Ad Widget

Collapse

Day 1 - Kinda lost as to where to begin.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day 1 - Kinda lost as to where to begin.

I forgot I joined here a few years back but never did anything with it really. I won't bore you with all the details but the last decade has just kicked my butt and I'm overweight and out of shape. My son was born with health issues and a combo of working 90 hours a week for most of that decade, medical bills and high HIGH stress combined with lack of sleep has taken it's toll. I don't eat bad as in I don't drink soda, don't eat candy, rarely drink and try and eat decently but my problem has always been breads. I. LOVE. BREAD. I weaned myself off of most bread except for ezekiel bread and some random kashi cereal but am now moving away from that. Fruit (mostly berries and cherries) and tubers are my carbs. I have started doing the Brand X adult workouts 3 times a week and one morning of tabata rowing per week. I have a physical job (my main job- fire service), long shifts and sleep has been elusive for many years now. I am 43, 5'8", 195 lbs. I have some muscle, I look like I lift weights (thick neck,shoulders, back, and thighs) and eat a lot of pasta......thats accurate. My goal is to get down to 175 as I have the fat to lose.

I don't quite know how many calories to eat each day as each online calculator tells me different but a dexa scan from 8 months ago has me at about 140 lbs of lean body mass. I've not been able to change much fat loss wise, I am kinda stuck. I don't eat many veggies, mostly raw spinach, green beans, peas, carrots and sweet potatoes. No beer, wine, soda, no sweet coffees, I do eat greek gods full fat plain yogurt as it's helped my stomach issues. If I do drink it's vodka with some a splash of some sort of sugar free drink like crystal light.

Ive been trying to soak up information on this site but information overload is happening so I figured I'd just introduce myself and maybe someone can simplify the complex simplicity of Primal. Have tried keto before but I do not care for it. Not because it's hard but more so because it leaves me constipated, sluggish and tired, even after many weeks (4+) of doing so. No amount of bone broth or mag/pot supplements and water helped. I can't seem to be successful winging it or just "eat primal". Apparently I need to be super militant and weight my food and the like and I am toying around with fitday but am open to any other apps that may be suggested. So, Thats me. Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Tlhfirelion. Welcome back.

It's pretty simple really. Just combine proteins/veggies/fats/herbs&spices to create a meal. That's it.

https://robbwolf.com/wp-content/uplo...FoodMatrix.pdf

Focus on the foods you can have, instead of what's better to remove. Prepare meals (or meal parts) ahead of time when needed.

I don't think it's necessary to count. Just let your hunger guide you. YMMV

Good luck!
    "Don't sweat the small stuff and relax about the whole process"

Comment

To make it even easier intermittent fast. Don't eat anything between dinner and bedtime for 3 hours and continue this fast to be somewhere between 12 and 16 hours before you break it by eating your first meal. This leaves you about 8 to 12 hours in which you can space your meals. Don't rush into it either, simply start with 12 hours and see how you feel on that. A body needs nourishment by feeding it nutrient dense foods, so don't overdo it on the fasting.

Make sure you get plenty of sleep too.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. Starting slow and steady is my plan as I'd like to make it "stick". I see the need to change the fundamentals of my eating so not flash in the pan diets anymore. I assume coffee is still an option with IF? Thanks!

Comment

Welcome back to Primal. Tlhfirelion. Yes, coffee is fine, it is my go-to beverage. There is indeed a lot of info here and it can seem intimidating and complex. But it doesn't have to be. Lovebird has pointed the way, what I have is just more of how to go about it. The stuff below is a "copy/paste" from a prior post, it seems you are well on the right path for several of my points, but nevertheless, here is my summary approach to being a Primal beast:
          1. Keep it simple. Try not counting carbs/cals etc at first and see if it works. Eat from the recommended foods, avoid the bad foods, eat when hungry, stop eating when not hungry, never eat until "full". Do not eat "by the clock". Listen to your body. I went from being a three meal & several snack person to a two meal/day person, rarely snack.
          2. Be sure to get your exercise.
          3. Get the sleep.
          4. Be patient and persistent. Give yourself 2 months on the program for your body to get through the initial transition and to see how the base level program works (or doesn't) for you.
          5. Do not look for specific food/exercise advice on the forums until you have finished the 2 month intro period. Everyone is different, be sure you know how the base system works for you (or doesn't work for you) before you start trying to deviate all over the place, and you can get widely different opinions from the on-line community.
          6. If possible, get your spouse (if any) to join your journey, even if they do not "need to." Having the spouse on board will make it a whole lot easier to shop, plan meals, stick to your guns and ride through any rough times.
          7. Expect to see periods where the weight/inches fall off, be prepared for plateaus where "nothing works." These can last a fairly long time, I had one that was over a month.
          8. Measure yourself. Weigh 1x/week. Take measurements monthly of neck/chest/waist/hips/thighs/whatever. Enjoy watching your clothes become looser. Check your "how do I feel" indicator regularly. You may feel lousy for a short time but within a week or two you should start feeling noticeably better.
          Last edited by Rig D; 10-04-2017, 05:22 AM.
          Finally have given up on MDA Forum.
          My friends, I'll see ya at primalforums.com where I'm user #4, and we do have a moderator.

