No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan John's 10000 Swing Workout. A review of the programs and my results

Hi guys,

Thought I'd post my results after recently completing Dan John's 10000 Swing workout given I know the popularity of kettle bells on the MDA forums. The results surprised even myself and fundamentally changed how I'll train in the future. Let me know what you think!

Get Lean Stay Lean: What Happened When I Swung a Kettlebell Ten Thousand Times in Thirty Five Days

given I know the popularity of kettle bells on the MDA forums
    This is your very first post and yet you claim this ? You a long time lurker or just a spammer ?

Comment

Lol. Long time lurker as guilty! I last posted on an antibiotic article back in 2010 (I'm a doc) but the debate got so heated I haven't commented since. Going to stick to posting training stuff I think this time round.

Comment

Originally posted by adi kumar View Post
        Lol. Long time lurker as guilty! I last posted on an antibiotic article back in 2010 (I'm a doc) but the debate got so heated I haven't commented since. Going to stick to posting training stuff I think this time round.
        Hahahaha.....good to hear, I look forward to more posts and debate on this section !

Comment

Thank you for sharing this! Good on you for pushing past "the wall" at 700. Maybe I'll consider something like this...

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

I've done that workout (500 swings) twice now. I did it yesterday and yes, my glutes are in pain. I think once I finish my current program I will do the whole 30 days.

And congrats- can't imagine doing that day in and day out!

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Not a big fan of kettlebells here, but your results are interesting and your report is well prepared. Thanks for sharing it.
              In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
                Not a big fan of kettlebells here, but your results are interesting and your report is well prepared. Thanks for sharing it.
                You just don't like them personally or...? Just curious. Sorry for the thread highjack! ;-)

Comment

Kettlebells are fantastic and Dan John's books and ideas as well.

Congratulations on your success with this program.

Comment

Originally posted by d-roc
                    Great review, you got amazing resulst. Nice graphs too.

This is my favorite part:

"Maxing out and going to failure will not make you stronger. It will only satisfy your ego and give you a snapshot of where you’re at, at a given moment in time. Strength is built by constant submaximal lifting and never missing a rep."
                    Your favorite part is my least favorite

It's a recipe for mediocrity. If you never failed in life, love or lifting then you have never reached your potential. Fear of failure is what holds us back. You have never been turned down by a woman? Then I guarantee you haven't been with as many as you could have. Never failed at business? Then you never tried anything new that took you out of your comfort zone. Never missed a rep? Well, the weight room is much the same IMO.

I didn't know what HIT was at the time, but we use to do to failure plus two assisted reps every workout when I was an athlete. We all got stronger. That isn't to say sub max lifting not to failure can't make you strong.....but the opposite is soundly disproven as well.
                    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-01-2014, 06:54 AM.

Comment

It wasn't until I started doing overhead presses to failure that I was able to start making incremental progress. And I have to do a LOT of them, dammit. 5 sets with the barbell, then 5 sets with the dumbbells, twice a week. That's 5 sets of however many I can do to failure.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by edennperez1 View Post
                        You just don't like them personally or...? Just curious. Sorry for the thread highjack! ;-)

Yeah, they have their uses but just don't work well for any of my goals. I'd rather use a barbell, a sled, or some dumbbells.
                        In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

Good luck if you try. I was really surprised with the positive changes, both physical and mental, from this program.

Comment

Thanks a lot magnolia! I actually enjoyed the monotony of the workouts. It meant I could really switch my brain off and things became a lot more "meditative". Hope the glutes have returned to their former glory.

Comment

"Your favorite part is my least favorite

It's a recipe for mediocrity. If you never failed in life, love or lifting then you have never reached your potential. Fear of failure is what holds us back. You have never been turned down by a woman? Then I guarantee you haven't been with as many as you could have. Never failed at business? Then you never tried anything new that took you out of your comfort zone. Never missed a rep? Well, the weight room is much the same IMO.

I didn't know what HIT was at the time, but we use to do to failure plus two assisted reps every workout when I was an athlete. We all got stronger. That isn't to say sub max lifting not to failure can't make you strong.....but the opposite is soundly disproven as well."

Thanks for the feedback! I think the brevity of my summarising points left things wide open to interpretation-which is a good thing! Specifically with this point, I feel that to build strength in the longterm, sub maximal lifting, FREQUENT lifting is the key. Failing on lifts in the gym will let you know exactly how strong you are at a given moment, and can be seen as more as a "test", but I don't think failing at 1 rep maxes will help build strength all that much if done regularly. However as you surely appreciate, the variables with regard to frequency and rep range are huge/(infinite).

I agree with you in regards to failing in "life" in general being a good thing. We learn from our mistakes and come back better and stronger (and learn to pick ourselves up). However these are very general things and I personally don't specifically take the notion of failure being a good thing in life and therefore apply it directly to how I should train.

Having said that, we all have our own path to follow and what works for us, and so if it's working keep doing it! Thanks again for the mental stimulation.

Comment

Working...
                              X