Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on intermediate program.

Hey everyone, I'm back after a short hiatus. I was looking for some suggestions on an effective strength program at this point in my training.

My lifts are now:
    Bench - 210
    OHP - 142.5
    Squat - 270
    Deadlift - 360

Feeling like crap trying to progress every workout, I switched from Grey Skull Lp to a beyond 5/3/1 template with joker sets and first set last, but I'm not sure the program is right for me.

I like the auto regulation feel with the joker sets and first sets last, but I think between the extra assistance and that, the volume will hinder my progress.

Any program suggestions?

Cut out the extra volume? 5/3/1's a very flexible program. Add or cut stuff until it suits you. I probably made my best progress on it when I was adding in some extra press and bench press sets, doing lots of upper body assistance, and only doing the required sets for squats and deadlifts.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
      Cut out the extra volume? 5/3/1's a very flexible program. Add or cut stuff until it suits you. I probably made my best progress on it when I was adding in some extra press and bench press sets, doing lots of upper body assistance, and only doing the required sets for squats and deadlifts.
      Okay, I'll try that. I've been doing the joker sets and first set last then a heavy BBB Variation, but I'm going to drop the volume. After your main bench did you light OHP or lighter Bench?

After Squats I plan on doing some Stiff leg Deads and after Deads some speed squats or pause squats with a lighter weight to lower volume.

Comment

Our numbers are very close.

I like BBB V2 where you do first set weight 10x5 on 5/5/5 week, 8x5 on 3/3/3 week and 5x5 on 5/3/1 week. I've been doing that with squat, bench and press. For the dead lift I do 3 sets rather than 5 -- and even skip those some weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by miata View Post
          Our numbers are very close.

I like BBB V2 where you do first set weight 10x5 on 5/5/5 week, 8x5 on 3/3/3 week and 5x5 on 5/3/1 week. I've been doing that with squat, bench and press. For the dead lift I do 3 sets rather than 5 -- and even skip those some weeks.
          That sounds like it might be a little better. Do you incorporate joker sets as well?

Comment

I recently switched to a H/L/M split after running Starting Strength. Not sure I'll make tons of gains, but I really like the variety and I get a pretty good workout every session (heavy isn't so heavy it destroys me, light isn't so light I feel like I did nothing). I'm not that far off from you (though I don't bench so have no idea where I'd be) but my work sets (3-5) max at 315 for squat, 300 for DL, 115 for press at a BW of 186/7.

Comment

Originally posted by rjwashington421 View Post
              That sounds like it might be a little better. Do you incorporate joker sets as well?
              I'm still trying to grow the balls for serious joker sets. I've played with them just a little after a reset or early in a cycle where I have the headroom.

Comment

Originally posted by rjwashington421 View Post
                Okay, I'll try that. I've been doing the joker sets and first set last then a heavy BBB Variation, but I'm going to drop the volume. After your main bench did you light OHP or lighter Bench?

After Squats I plan on doing some Stiff leg Deads and after Deads some speed squats or pause squats with a lighter weight to lower volume.
                After benching, I did 3x10 benches at 50% of the training max (pretty much a lazy version of BBB).
                In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

For the dead lift I do 3 sets rather than 5 -- and even skip those some weeks.

Comment

Working...
                  X