Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powe lifter vs Calisthenics

Just watched this and I still think it's comparing apples to oranges, but it was interesting to watch and makes you think what is the best method for general prepared fitness for a lot of different strength qualities.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx45nUETmIA

Al

That's what happens when ya talk shit...

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
      That's what happens when ya talk shit...

Specificity.

(I was on the edge of my seat for street guy's back squat)
      Ht: 5'8"
      Wt: 166
      BF: 9%

Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

Comment

Next time let them test in strength movements more similar to the calisthenic's stuff...
        "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Why not both?!

5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
          Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
          Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
          Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
          ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Interesting but it seemed waaaaay skewed towards the power lifters strengths. Obviously with the bench and squat but I'd imagine that guy probably trains pull ups and dips too. Bar muscle ups or higher volume non weighted pull ups might have evened the playing field. That or maybe some actual movement.. Not just lifting weights.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

totally agree
              5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
              Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
              Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
              Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
              ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

I think that you can't argue that the calisthenics guy isn't amazing. He also has a very different set of fitness skills that weren't tested like coordination and balance. I would have like to have seen a skill like pistols tested or walking handstands.

Also, the right form can make your bench a bazillion times better and the wrong form can make it a lot worse.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Strength movements are specific they always carry with them a large neurological component so of course a power lifter would score way better in bench press, squat, weighted dips and pull-ups because those are exercises that most power lifters usually like to do! Try testing an Olympic weight lifter against a power lifter and test them in clean and jerk, snatch, high jumps and front squat. I wonder who wins…
                  "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

This reminds me of a section of Simple & Sinister where Pavel talks about an imaginary competition between a marathon runner and a bodybuilder (more strength trainer than pump artist) - taken from Fred Hatfield.

The competition is carrying 20 100-pound kegs up to the second story of a pub. Who would win? Probably the bodybuilder.

I think the next example is having each carry his own bodyweight up the stairs. Who would win? Hatfield says probably a toss-up, but more than likely the bodybuilder.

The next example is putting a weighted vest on the marathon runner so his bodyweight is the same as the bodybuilder, then having them carry something. Who would win? That would be obvious, as you weighted one poor guy down.

And the point is, you can devise just about anything to make sure "your" guy wins.

In the case of the video in the OP, yeah, they could have had them both do pullups for time, or muscle-ups, or front levers, or whatever, and calisthenics guy could have won.

Comment

Shocker. The weightlifter was better at lifting weights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
                      I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
                      SW (Feb 2012): 278
                      SBF: 26% (Scale)
                      CW (Sept 2015): 200
                      CBF: 17% (Scale)

Comment

In order to have a show, they have to have compete in a motion that both of them are capable of doing. The airborne pullup toe touch the Street guy was doing (or the spinning airborne pullups) is likely not something the powerlifter could even come close to doing. It was good they used rings rather than bars, but throwing in something like muscle ups would have made it a lot more balanced. Neither one of them had particularly good technique on the rings, though.

It was pretty obvious that the street guy trains for flashiness of movement rather than strict form like a gymnast.

It would have been interesting to see a footrace as well, done last. Something in the 400-800m range would have been a good test.

Comment

Good work for power lifter but skewed in his favour. Two events for him and two aimed at the other guy would have been good. Also something alien to both of them eg a triathlon would have been interesting to check carryover.

Richard
                          It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Comment

Working...
                          X