Ad Widget

Collapse

Day 1 - Kinda lost as to where to begin.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're not losing weight, then you need to eat less food. If you eat only a few foods, you can decrease portion sizes without even knowing about calories. If you have a lot of variety - which will not help your goal, but can be done - then you do have to have a rough idea of calories, unless your appetite has spontaneously been lowered. I assume that hasn't happened to your appetite.
    I moved to primalforums.com to escape the spam.

Comment

Originally posted by Tlhfirelion View Post
      While I like the lax approach to Primal, I sometimes wonder if I need to be more militant in my day to day eating. It's rather obvious I don't have a flipping clue as to what I'm doing aside from the obvious "don't drink soda or eat pasta" kinda thing. If I did know much more beyond that, I assume I'd have more success losing fat. Maybe I am too new to be intellectually winging it?

I've been watching a lot of Mark's stuff on youtube and trying to read on here in my limited free time. I now know calories have context and I've seen marks typical day of eating with no breakfast, big ass salad for lunch, steak and veggies for dinner with MAYBE some wine and dark chocolate or blueberries after as a treat........and then I see mark. Older than me, ripped to shreds physically, very fit and I'm left even more puzzled. How did he get his required grams of protein with that day or eating? That must have bene a massive steak! Were there enough calories? How many calories do I need? And then boom, I'm lost. I don't find myself getting full blown mad at many things anymore but geesh, this topic can leave me disgusted at how simple it looks for others and how complex, apparently, it needs to be for me. All to lose 20 lbs. lol
      Mark Sisson has never ever in his life been overweight... plus he uses TRT... don't forget he was an athlete and still is very active.

You want to be more successful? Do not fall for less meals (or less calories) in this stage. You will get there as soon as your body adjusts to the regimen. Just eat good food and don't go overboard on the fats. Eat 3 meals with protein/veggies and enough fat to make it palatable and don't worry. Get plenty of sleep and training as well as playtime. Do not count and do not try to conciously eat less, meaning you eat until you're full, not stuffed. Your body will let you know what it needs. Trust it. Go for a walk intstead of watching videos. Stop reading into all those details which will only confuse you more. Focus on the basics. Have fun with it.

You have a very physical and stressful job. Try to relax in your free time by doing something you enjoy. You can do this. 20 lbs is nothing, especially in the long run. Start a journal if you like, list your meals if you want some more input on details. Perhaps it's better if you cut back on the yogurt and add some other protein to that meal or eat some more green veggies (what goes into your smoothies?) Drink enough water and nothing else (aside from some coffee/tea). But remember, those are just guesses. There are people here that do very well on little to no carbs, but some don't, depending on their activity level. Eat your sweet potato if you like, or add some fruit to your breakfast or lunch, but don't forget to have protein for each of your 3 meals, be it eggs/fowl/fish or meat, but don't count on your yogurt for protein (there is 10 grams per 100 gram in nonfat, so even less in fullfat, however meat has 20-25 grams per 100 grams...), which means 3 portions of meat give you a lot more protein than you get now (don't know how big your steaks are... lol).
      "Don't sweat the small stuff and relax about the whole process"

Comment

Do you have the Primal Blueprint Fitness e-book? Check your PMs for more info...

http://forum.marksdailyapple.com/privatemessage/index

Comment

Originally posted by sharperhawk View Post
          If you're not losing weight, then you need to eat less food. If you eat only a few foods, you can decrease portion sizes without even knowing about calories. If you have a lot of variety - which will not help your goal, but can be done - then you do have to have a rough idea of calories, unless your appetite has spontaneously been lowered. I assume that hasn't happened to your appetite.
          Thank you for your reply. No, I don't have a lot of variety really. I eat the same 12-14 or so foods the vast majority of the time. The main reason for that is not wanting bread and being so busy makes cooking very unappealing. I also don't like many vegetables and it takes a ton to fill me up and keep me full. I don't have (and I'll admit that sometimes I don't make) the time to sit down and eat a lot of veggies when I know I'll be hungry in 2 hours. Todays meals were:

Breakfast - tablespoon of grassfed butter, coffee with cream, fish oil pill, multi and garden of life probiotic.
          Lunch was greek yogurt with cherries, 3 glasses of water and some coffee with cream a bit later.
          Mid - afternoon snack was 4 small slices of bacon leftover from yesterday.
          Dinner was 3 cans of albacore tuna mixed with 3 cut up hardboiled eggs, mayo, mustard, a little salt and pepper.

