Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back after a couple of years away...

So, I was really successful on this plan several years back, lost tons of weight (well over 100 lbs).

But then I got a bit worried by high cholesterol results and a stern warning from my doc. Then I got a horrible horrible kidney stone that was so painful I'd probably have preferred death, and was told by my docs to stop eating meat.

So I did, and I've been drifting for the last couple of years, not really knowing where I'm going with the diet thing. And I've gained back all the weight I ever lost. But now I find myself lurking here again, eating pretty much primal for the last several weeks.

No idea where I'm headed long term in a dietary sense, but just thought I'd say hey.

Welcome back!

Did the doctors say there was a direct correlation between eating meat and kidney stones? My husband had kidney stones before going paleo and has only had 1 minor incident in the 4 years he's been paleo.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Welcome back. I feel your pain with the stones, although mine have been small.

I got stones after going Primal. Had nothing to do with meat. It was because I read that vitamin D3 was great stuff so I started taking a lot. Missed the info that you need to take K2 with the D. Since I started doing that, no more stones.

Here is a very thorough review of the research. It is a few years old but good.

The docs mostly told me to avoid oxalate-rich foods, which happens to include most of the healthiest ones. Then a nephrologist told me to just get some calcium at the same time. He said to take a Tums but I just try to have a bit of high-calcium food at the same time. Easy for me because I do dairy.

If you have read paleo lit at all, you know that the cholesterol issue is baloney.

Good luck!
      Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Comment

Welcome back. I feel your pain with the stones, although mine have been small.

I got stones after going Primal. Had nothing to do with meat. It was because I read that vitamin D3 was great stuff so I started taking a lot. Missed the info that you need to take K2 with the D. Since I started doing that, no more stones.

Here is a very thorough review of the research. It is a few years old but good.

The docs mostly told me to avoid oxalate-rich foods, which happens to include most of the healthiest ones. Then a nephrologist told me to just get some calcium at the same time. He said to take a Tums but I just try to have a bit of high-calcium food at the same time. Easy for me because I do dairy.

If you have read paleo lit at all, you know that the cholesterol issue is baloney.

Good luck!
        Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Comment

I wouldn't listen to doctors.

Seems like with the limited info we have here, they caused you more problems than they solved.

Comment

Welcome!
            I am also recently new to MDA (female, 62) I also have a recurring history of kidney stones most recent about 2 years ago and one salivary stone (about 10 years ago). I was also concerned when I started in July, but so far no stones. (1) drink water with a touch of lemon, helps keep stones from forming.
            (2) I have just started Vitamin K2 (-4, rather than -7) to also ensure no stones, plus it has a lot of other wonderful benefits - so read up on Vitamin K2. Also taking D3 and drinking lots of water.
            I think you can monitor how much oxylate rich food you eat and keep it on the low side, the meat won't give you stones.
            Good Luck

Comment

Working...
            X