Squat Rant.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squat Rant.

My squat still sucks. I can't seem to get past 70-75lbs. This is so frustrating. I've posted form check videos, I've watched a ton of recommended videos, etc, and I still can't get it right. I still don't know what the bounce/flex reflex (or whatever it's called) is. I don't feel anything like that. And I tend to lean? use? my right side more which I think has resulted in a musculature imbalance. My right paraspinal muscle is bigger than the left side and gets irritated when I work out. I'm currently seeing a chiropractor (unrelated) and he tells me to heat/ice after workouts and stretch. I took about 2 weeks off working out and it's not better. I should be able to squat far more than my bench press, which is only about 5lbs off from my squat. I have super tiny hands (ring size 4.5 to put in into perspective) and using the thumbless grip makes me feel like I don't have a good "grip" on the bar. I want to get a woman's barbell, but we're in the middle of *hopefully* buying a house that needs a lot of TLC.

I'm not sure if I'm asking for advice or just ranting. This is ridiculous. I decided on rant, but your advice is always welcome.

Oh, would a belt help?

Lol. Low bar.

Comment

Have you tried other variations? I've found the goblet squat to be quite useful in a therapeutic sense. It's not going to allow the load that low bar back squats will but it certainly can be used as a corrective exercise. There is absolutely no reason to add weight to a dysfunctional movement pattern. First move well...then move often. The goblet might help or not, but it's worth a shot in conjunction with your adjustments.

Comment

Originally posted by SpitFire View Post
        My squat still sucks. I can't seem to get past 70-75lbs. This is so frustrating. I've posted form check videos, I've watched a ton of recommended videos, etc, and I still can't get it right. I still don't know what the bounce/flex reflex (or whatever it's called) is. I don't feel anything like that. And I tend to lean? use? my right side more which I think has resulted in a musculature imbalance. My right paraspinal muscle is bigger than the left side and gets irritated when I work out. I'm currently seeing a chiropractor (unrelated) and he tells me to heat/ice after workouts and stretch. I took about 2 weeks off working out and it's not better. I should be able to squat far more than my bench press, which is only about 5lbs off from my squat. I have super tiny hands (ring size 4.5 to put in into perspective) and using the thumbless grip makes me feel like I don't have a good "grip" on the bar. I want to get a woman's barbell, but we're in the middle of *hopefully* buying a house that needs a lot of TLC.
        I wouldn't focus on "getting past" 70-75 lbs, or what your squat "should be" in relation to your bench. It's good to have goals, but this isn't a race. From what you've posted, it sounds like you simply aren't strong enough right now to handle this weight. Your left side is weaker, so your right side compensates. Your hands are too weak, so you don't feel confident gripping the bar. It's these supporting muscles that are holding you back at this point, rather than the big ones like the hams and glutes. Try lightening the load to the point where you can do everything with perfect form and don't feel as though you're leaning anymore, then add weight again. If it means increasing your reps for a few weeks, so be it.

Oh, would a belt help?
        A belt might allow you to squat more than the weight you're currently stuck on, but it won't do anything to fix your possibly dysfunctional movement patterns or strengthen your grip, so I wouldn't recommend using one at this point. I see belts as a tool for more advanced lifters who already have their form dialed in and just want to go super heavy for whatever reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
          Have you tried other variations? I've found the goblet squat to be quite useful in a therapeutic sense. It's not going to allow the load that low bar back squats will but it certainly can be used as a corrective exercise. There is absolutely no reason to add weight to a dysfunctional movement pattern. First move well...then move often. The goblet might help or not, but it's worth a shot in conjunction with your adjustments.
          Good suggestion. I was going to suggest something like split squats as well. Perhaps that would help with imbalances too. That's what I'd do

Or maybe even focus on learning the pistol squat. It's a new skill and it will help you develop regular squat strength and work on imbalances as well.

Comment

Can you squat just the bar (45 lb) with good form?
            In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

All of this is good advice. I did try a couple high bar squats at 55lbs to see how they felt. I'd say they felt a little better. Might go to goblets. Haven't decided. I will say that my back doesn't hurt right now. So that's good.

Originally posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
              Can you squat just the bar (45 lb) with good form?
              I'm like 95% sure, yes.

Sent from my XT1031 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                Good suggestion. I was going to suggest something like split squats as well. Perhaps that would help with imbalances too. That's what I'd do

Or maybe even focus on learning the pistol squat. It's a new skill and it will help you develop regular squat strength and work on imbalances as well.
                I'll have to look up split squats and pistol squats. Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

The 75-pound mark sucks and I hate it. I got stuck there for the longest time and I don't even know why.

I agree about dropping the weight and coming back up. Also, I know what Rip says, but the thumbless grip doesn't work for everyone. I got past the 95-pound sticking point by taking a full grip on the bar and squeezing really hard.

Comment

I'm like 95% sure, yes.
                    Look into different squat variations, but I'd just drop the weight a little and work my way back up. If someone benches more than they squat, it won't be like that for long. And make sure you're eating and sleeping enough and keeping stress as low as possible.
                    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
                      Look into different squat variations, but I'd just drop the weight a little and work my way back up. If someone benches more than they squat, it won't be like that for long. And make sure you're eating and sleeping enough and keeping stress as low as possible.
                      I'll definitely look up the different variations and see which is best. I've dropped the weight and came back up several times, but apparently I'm still not doing something right/not strong enough yet.

I know I could be eating more, so I'll be mindful of that. Sleep is good right now. Stress, well, hah. Buying a house, starting a new full time job (I was part time at my last one but it was pretty stressful near the end), and having a husband and toddler...LOL. I'll work on it.

Comment

have you tried exercises to strengthen your lower back? we did ab wheel, weighted good mornings and roman chair for ages and that sorted mine out. i still have a twist when i deadlift very heavy and my arms always look skew to me on the bar when i squat but i can still squat about 50kgs i think. i dont really ever back squat that much. more do variations. kneeling squat could also be the go. i am in love with these at the moment as they are so good for the hip flexors. i have been doing 3 sets of 20 at 60kgs. suddenly all those things like going up hills, running and wading thru soft sand have become alot easier so i am sold.

Comment

Also, paused squats can be helpful. The weight should be low when you do them.

Squats are really hard to get past sticking points, that's for sure. Lately mine kill my right elbow. I can't figure out what's changed.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

All of this is good advice. I did try a couple high bar squats at 55lbs to see how they felt. I'd say they felt a little better. Might go to goblets. Haven't decided. I will say that my back doesn't hurt right now. So that's good.

I actually high bar squat. It always felt better to me and since I don't compete in powerlifting competitions, I'm not trying to set world records or anything. I'd rather squat comfortably and enjoy the workout than force myself to lowbar squat and aggravate my old back injury

Comment

What about some mobility work? Maybe you have tight hamstrings or some other tight area that is causing this imbalance? I love the book Becoming a Supple Leopard by Dr. Kelly Starrett. You can also search in YouTube for his MobilityWOD channel.

https://m.youtube.com/user/sanfranciscocrossfit

I also like goblet squats for fixing imbalances. They're fixing mine for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Working...
                              X