Is this a lot of food or not a lot of food? To me it doesn't really seem like I am overeating but I may not realize it.

I worked out this afternoon for about 30 minutes. Brand X adult workout.

I need to get more veggies I realize that. I'm working on breaking some habitual stuff and it just doesn't dawn on me when I'm making a meal. I live and die by my phone calendar so I think I'll add some reminders to get those in for awhile till it's habit.

Comment

Breakfast - tablespoon of grassfed butter, coffee with cream, fish oil pill, multi and garden of life probiotic.
            Lunch was greek yogurt with cherries, 3 glasses of water and some coffee with cream a bit later.
            Mid - afternoon snack was 4 small slices of bacon leftover from yesterday.
            Dinner was 3 cans of albacore tuna mixed with 3 cut up hardboiled eggs, mayo, mustard, a little salt and pepper.

Is this a lot of food or not a lot of food? To me it doesn't really seem like I am overeating but I may not realize it.
            Not a lot of food, unless your cans of tuna were unusually large, and your serving size of yogurt/cherries was gigantic.
            Finally have given up on MDA Forum.
            My friends, I'll see ya at primalforums.com where I'm user #4, and we do have a moderator.

Comment

That day of food doesn't sound like a lot. However, one day of food and one day's weight don't mean much. Track it if you like, or don't. Less food means less over the whole time period that you're trying to lose weight.

Oh, by the way, the butter in the coffee is bullshit. That is not helping your cause. Adding a little fat to enhance flavor is OK (within reason). Eating fat inherent in whole foods is OK (within reason). Going out of your way to eat refined fats is just as counterproductive as going out of your way to eat refined sugar.
              I moved to primalforums.com to escape the spam.

Comment

The cans of tuna were the smaller ones you'd typically think of, 150 grams per can I think. I've had 2 home improvement projects fall in my lap so I kinda fell off the radar. The good news is no need to workout when you're digging and shoveling gravel and tearing out drywall all day. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by sharperhawk View Post
                  That day of food doesn't sound like a lot. However, one day of food and one day's weight don't mean much. Track it if you like, or don't. Less food means less over the whole time period that you're trying to lose weight.

Oh, by the way, the butter in the coffee is bullshit. That is not helping your cause. Adding a little fat to enhance flavor is OK (within reason). Eating fat inherent in whole foods is OK (within reason). Going out of your way to eat refined fats is just as counterproductive as going out of your way to eat refined sugar.
                  took me a second to figure out what you meant about butter in coffee, then I realized I didn't clarify (haha). I didn't put the butter IN my coffee, just ate it as a quick snack, nothing more. I tried that bullet proof coffee once with coconut oil and crapped like a Christmas goose. It tasted awful as well so I don't sully coffee with anything but some heavy cream.

Bth you and rig stated that my day of eating eating doesn't sound like a lot, is it enough? I'll admit I find not having macro numbers to refer too leaves me guessing and maybe there's a method to that madness I can't see yet.

Yesterday was coffee and cream times times two for breakfast. IKEA meatballs, mashed potatoes and gravy for lunch, large chicken breast for dinner. 10 bottles of water thruout the day. I was working on a retaining wall all day and didn't have the time to eat more and was too tired to do so.

Comment

One more time: Eat when hungry. If your hunger stays in check you are OK. Trust your body to know when it needs more fuel. I found that when I first started, my appetite went down significantly while I was losing weight. I didn't eat until I was hungry, and when the hunger pangs came, they were strong.
                    Finally have given up on MDA Forum.
                    My friends, I'll see ya at primalforums.com where I'm user #4, and we do have a moderator.

Comment

Originally posted by Rig D View Post
                      One more time: Eat when hungry. If your hunger stays in check you are OK. Trust your body to know when it needs more fuel. I found that when I first started, my appetite went down significantly while I was losing weight. I didn't eat until I was hungry, and when the hunger pangs came, they were strong.
                      +1

Comment

Originally posted by Rig D View Post
                        I'll keep going with that. I do drink coffee in the morning but thats my ritual.

Comment

Hi, don't be overwhelmed. You can start slowly everyday and eventually will make it a habit.

Comment

Working...
                          X