Comment

What is a typical day of eating (and drinking) for you, including rough amounts?

Are you eating 3 slices of bread or 3 loaves?
            I moved to primalforums.com to escape the spam.

Comment

Originally posted by sharperhawk View Post
              What is a typical day of eating (and drinking) for you, including rough amounts?

Are you eating 3 slices of bread or 3 loaves?
              3 loaves of bread would, I think literally, kill me. lol I've never been diagnosed with anything but when I eat a lot of pasta and bread it tears my gut up. I haven't had any bread of any kind except one low carb tortilla in about a week or two now and I'm ok stomach wise. A typical day of eating is tough for me to answer because I don't have a typical day as I'm rather busy. The day before yesterday was a bowl of yogurt for breakfast, lunch was fajita meat(steak and chicken) with a few peppers and onions (I'd guess 200 grams worth) and coffee. Dinner was 3 eggs fried, a bowl of green beans and a bowl of full fat cottage cheese. Yesterday was odd. I had coffee and greek yogurt for breakfast, a kind bar, 2 Hebrew hot dogs and coffee for lunch and then 3 small chicken breasts with cheese on top for dinner. About an hour after dinner I had about 200 grams of plain full fat greek yogurt and I added some frozen dark cherries(60 grams) to it. I may have had a bite of natural peanut butter as I ran out the door in the afternoon.

Today so far was coffee with heavy cream for breakfast and lunch was the same as last nights dinner and yogurt/cherry snack. Dinner is bacon and eggs as we have too many eggs in the fridge. I plan to make a spinach smoothie as well.

Thank you for your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Rig D View Post
                Welcome back to Primal. Tlhfirelion. Yes, coffee is fine, it is my go-to beverage. There is indeed a lot of info here and it can seem intimidating and complex. But it doesn't have to be. Lovebird has pointed the way, what I have is just more of how to go about it. The stuff below is a "copy/paste" from a prior post, it seems you are well on the right path for several of my points, but nevertheless, here is my summary approach to being a Primal beast:
                1. Keep it simple. Try not counting carbs/cals etc at first and see if it works. Eat from the recommended foods, avoid the bad foods, eat when hungry, stop eating when not hungry, never eat until "full". Do not eat "by the clock". Listen to your body. I went from being a three meal & several snack person to a two meal/day person, rarely snack.
                2. Be sure to get your exercise.
                3. Get the sleep.
                4. Be patient and persistent. Give yourself 2 months on the program for your body to get through the initial transition and to see how the base level program works (or doesn't) for you.
                5. Do not look for specific food/exercise advice on the forums until you have finished the 2 month intro period. Everyone is different, be sure you know how the base system works for you (or doesn't work for you) before you start trying to deviate all over the place, and you can get widely different opinions from the on-line community.
                6. If possible, get your spouse (if any) to join your journey, even if they do not "need to." Having the spouse on board will make it a whole lot easier to shop, plan meals, stick to your guns and ride through any rough times.
                7. Expect to see periods where the weight/inches fall off, be prepared for plateaus where "nothing works." These can last a fairly long time, I had one that was over a month.
                8. Measure yourself. Weigh 1x/week. Take measurements monthly of neck/chest/waist/hips/thighs/whatever. Enjoy watching your clothes become looser. Check your "how do I feel" indicator regularly. You may feel lousy for a short time but within a week or two you should start feeling noticeably better.
                Thank you for your reply. I will follow this advice but I did want to elaborate on a few of them. Regarding sleep. I know for a fact that my lack of consistent, nightly rest has SOME to do with my weight issue. I'm not blaming that per say, it's just that it does contribute to the struggle to lose weight. When I was injured awhile back, I was off work for almost 2 weeks and I didn't exercise once, but slept 7-8 hours every night and it was uninterrupted. My diet wasn't bad per say but not where I would expect any weight loss. I came back after 2 weeks and I had lost 4 lbs. Some muscle maybe, but the regular consistent rest was amazing.

