Ad Widget

Collapse

Calories? Working out? How much is enough?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calories? Working out? How much is enough?

I am 25 y/o, F, 130 lb. I typically workout 6 days/wk. M, F 5 mile run, T, R conditioning, W short run/light weights, S bike ride, conditioning, or run. I read everywhere I should be eating 1200 calories + whatever I burn exercising, but I never know how much to add in. I realistically don't think I burn more than 300 calories/day working out. I am heavier than I typically weigh and it's definitely fat, not muscle. Should I eat less?!

People give a flat number for a base metabolic rate? That is insane!

I would plug in your specific info into a calculator like Myfitnesspal for a good guesstimate for you.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

Called overtraining.
      My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

first off stop running - do lifting 3x per week utilizing multi joint compound movements and a few HIIT sprints lasting no more than 15 mins. (build a sweat)

next eat high quality protein (at least 1g/lb bodyweight) and good slow digesting carbs - add more starchy carbs on lift days - cycle calories each day - keep body guessing - perhaps try Intermittent Fasting

you are training too much and the wrong way.

good luck

Comment

Originally posted by jemy3 View Post
          I am 25 y/o, F, 130 lb. I typically workout 6 days/wk. M, F 5 mile run, T, R conditioning, W short run/light weights, S bike ride, conditioning, or run. I read everywhere I should be eating 1200 calories + whatever I burn exercising, but I never know how much to add in. I realistically don't think I burn more than 300 calories/day working out. I am heavier than I typically weigh and it's definitely fat, not muscle. Should I eat less?!
          To answer your question no, you shouldn't eat less but if I were you I would review my macros. You may be eating less protein than you should be and too many carbs. Typically you should be eating 1-1.5 grams of protein for every pound of goal body weight. So if your goal is to be 130 pounds you should be consuming a minimum of 130 grams of protein a day. Make sense?

As for the running everyday, is there a reason why you run so much? Are you in training for a marathon or iron man?

Comment

I typically do 40-45% protein, and roughly 30 for fat and carbs. At 1200 calories, my carbs really only consist of vegetables and 1 apple per day. I will only run up to a half marathon, but currently I'm not training for any. I really just like working out once a day and I haven't found a routine that has a 6 day schedule..

Comment

I typically do 40-45% protein, and roughly 30 for fat and carbs. At 1200 calories, my carbs really only consist of vegetables and 1 apple per day. I will only run up to a half marathon, but currently I'm not training for any. I really just like working out once a day and I haven't found a routine that has a 6 day schedule..
              From your ratios your protein levels look pretty good. I guess the only other thing I would suggest for your meal plan would be to look at if you're taking in any hidden carbs from fruit juices or sport drinks.

As for training I would recommend cutting back on the running and starting to train using weights a few days a week at least. I know that might be a little bit of a challenge at first but you can rock it.

I've got a client of mine who used to do marathons twice a year and she came to me looking for how to to get a little leaner. She's been training with me for just under a year and is doing her first figure competition in November! She looks fantastic and I'm very proud of her. She is now lean, healthy and strong in the off season and still can run with her dad when she wants. Plus she did a half marathon in July and did very well.

If your goal is to get a bit leaner the best way is to gain some muscle. If you want to increase your time in your runs, the best way is to get stronger. Either way weights are an integral part of any health and fitness routine.

Comment

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm attempting the strength training and reducing the running. I guess I'll keep my calories at 1200 until I lose some fat then maybe increase it back to maintenance around 1400. Any ideas on how to curb craving sugar? I typically go for 4-5 days but then feel the need to totally eat a bunch of high sugar foods! Maybe this won't happen as much strength training?

Comment

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm attempting the strength training and reducing the running. I guess I'll keep my calories at 1200 until I lose some fat then maybe increase it back to maintenance around 1400. Any ideas on how to curb craving sugar? I typically go for 4-5 days but then feel the need to totally eat a bunch of high sugar foods! Maybe this won't happen as much strength training?
                  You'll still get it strength training unfortunately. It's going to take a little time for your body to use fats as an energy source vs sugars. The only way that I've really had any luck with it is either just deal with the cravings or wait until they are really bad and eat a tablespoon of organic butter or coconut oil. It sounds really gross but it gets your body's metabolism on track as to what fuel you want I to use very quickly.

If you find that you're having a lot of cravings all the time you may not be getting enough fats in your diet anyway so again check your macros.

Comment

I really just like working out once a day and I haven't found a routine that has a 6 day schedule.thanks

Comment

That is waaay too little calories for that amount of activity. You're probably craving sugar because your body is screaming for calories and carbohydrates to fuel your activity.

Comment

Workout and healthy food are very important to improve health and fitness. Eat fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, dairy products. Go for running, walking at least 30 to 45 minutes in a day. Practice push ups. bench press, chair squats, cable stretching and band resistance. It improve mood, make strong bones and muscles, boost energy, reduce joints pain, improve physical performance, improve heart functions and mental health.
                        befit tacoma
                        Last edited by David07; 10-12-2013, 06:03 AM.

Comment

You're not eating anywhere near enough. I also am in favor of cutting out one of the 5 mile runs, I feel you'd see better results with replacing the run with a weight training session. But I do disagree with the "overtraining" accusation. Overtraining for your super low calorie intake yes but over training is actually a lot harder to do than commonly thought.

Check out Eat to Perform |Eat to Perform I found it extremely helpful. I used to under eat by a lot as well. But a word of caution..slowly bring your calories up to give your body time to adjust/gauge where your actual maintinence/gain/lose numbers are.

Comment

Working...
                          X