Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's happened to this place?

Not been around for a few years, but it seems a lot of regular posters have given up and moved away?

I am new, and still trying to figure it out. I can't tell if there are any moderators, but there does seem to be a whole lot of spam. I've flagged some, but it is all still there. Any ideas of how to bring it back to life?

Comment

You point out a truly self inflicted, nearly fatal flub. MDA came close to killing the forum when they made the "new format" release on/about 9/7/2016. It appears nobody at MDA gave any thought to doing a quality check on the forum before they made the release, as virtually nothing worked in early September, you couldn't event navigate a thread to subsequent pages, if there were any.

It has been a long, slow road in seeing things become functional. The primary thrust was having all the "bitches and gripes" from the user community be essentially ignored by MDA, the silence coming from MDA was deafening. During the process there seem to be a lot of people who gave up, I abandoned the site for about a month before coming back. Others seem to be dribbling back slowly. In November, they released "this" version of the Forum, with a different look and user interface, and as noted below, a "final" release at the end of January.

If you are interested in tracking the problems, these two threads provide a pretty good running history starting in November for the first one, the second thread is newer. Other threads have the occasional post relating to problems, and I believe there was one from September but can't find it.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...forum?t=118367

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...forum?t=118736

Sisson finally acknowledged problems with the site in his daily blog 12/8/2016, after only 3 months of silence, where he posted:
      "One note before we get going… I know folks have experienced continuing issues with the forum since the site upgrade, and I appreciate the feedback that’s come in. It’s been a frustrating knot to untangle the last several weeks, but I want you to know I consider the forum a centerpiece of Mark’s Daily Apple and the Primal Blueprint community. Getting the forum back to full capacity is a top priority for me and my staff. We’re working on it as I speak. Thanks for your patience on this, gang, and hang tight!"

A "final" release seems to have been made around the end of January. Sisson posted in his blog on 1/30/2017 (my bolding):
      "Now the hard work begins. Now you have to muster more internal motivation without so much external coming in daily from the blog (although please share your journeys with one another on the forum—which is now functional and will undergo one more upgrade to take care of the last residual hiccups). It’s your turn to keep the party rolling, maintain your results, and avoid lapsing back into your old bad habits."

If you try to report a problem, you'll never know if your issue is heard,assuming you can figure out how to do it in the first place. You get no feedback. MDA still has the absolutely worst user support I've ever been exposed to. As a case in point, the insane process of logging in, being on 2-10 minutes and getting logged off with no warning is and has been a problem for a couple of months. Is it being fixed? Doesn't look like it, and on the grand scale of how things work it can't be a tough issue to resolve.
      Finally have given up on MDA Forum.
      My friends, I'll see ya at primalforums.com where I'm user #4, and we do have a moderator.

Comment

I agree, RigD. My gripe is the lack of moderation. How hard is it to reach out to ten veteran forum members and ask if they would volunteer to mod???

I've built and run two forums in the past. It's really not that hard! Yes, there are always hiccups here and there but they're always fixable. This is why I have a hard time believing the forum is really as valuable to MDA as Mark claims it to be. Nearly every forum on the internet is moderated by volunteers. It doesn't even have to cost anything.

I respect and admire Mark for all he has done for so many. But he's missing the mark on the forum.
        Moved on over to www.primalforums.com

Comment

Ontario, I wholeheartedly agree with your final paragraph.

My career was in software development, support, maintenance. My experience with MDA in the last year just makes my teeth itch in frustration. I started back in the days when your source code was saved on physical punched cards and we were toying with the first terminals with screens, and hung in there until around 2012, so I've seen a lot of the evolution of the computer and internet age. I wrote Sisson a two page letter about the forum and my frustration in trying to use it, he should have received it just about the time they made the "new format" forum release in November. He didn't acknowledge it (as was expected) but if he even saw it, may have assumed (ass/u/me) that the new release fixed it all.

