Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to swing the heavier kb?

Hi to all thekb users (and those of you who would like to contribute without the odd jokes about kb)

today I bought a new kb (16kg, Dragon D.)

How would you make it from 12kg to 16kg swings?

I would do my sinister (4× 5,10,15,20 swings in 30sec) the following way:

Start with 16 kg for 5 swings, next workout do 5 and 10 with16kg, next 5,10,15 with 16 until I can do a full first set with the 16. Next time first set with 16, first 5 swings with 16 and go on with 12kg....until I can do all 4 sets with 16kg. Do you get it?
    I hope I will be there in 6 weeks.
    Does that sound doable or too easy. Does it make sense at all?
    Last edited by gergirl; 07-22-2015, 11:26 AM.

This is why the barbell people tell you barbells are better for strength because they are infinitely loadable at small increments. You lack the strength to swing that heavier kettlebell but have no other way to get from 12 to 16kg than take that enormous jump.

The good news is you'll be able to swing it soon enough. Just keep trying to swing it a little more. This will work at these relatively low weights. It probably would never work as a way to get up to swinging a 100kg kettlebell, if that's what you wanted to do.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
      This is why the barbell people tell you barbells are better for strength because they are infinitely loadable at small increments. You lack the strength to swing that heavier kettlebell but have no other way to get from 12 to 16kg than take that enormous jump.

The good news is you'll be able to swing it soon enough. Just keep trying to swing it a little more. This will work at these relatively low weights. It probably would never work as a way to get up to swinging a 100kg kettlebell, if that's what you wanted to do.
      no...never 100kg.

Comment

For me, the limiting factor on weight for KB swings is grip strength - I have a weak grip, and can't swing anything past 24kg. That's also the heaviest they have at my gym, despite my pleas for them to invest in a 28kg bell.

If the grip is a limiting factor for you as well, you could try straps. Otherwise your approach of doing as many with the heavier weight and then backing off is the only other way to do it.
        Click here for my hiking and backpacking Youtube Channel

Comment

Don't put straps on a bell you're not sure you can handle. In fact, if grip is a problem, work on that. Don't use straps while swinging anything!

I think your plan to increase the bell size is just fine. You'll know if you can do it based on whether you can keep proper form. If your back starts to hurt while you swing, you've done too much. Stop and finish the set with the lighter bell. Then try and do more next time. Form, form, form. You're doing the swings that are a result of a hip "snap", right? Arms just follow, they don't actually do any swings. You're not doing that one that swings the bell overhead, are you?

When I wanna use the heavier bell, I just use it. If I fatigue and form breaks down, I back off and try to do more next time.

Sonoran, just buy your own and bring it to the gym. That's what I would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

It's not an enormous jump, 4 kilos should not be a huge obstacle if you have been training hard. Make sure you use lots of hip drive. The KB should be almost weightless on the way up after the initial drive. If you can't handle all the reps (5-10-15-20) I'd encourage you to keep the same number of intervals, slowly building up to the same number of reps.

Something like 3-6-9-12 the first week then 4-8-12-16 then finally 5-10-15-20. Plug whatever numbers you want for however many intervals you work out for.

Comment

Yep, just start working the heavier KB into your sets.

You may only be able to swing it once at first, or even only to go height target than chest. Next time swing it a little higher or for more swings. If you can't swing it with good form, so back to your lighter Bell to finish that workout.

I highly recommend the forum on www.strongfirst.com for KB related questions. Pavel Tsatsouline himself often contributes to discussions.
              If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Thanks a lot for your replies! You really helped me out a lot!
                @eden:Yes, formformform, that is why I take kb classes from time to time.I don't do overhead swings!
                @ JimmyDamage: Vary the reps is a great suggestion.
                @misabi:I will have a look at the forum.
                Thanks again!

Comment

Have you ever though of switching up your KB routine? One day of your sinister workout one day of something else? Yesterday I did a really good mostly KB workout. 10 snatches 15 swings 30 double unders (scaled was 60 single jumps on a jump rope) for 5 rounds. I used 1.5pood (55lb)

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyDamage View Post
                    Have you ever though of switching up your KB routine? One day of your sinister workout one day of something else? Yesterday I did a really good mostly KB workout. 10 snatches 15 swings 30 double unders (scaled was 60 single jumps on a jump rope) for 5 rounds. I used 1.5pood (55lb)

You mean something really else or other swing routine?
                    I do indoor climbing 1 or 2 times a week and Yoga...
                    If I do not do the sinister I do pyramides. I switch between one and two arm swings, sometimes halos or around the worlds, bent over rows...

I have just joined the forum on strongfirst...they seemingly tey to keep the heartrate as low as possible during the swings. I am confused, becaus I have always thought of it as HIIT. Have to figure out why they (or some of them) try to do so.
                    Any ideas?
                    Last edited by gergirl; 07-23-2015, 11:26 AM.

Comment

First off, I would strongly advise against using straps with kettlebells - especially for swings or snatches. If something goes wrong, you need to bail, and you can't bail if you're strapped to the thing.

Regarding the larger jumps between kettlebell sizes, some may be interested in this article:

A Leap of Faith Between Kettlebell Sizes | StrongFirst

Personally when moving from the 24kg to the 32kg, it was a bit of a stretch, but not terrible. I just did fewer reps at first, and built up to my rep goal of ten. It only took 5-6 sessions to meet that goal in the first set, I think. Then I just did the same for subsequent sets, which is actually coming easier.

It's still progression to jump to 32kg and gradually raise the reps from five to ten, just as it's progression to keep the reps at ten, and gradually raise the weight from 24kg to 32kg. The end result is the same: ten reps with 32kg.

For me (and for many), the biggest factor was my grip (one-handed). What worked for me was adding another rep or two until I got to the goal. From there, it became easier to hit that ten reps in the next set, etc. until I was able to get all ten reps on all ten sets (well, nine sets so far).

Now I'm on a bit of a hiatus, but I plan to do the same thing to build back up to where I was, and progress from there.

Comment

Your step was 8kg, mine is only 4kg. I will try out the new kb on Saturday.
                        Should I post how it went?

Comment

Different movements. I love swings but you can also incorporate snatches, clean and jerk, and various squats among others. Not only is it a way to keep your workouts interesting you might also get a use for the different KB weights you are acquiring.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyDamage View Post
                            Different movements. I love swings but you can also incorporate snatches, clean and jerk, and various squats among others. Not only is it a way to keep your workouts interesting you might also get a use for the different KB weights you are acquiring.

I really like the swing squat sandwich.

Comment

Implemented the 16kg bell into my workout today. I did 50 swings (with breaks). Not as difficult as I thought

Comment

Working...
                              X