My spouse is supportive but she LIKES to eat squash and broccoli and the like so she doesn't have a weight issue. I can't even choke that stuff down, despite many an effort. She does the cooking about 70-75% of the time and will make anything I would like or she'll make a main "meat" and I'll take that and eat it by itself or something so no special foods are made for me.

Comment

Sleep: With your job, I assume you have an odd schedule, possibly with being "on" for 24hrs several days in a row, then "off" for a couple? If so, I don't have any great ideas on how to normalize your sleep, but I agree with your comment that it will affect your weight loss. The stress factor is in there too, the idea of high stress combined with long shifts will complicate things and probably will affect your ability to lose weight unless you can figure out a way to let yourself disengage from the stress. I'd guess your recovery was much more stress free and also contributed to your weight loss.

I'm a little confused by your comment on your wife, "My spouse is supportive but she LIKES to eat squash and broccoli and the like..." It sounds like she may be pretty primal right now, most veggies are fine to eat and I would encourage you to find a few that you like (or can at least tolerate) and incorporate them in your daily food. I personally find that a good mixed salad with assorted veggies in it in addition to a variety of lettuces is more satisfying than a few pieces of fruit, even if not as tasty. Also note that as you get more Primal, you may find that your food preferences will shift, some stuff you currently like will fade away, replaced by other foods you previously didn't care for.

Be sure to check the oils that you are using in your cooking. Mark has written extensively on the evils of the oils that most folks are using. There is link to the Definitive Guide to Oils on the PB101 page (https://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/) In our home, we use olive, avocado, and coconut oils exclusively for cooking. If your wife is using the oils featured on the store shelves that are mostly corn, soy, or rapeseed, you should see about swapping them out.

IMO, the two things people have the hardest time giving up are the breads/pasta/cereals and soft drinks. They were for me, I used to consume vast quantities of Coca Cola and also loved my hot breads and pizza. Today, I very rarely drink a soft drink, usually as a mixer for my occasional bourbon & coke. I don't find them enjoyable on their own. I still love the taste of pizza, but find I feel sluggish for days after a pizza binge, so pizza is pretty much reserved for those social events where it is the featured/only food item, and I restrict my intake severely. I pretty much never eat breads today.
                  My friends, I'll see ya at primalforums.com where I'm user #4, and we do have a moderator.

Comment

I'm a little confused by your comment on your wife, "My spouse is supportive but she LIKES to eat squash and broccoli and the like..." It sounds like she may be pretty primal right now, most veggies are fine to eat and I would encourage you to find a few that you like (or can at least tolerate) and incorporate them in your daily food. I personally find that a good mixed salad with assorted veggies in it in addition to a variety of lettuces is more satisfying than a few pieces of fruit, even if not as tasty. Also note that as you get more Primal, you may find that your food preferences will shift, some stuff you currently like will fade away, replaced by other foods you previously didn't care for.
                    LOL I think it refers to the original post:

Originally posted by Tlhfirelion View Post
                    I don't eat many veggies, mostly raw spinach, green beans, peas, carrots and sweet potatoes.
                    I like your emphasis on the oils which I agree are very important.

Good luck with finding what works for you Tlhfirelion, especially with your work schedule sleep will continue to be a difficult one. And yes, taste preferences will shift the more you're strict about primal. Enjoy your yogurt, perhaps you like it as a dressing to your salads too?

Comment

Thank you for the reply. Yes, sleep and insomnia are and have been a problem for many years. I think it's just part of the job until I retire which is not any time soon.

I did not word that comment right. Yes, my wife is awesome and supportive but she likes to eat veggies as well as pasta and corn and the like. She doesn't have a struggle with it from a weight loss standpoint and she only has one kidney so her Dr says no keto. We just kinda differ on where to go there so I make it work with the meat thats cooked. I may have just made it even less clear. lol

The only oils we ever use are olive oil and bacon drippins for cooking meat, eggs and the like. If we are out we use Kerrygold butter. Never have used vegetable oil or canola, etc.

