Ad Widget

Collapse

Up to 40 minutes lifting heavy? 1 HIIT session a week required? seriously?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up to 40 minutes lifting heavy? 1 HIIT session a week required? seriously?

Hi, I'm new to the forums and have two questions about exercise. I apologise if this has already been answered - I'm not yet familiar with traversing the jungle of old topics.

Firstly, we know that exercise is far more beneficial when it is condensed into a short session. Quality over quantity. If this is the case, why does Mark recommend "15-40 minutes lifting heavy things"? I've always been told that the max time you should be spending working out is 20 minutes. after that, it's diminishing returns.

And if the range goes all the way up to 40, what does that mean for me, who only does it in 12 minutes? Is this not enough? I do dumbbell circuit training, and after those 12 minutes I'm dead. I wake up with DOMS the next day. Am I supposed to rest for 1 minute and then do some more training to realise I still have more energy and muscle fibres to tear?

I also have another question. Everywhere I go, the fitness industry says you should do HIIT/sprinting between workout days. But Mark says it only needs to be done every 7-10 days. Am I allowed to just do some walking after a day of lifting? I've been doing intense burpee sessions in between workout days and I fear that it's overtraining now!

Thanks.

Depends on your results. You are "allowed" to do whatever you please. If what you are doing is working, go for it. If not, tweak and see what happens.
    My first journal - http://forum.marksdailyapple.com/for...mal-highlights

Comment

Originally posted by Serculis View Post
      Firstly, we know that exercise is far more beneficial when it is condensed into a short session. Quality over quantity. If this is the case, why does Mark recommend "15-40 minutes lifting heavy things"? I've always been told that the max time you should be spending working out is 20 minutes. after that, it's diminishing returns.
      There are no hard rules that apply universally to everyone. In fact, the optimal workout time for the same person will vary, depending on the type of exercise he's doing, the body part he's working out, and the intensity of the exercise, among other things. And even as a generalization, "the maximum time you should work out is 20 minutes" is a foolish rule.

When I'm "greasing the groove" (e.g. doing pull ups every time I walk through my doorway), I could technically be working out for hours each day. The length of my workout if I'm deadlifting for multiple sets of my 3-rep max will be different from the length of my workout on the day I choose to do 15-rep sets of overhead press.

And if the range goes all the way up to 40, what does that mean for me, who only does it in 12 minutes? Is this not enough? I do dumbbell circuit training, and after those 12 minutes I'm dead. I wake up with DOMS the next day. Am I supposed to rest for 1 minute and then do some more training to realise I still have more energy and muscle fibres to tear?
      Nobody knows what that means for you. Experiment with different types and lengths of workouts and see what effect they have on your body. The only person who can figure out what's right for you is you.

Comment

Working...
      X