition.html

    >>http://nutritionfacts.org/video/achi...rohns-disease/

    *Starting Wt - 151 lbs (January 2015) * Current Wt - 113 lbs (November 2016)
    *95% Plant-Based (from June 2015) ~ *75%Carbs *10-15%Protein *10-15%Fat
    *Exercise ~7-10 hrs/week

    Comment


    • #3
      Thank you, KimLean125byMar15. I'm a sponge at this point, ready to take in as much knowledge as I can. Thanks again.

      Comment


      • #4
        Not everyone here agrees with that notion though... KL is a proponent of eating very little meat/fish/fat, YMMV...

        http://glutenfreefix.com/the-soup-that-saved-my-life/

        http://www.meghantelpner.com/blog/me...n-the-regular/

        I know some people with Crohn's that only do well on a meat/fat only diet, none that do well on a vegan/vegetarian one, but everyone's different...

        Hope you find what works for you...
        "Don't sweat the small stuff and relax about the whole process"

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks, lovebird. I too have noticed in reading that the common theme is what works for one might not work for others.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Tyler Herek View Post
            Hi All,

            I've been following a primal lifestyle for 2 years now, but 5 months ago I started having bowel pain and discomfort I've now been diagnosed with Crohn's disease. I won't let it ruin my life or let prescriptions be my only savior. My first guess is I might need to be a little more strict in my primal ways. Right now I'd say I try to adhere to Mark's 80/20 principle. Can I still partake in a devilishly good sweet treat now and then? Should I dial it in more and not drink any alcohol here and there? I guess what's hardest for me is where to begin. I was already primal, feeling better than I had ever been, then Crohn's came out of nowhere. I'll be consulting more with my doctor soon, the diagnosis is so fresh that he and I haven't had a chance to chat in depth just yet. While I value medical advice, I'd sure welcome any input from the primal/paleo community. I've perused past articles on MDA and past forum topics, but any new tips, tricks, or advice is surely welcome.

            Thanks,

            Tyler
            Tyler, you might want to check on SCD/GAPS diet.. not sure how severe your symptoms are right now, but in a flare it's often recommended to make chicken bone broth with carrots and chicken thighs... no onions/garlic... won't do much harm anyways as it is healthy for almost everyone... even if not solely consumed but as part of a normal 'diet'.... but a few days on this, then add a fresh egg yolk to it, extra gelatin next, Saccharomyces Boulardii could be tried, fresh ginger tea...

            Introduction will show you where your weak spots are... eggs/FODMAPs for example... and some times you can add less primal things like white rice...

            As Crohn's is autoimmune in nature, you'll need to reduce inflammation, yet the triggers often aren't the same for everyone... however stress/sugar are well known... if it were me I'd cut the sweets and alcohol for a while, just to see what gives...
            "Don't sweat the small stuff and relax about the whole process"

            Comment


            • #7
              I sincerely appreciate the suggestions, lovebird. I raise organic chickens so the bone broth will be easy for me to come by! And I agree, will need to hone in my "cheats" like chocolate and alcohol. Things I should know, but always good to hear it from another person. Thanks again.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tyler Herek View Post
                I sincerely appreciate the suggestions, lovebird. I raise organic chickens so the bone broth will be easy for me to come by! And I agree, will need to hone in my "cheats" like chocolate and alcohol. Things I should know, but always good to hear it from another person. Thanks again.
                You're welcome, Tyler. Those suggestions are based on the work of an actual GAPS therapist, and did not originate from me; but it's not in English, therefore I can't link to it, unfortunately. Hopefully it's only temporarily, being more strict that is, as the thought of having to go without chocolate/booze/coffee forever would be devastating, to me at least. Then again, you can have meat/fish/fowl/fat ... and raising your own chickens is awesome!
                "Don't sweat the small stuff and relax about the whole process"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Well said, lovebird! I'm confident I'll find my new normal soon enough.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tyler Herek View Post
                    Well said, lovebird! I'm confident I'll find my new normal soon enough.
                    That's the right attitude to approach this... good luck!
                    "Don't sweat the small stuff and relax about the whole process"

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X