Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how soon to eat

hello, I was wondering if there's an advisable time before one needs to eat, after lifting weights. i.e how soon do I need to eat?

I forgot to get my lunch today, and was planning to go for a workout.I was planning to have lunch after the workout, but now, can only eat after going home. so I won't really get to eat until 4-5 hrs after my workout.

Is that good? bad? doesn't matter?

Good and bad. There are some cool benefits of eating right after lifting, and some different but also cool benefits of not eating right after lifting. I'd plan on remembering your lunch next time, but it's really not a catastrophe.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Thanks Rich. What do you think are the good and the bad? I am curious.

Comment

The post-workout window is a period of increased insulin sensitivity. Meaning the muscles suck up nutrients like no other time. But fasting post-workout tends to have some hormonal benefits as well, including (IIRC) increased HGH production.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Relevant MDA post from 2008: Post Workout Fasting | Mark's Daily Apple
          and 2012: How Fasting Improves Workout Recovery | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
            Thanks, yodie. I hadn't remembered where I'd read about this stuff, but I think the first link was it.
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
            X