Ad Widget

Collapse

Did you have the "carb flu" when starting Primal or Paleo?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i had the dreaded 'carb flu' for a couple of weeks. it peaked at day 5 and got increasingly better. as a person who has made it through opiate withdrawal a couple of times, it seemed i dont know, right. it only proved to me that sugar and starch aka carbs are addicting and unhealthy. i kept walking slowly, drinking water, drinking broth and eating lots of fat. im on week three now, and its passed. i still get dizzy when i go too long without eating, yet i dont get seriously hungry anymore. im learning my body truly for the first time, finally. just hang tight and be gentle with yourself. just say no!

Comment

Hi Danzaroonj, you've been through quite a lot, and I can't even imagine what that's like to go through, wow. I can see why you'd be concerned about dealing with the carb flu. But as Jennifla says, there is no rule that says you have to drop your carb intake immediately when you start eating like this.

You can quite easily drop a lot of the sugar and grains from your diet and replace those carbs with healthy veggies, fruits, rice, and some starchy carbs like yams or potatoes. You could make it even more gradual by not cutting out the grains 100% at first, but work your way down to zero over the course of a week or two. You could do this without dropping your carb intake by a whole lot. I know some people have done this and it's made it easier on them. It all depends on your personality and if you are able to make yourself only eat a little of these things... for some people it's really tough to have a piece of bread a day, or a very small service of pasta, without snapping and ending up gorging on it.

It is worth the time and effort though. I hope you're able to (however gradually) get to a place where you're eating all healthy foods and getting your carbs down to a reasonable level. I think you'll be impressed with how easy it is to lose weight eating this way. Good luck!

Comment

I personally have tried low carb twice. The first time the carb flu hit me like a ton of bricks and I caved. The second time I had no carb flu at all. The difference the second time was that I spent a couple of weeks lowering my carbs gradually. I didn't just cut carbs cold turkey. Perhaps try that? I do know that carb flu is a very individual thing though; what worked for me may not work for you.

I will reiterate what has already been said though - paleo is not inherently low carb, it's more moderate carb. Maybe try cutting out the sweets and grains but still eat rice/potatoes and lots of fruit/veg...?

Comment

Working...
        X