No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licensure coming to a state near you!

https://www.t-nation.com/training/bi...hing-you-squat

For those with a small(er) government mindset, this is bothersome.....

I've already got some ideas for a screenplay based on this...

In a world where overhead presses, deadlifts, full-depth squats and pretty much any other useful exercise are outlawed, health is guided by the professional minds of licensed personal trainers, armed with knowledge about the usefulness of balancing on Bosu balls, always keeping the muscles confused, and doing lots of medium-effort cardio. Some people choose to disobey the law. It's up to the brave agents of the EEA (Exercise Enforcement Administration) to bring these people to justice.

EEA Agent: What's that in your bag, you piece of scum?
    Criminal: I don't know what you're talking about, sir.
    EEA Agent: There in that tupperware, it looks like chalk to me.
    Criminal: Uhhhh, no! It's just cocaine! I sweater Gawd!!!
    EEA Agent: What, are you trying to get a lesser sentence? Quit stinking up the air with all that bullshit coming out of your mouth. I can see the calluses on your hands. You've been deadlifting - heavy - probably at least double your bodyweight. That's a felony, hombre.

TV Reporter: What's the news on the recent Planet Fitness bust?
    Head of local EEA office: This particular Planet Fitness was just a front. Walking through the doors, it seemed legit at first glance. Treadmills, no dumbbells above 40 lb, the Lunk Alarm, you know, the usual. But our agents found a hidden room in the back, fully sound-proofed and full of contraband. We found 2 power racks, a lifting platform, 3 barbells, thousands of lbs of iron plates and bumber plates, and even pairs of dumbbells going up to 200 lb. It looks like it was a serious operation.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

Sheesh ... yep, squat-and-butter police are a very real risk of state regulation.
      5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
      Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
      Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
      Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
      ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Originally posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
        I've already got some ideas for a screenplay based on this...

In a world where overhead presses, deadlifts, full-depth squats and pretty much any other useful exercise are outlawed, health is guided by the professional minds of licensed personal trainers, armed with knowledge about the usefulness of balancing on Bosu balls, always keeping the muscles confused, and doing lots of medium-effort cardio. Some people choose to disobey the law. It's up to the brave agents of the EEA (Exercise Enforcement Administration) to bring these people to justice.

EEA Agent: What's that in your bag, you piece of scum?
        Criminal: I don't know what you're talking about, sir.
        EEA Agent: There in that tupperware, it looks like chalk to me.
        Criminal: Uhhhh, no! It's just cocaine! I sweater Gawd!!!
        EEA Agent: What, are you trying to get a lesser sentence? Quit stinking up the air with all that bullshit coming out of your mouth. I can see the calluses on your hands. You've been deadlifting - heavy - probably at least double your bodyweight. That's a felony, hombre.

TV Reporter: What's the news on the recent Planet Fitness bust?
        Head of local EEA office: This particular Planet Fitness was just a front. Walking through the doors, it seemed legit at first glance. Treadmills, no dumbbells above 40 lb, the Lunk Alarm, you know, the usual. But our agents found a hidden room in the back, fully sound-proofed and full of contraband. We found 2 power racks, a lifting platform, 3 barbells, thousands of lbs of iron plates and bumber plates, and even pairs of dumbbells going up to 200 lb. It looks like it was a serious operation.
        Great movie! lol.... too bad its a reality TV show instead....

Comment

I have to laugh- I work out at times at the Y if I am doing cardio. So I see a lot, and the classes have a ton of squatting and deadlifting in them (granted, light weight, high rep) and people PACK those classes. It seems like people really enjoy squatting and deadlifting.

Meanwhile, the personal trainers do bizarre shit with bosu balls and those TRX things and it looks like physical therapy. The latest was an out of shape woman doing modified TRX push ups. Like why not just have her do simple, on the knee push ups and work her way up? Why is it that they see the value of simplicity in group classes, but private sessions have bizarre exercises that no way in hell could you do right on your own?

I guess at the end of the day, getting fit is pretty simple and really, once you have the basics, you don't need coaching and there is not much need for trainers unless you need motivation (legit). Licensing just seems like overkill, other than to limit competition.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Sad state of affairs. Completely agree with this article by Rip.

My own state organization is guilty of much the same, and it certainly does come down to limiting competition. They spend so much effort assuring that what we call CMT (chiropractic manipulative therapy, joint mobilization, adjustments...ect) is not allowed to be performed by PTs .....and at the same time the PTs spend just as much time, effort, and money assuring DCs cannot get payed for prescribing and directing in office therapeutic exercise.....it is absurd. If you have the knowledge base (i.e. certification or your degree/education included it) and get good results with your method then you should be allowed to utilize all at your disposal.

Oddly enough both groups are being attacked by the state nutrition board of dieticians and trying to limit practitioners of any sort from providing nutritional advice to patients unless they are licensed by some other agency...personally I can qualify for the ACBN if worse comes to worse.
            Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-31-2015, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X