I do need more veggies, I'll readily admit that and I find a smoothie makes them taste better and I get a lot more of them than if I sat down to eat 6 cups of spinach. Is this approach acceptable from a primal standpoint?

Todays meals have been/are: Breakfast - Was running a bit behind so aside from my multi, a fish oil pill and coffee with heavy cream, I took a tablespoon and had a bite of natural peanut butter and a tablespoon of kerry gold butter and ate it. I've done that before and, surprisingly, it keeps me full for a long while. Lunch will be 300 grams of full fat plain greek yogurt with 50 grams of frozen dark cherries, 2 chipotle pepper sausages and coffee, and dinner is 3 fried eggs and a big bowl of green beans.

Tomorrow I'll be using up some ground deer meat I have in some form or another, maybe grill it or cook it up and add some salsa or make a mexican type salad. Just need to make room in the freezer.

I was re-reading the thread here and I wondered something that may seem odd since I'm trying to lose weight. Am I eating enough? I don't find myself hungry per say like in some starvation diet, but I do workout 3 times a week and don't sit at a desk all day, am I holding onto fat because I am not eating enough.

Sleep: With your job, I assume you have an odd schedule, possibly with being "on" for 24hrs several days in a row, then "off" for a couple? If so, I don't have any great ideas on how to normalize your sleep, but I agree with your comment that it will affect your weight loss. The stress factor is in there too, the idea of high stress combined with long shifts will complicate things and probably will affect your ability to lose weight unless you can figure out a way to let yourself disengage from the stress. I'd guess your recovery was much more stress free and also contributed to your weight loss.

Be sure to check the oils that you are using in your cooking. Mark has written extensively on the evils of the oils that most folks are using. There is link to the Definitive Guide to Oils on the PB101 page (https://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/) In our home, we use olive, avocado, and coconut oils exclusively for cooking. If your wife is using the oils featured on the store shelves that are mostly corn, soy, or rapeseed, you should see about swapping them out.

IMO, the two things people have the hardest time giving up are the breads/pasta/cereals and soft drinks. They were for me, I used to consume vast quantities of Coca Cola and also loved my hot breads and pizza. Today, I very rarely drink a soft drink, usually as a mixer for my occasional bourbon & coke. I don't find them enjoyable on their own. I still love the taste of pizza, but find I feel sluggish for days after a pizza binge, so pizza is pretty much reserved for those social events where it is the featured/only food item, and I restrict my intake severely. I pretty much never eat breads today.

Last edited by Tlhfirelion; 10-05-2017, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I think you should allow your body's hunger pangs to dictate to you how much, and when to eat. That's the big take home from my rule #1: Eat from the recommended foods, avoid the bad foods, eat when hungry, stop eating when not hungry, never eat until "full". Do not eat "by the clock". Listen to your body. I think it is common for your appetite to drop off when you first go Primal, that's all part of the adjustment process, and should be linked in to you losing some weight early on. After you body adjusts, you will probably find your new normal intake to be lower than pre-Primal. As long as your energy levels are good and your "how do I feel" index is good, just keep on keeping on.

I've never been a a big fan of smoothies, but that's just a personal preference. I don't think there is any reason not to have them, as long as you put good stuff in them. Kind of on that score, the multigrain cereal should soon make a dietary exit, and I would also abandon the peanut butter. I had a hard time giving up PB, from age 4 on I consumed a whole bunch of the stuff, usually on white bread with a little jelly. Sisson is pretty down on peanuts.

Your dinner tonight resembles what my wife has signaled, 3 scrambled eggs, bacon, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and salsa, salad on the side. Tomorrow's deer meat salad sounds very good.

I think you are well on your way, keep updating this thread as you go, I look forward to tracking your story.

Regarding keto -- I discourage you from going low enough in carbs to get into keto, at least at first. I'd try and stay higher up, near 100 by eating enough veggies, all part of trying to find out how the base level Primal program works for you. My guess is that you will be happy with your results without driving yourself into ketosis. There is always time to experiment with it downstream.

