Ad Widget

Collapse

Did you have the "carb flu" when starting Primal or Paleo?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you have the "carb flu" when starting Primal or Paleo?

And if so, how long did it last? I am already depressed and in pain 24/7. This "carb flu" crap when detoxing and starting this new way of eating has me close to not even giving this a try.
    Thanks!

how long have you been eating primal?
    for me, the flu feeling passed at day five, and the mental fogginess and lethargy passed about 2 1/2 weeks in. im on my third week now, have lost 9 lbs and am sprinting. its amazing. drink meat broth, full fat, eat fat then eat some more fat. it helps your body switch more efficiently. i also walked gently and sweated alot, to get through the withdrawal. this is normal, we are addicts. carb, sugar, starch addicts. drink tons of water, as well.

Comment

I have not eaten primal or paleo ever. I am researching very in depth as I have many health issues already and am overweight, and I honestly cannot fathom being sick for more than a day or two along with how I already feel. I posted I here my story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d17722-26.html but posted this thread to get specifics from users as to whether they experienced this or not and for how long if so. Thanks!

Comment

You do not have to be low-carb when following PB. You can still eat eat rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, bananas, fruit, etc. In my case, I was eating all of those things and still lost 22 pounds in 8 months. (It involved giving up dairy, though.) Nowadays if I try to eat low-carb, I don't function very well, and I'm not really all that active. I would love to lose another 20 pounds, but not at the expense of feeling good.
        As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

Comment

Originally posted by Danzaroonj View Post
          I honestly cannot fathom being sick for more than a day or two along with how I already feel.
          That's reality though, it will take around 3-5 days, during which time you will be totally shut down.

Comment

It's because you are changing what you feed your gut, so there's a mass die-off of some types of bacteria.

Some things to note:
            1. You only need to restrict carbs heavily if you're actively shooting for Ketosis. Many on here are not striving for that.
            2. The 'zone of misery' is when you're borderline ketosis, and eating too many carbs to stay there easily. If this is you, either eat more or less carbs (to get into Ketosis properly, or be happier eating more carbs).

My reccomendation would be to add in more vegetables and particularly potatoes into your diet. That will alleviate most of the short term symptoms of cutting out wheat etc.
            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
            bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Ok thanks y'all. I may just have to wait until I can have someone here to help with my kids and be mentally prepared to feel like crap.

Comment

Ok thanks y'all. I may just have to wait until I can have someone here to help with my kids and be mentally prepared to feel like crap.
                I think you are way overblowing this and anticipating it being way worse than it will be. You should still eat food, and lots of it. Just make it good, real food and you will be fine. I have taken care of my kids by myself while having actual serious illness in the past, as I'm sure many people have. I am not sure why you think you will need help. If you are super worried about it, just ease into it, instead of going full bore from the start.

I am saying this nicely: Suck it up. Don't add drama.

Comment

Yeah, no thanks for being so rude. Way to make someone never stay here

Comment

Ps for future reference in your dealings with humans. NEVER tell someone with severe anxiety to suck it up. And you will NEVER persuade someone to your way of life by being a jerk.

Comment

Agree, planning is smart!

That's exactly what I did, waited until Thur to start, Fri was okay, crashed all Sat/Sun, then by Mon I was ready for work (almost, it was hard). If you have a lot going on, you definitely need to time it right.

Comment

I think k dels reply was fair and meant kindly, as is my reply. So please take this as its meant, as advice from one who has been there and just wants to help others get started, -and succeed.
                        When you start, you will be detoxing. You might well have a headache and feel out of sorts. Drink water and be happy to know that the symptoms show you are on the right track,you are on the first rung of the better health ladder and the only way is up. You will feel 'off' for 4 or 5 days (stick with it),then you will emerge feeling great!!! Go on, treat yourself to this experience, treat yourself to a better life and good health!

Comment

I think "carb flu" is way overblown. I suppose some percentage of people feel crappy for a few days, but even that isn't like actually being sick. For the most part I wouldn't be concerned.

Sent via lightsaber

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                            I think "carb flu" is way overblown. I suppose some percentage of people feel crappy for a few days, but even that isn't like actually being sick. For the most part I wouldn't be concerned.
                            You sound like a healthy guy from your posts, also you might be young? Maybe it didn't hit you.

If a person has been eating high carb for 40 years and then suddenly stops, obvious the body is going to freak out.

I was completely unable to THINK for days. Totally zombied. But then you get it over with, and it's all great on paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post

I was completely unable to THINK for days.
                              Years? :P

Sent via lightsaber

Comment

Working...
                              X