The forum suffers from one or more problems, I don't know which it is but it has to be one of these:
          1. Management (Sisson) indifference and/or lack of follow through. High probability here.
          2. Incompetent tech support. This would include not having anybody who knows how to implement new stuff, how to test and verify the code.
          3. Funding problems -- lack of staff, adequate hardware.
          4. Outsourcing -- where a combination of 2,3 may be in play. This is my guess. In my career, every time I dealt with outsourced code, especially if it came from a non-USA/Canada operation was a huge problem. The strange cultural differences that come into play when you go trans-national that affect how the vendors perceive things and how my firms saw them was the major problem.
          My friends, I'll see ya at primalforums.com where I'm user #4, and we do have a moderator.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario View Post
            My gripe is the lack of moderation. How hard is it to reach out to ten veteran forum members and ask if they would volunteer to mod???
            +1. Rose12314 has been spamming since March. The lights are on, but nobody's home at MDA, as far as the forum goes.
            I moved to primalforums.com to escape the spam.

Comment

Thats normal that the forum is dying.... Nothing new...

Last edited by novatmec; 04-11-2017, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Can it possibly be that the login timeout problem is resolved?
                I've been logged in now for about 30 minutes, made two posts in different threads, and am still logged in. That hasn't happened in months.

Comment

Originally posted by Rig D View Post
                  I've been logged in now for about 30 minutes, made two posts in different threads, and am still logged in. That hasn't happened in months.
                  You were just lucky. Some days it works, more often it doesn't.
                  "Don't sweat the small stuff and relax about the whole process"

Comment

Sadly you are correct. It was a one time phenomenon and is back to its "normal" broken state.

Comment

It must be different for everyone as I don't get logged out. I haven't logged in since probably February.
                      Moved on over to www.primalforums.com

Comment

Sadly you are correct. It was a one time phenomenon and is back to its "normal" broken state.
                        Perhaps you coincidentally clicked 'Remember me' that one time?

"Remember me allows a user to stay logged instead of their session with the site timing out after a default of 15 minutes without activity."

Originally posted by Ontario View Post

It must be different for everyone as I don't get logged out. I haven't logged in since probably February.
                        I would never stay logged it at whatever site... that is not a safe way to deal with internet... but hey, at least it saved you plenty of annoyance...

Comment

No ads in the forum = no $$$ from ads. IOW, the forum doesn't benefit the business. JMO.
                          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I think Joanie may be right. Although I would suspect the Forum provides a good source of recurring customers for all of Sisson's various products.
                            "Remember me allows a user to stay logged instead of their session with the site timing out after a default of 15 minutes without activity."
                            So where the heck is "remember me?"
                            And 15 minutes, that would be a huge improvement. Like right now, I logged in, searched for activity, displayed this thread and entered my post . "Missing human verification" error. I'm logged out, somewhat less than 5 minutes. So I'll copy this text, refresh the screen, log in, paste it back in and hope I'm not timed out. 'Tis a pain in the ass.

I've always logged in, checked the updated posts, done my posting, then log out. I also would not allow myself to stay logged in for days at a time. Would seem to be inviting problems.

Comment

So where the heck is "remember me?"

And 15 minutes, that would be a huge improvement. Like right now, I logged in, searched for activity, displayed this thread and entered my post . "Missing human verification" error. I'm logged out, somewhat less than 5 minutes. So I'll copy this text, refresh the screen, log in, paste it back in and hope I'm not timed out. 'Tis a pain in the ass.

I've always logged in, checked the updated posts, done my posting, then log out. I also would not allow myself to stay logged in for days at a time. Would seem to be inviting problems.
                              Right underneath your name when you log in... little box...

I only c/p'd what I found under q&a... 15 minutes is very optimistic, to say the least... more often than not it takes multiple attempts to get it all posted... but checking the box definitely improves things... let's hope it stays that way for now...

Always had a second tab open with MDA, log in again on that one and return to the original to post reply.

Ditto.

Comment

Working...
                              X