Last edited by Rig D; 10-05-2017, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the reply! You know what I like about the primal way versus keto and some of the others? It seems normal. I'm not being told to take supplements to keep things normal. It's food and thats how I view it. While part of me has been frustrated that I can't seem to make things work with just food, I always felt the answer is there with just whole foods, I jus need to find it. I shouldn't NEED to take a ton of powders and supplements to be healthy. They may help certain people but I do not think I am one of those people, at least now now anyway.

The smoothie is just a way for me to get a lot of veggies I would not normally care to eat, at least in the quantities I can get them in in a smoothie. It's a hack of sorts but like you said, healthy ingredients and I should be ok.

Drop the PB? Dang man, you just gutted me. lol Peanut butter and coffee are, aside from my family, things I would die for. I'll work on it.

I think you should allow your body's hunger pangs to dictate to you how much, and when to eat. That's the big take home from my rule #1: Eat from the recommended foods, avoid the bad foods, eat when hungry, stop eating when not hungry, never eat until "full". Do not eat "by the clock". Listen to your body. I think it is common for your appetite to drop off when you first go Primal, that's all part of the adjustment process, and should be linked in to you losing some weight early on. After you body adjusts, you will probably find your new normal intake to be lower than pre-Primal. As long as your energy levels are good and your "how do I feel" index is good, just keep on keeping on.

I've never been a a big fan of smoothies, but that's just a personal preference. I don't think there is any reason not to have them, as long as you put good stuff in them. Kind of on that score, the multigrain cereal should soon make a dietary exit, and I would also abandon the peanut butter. I had a hard time giving up PB, from age 4 on I consumed a whole bunch of the stuff, usually on white bread with a little jelly. Sisson is pretty down on peanuts.

Your dinner tonight resembles what my wife has signaled, 3 scrambled eggs, bacon, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and salsa, salad on the side. Tomorrow's deer meat salad sounds very good.

I think you are well on your way, keep updating this thread as you go, I look forward to tracking your story.

Regarding keto -- I discourage you from going low enough in carbs to get into keto, at least at first. I'd try and stay higher up, near 100 by eating enough veggies, all part of trying to find out how the base level Primal program works for you. My guess is that you will be happy with your results without driving yourself into ketosis. There is always time to experiment with it downstream.

Comment

You know what I like about the primal way versus keto and some of the others? It seems normal. I'm not being told to take supplements to keep things normal. It's food and thats how I view it.
                            100% agree. It is a long term way of eating and living and that separates it from all the fad stuff. It is nomal. To me it is a very easy thing. Once I got past my semi-addictions to bread/pasta, fast foods, and coca cola, I found it very simple and easy to eat plenty of what I enjoyed, and also quite easy to not partake of the office cookies, doughnuts, etc. I also found that I was good with not having "cheat days/meals." There were plenty of times when deviating some from the Primal plan was socially dictated that I never deliberately cheated.

Comment

While I like the lax approach to Primal, I sometimes wonder if I need to be more militant in my day to day eating. It's rather obvious I don't have a flipping clue as to what I'm doing aside from the obvious "don't drink soda or eat pasta" kinda thing. If I did know much more beyond that, I assume I'd have more success losing fat. Maybe I am too new to be intellectually winging it?

I've been watching a lot of Mark's stuff on youtube and trying to read on here in my limited free time. I now know calories have context and I've seen marks typical day of eating with no breakfast, big ass salad for lunch, steak and veggies for dinner with MAYBE some wine and dark chocolate or blueberries after as a treat........and then I see mark. Older than me, ripped to shreds physically, very fit and I'm left even more puzzled. How did he get his required grams of protein with that day or eating? That must have bene a massive steak! Were there enough calories? How many calories do I need? And then boom, I'm lost. I don't find myself getting full blown mad at many things anymore but geesh, this topic can leave me disgusted at how simple it looks for others and how complex, apparently, it needs to be for me. All to lose 20 lbs. lol

100% agree. It is a long term way of eating and living and that separates it from all the fad stuff. It is nomal. To me it is a very easy thing. Once I got past my semi-addictions to bread/pasta, fast foods, and coca cola, I found it very simple and easy to eat plenty of what I enjoyed, and also quite easy to not partake of the office cookies, doughnuts, etc. I also found that I was good with not having "cheat days/meals." There were plenty of times when deviating some from the Primal plan was socially dictated that I never deliberately cheated.

Comment

Working...
                              X