No announcement yet.

100 mile bike ride on low-carb

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I just made about 10 little creamed coconut bars... they're about the size of a Larabar... I'm having second thoughts about eating them during my ride because I never could stomach coconut that well. I ate one just now and I don't feel too good. Not sure if it's the fiber or the fat. I don't get that from coconut milk. In general, is having a lot of fat during exercise detrimental?

Comment

Eating fat when exercising or before will keep lots of blood around your gut instead of in your muscles so it’s far from optimal…
      "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

100 mile bike ride on low-carb

Of-course some carbohydrate will be burned during a hill climb or whatever else, but it will likely be a very small amount and not enough to warrant the use of gels. That's the point of keto-adaption. Enabling the body to comfortably maintain a seemingly endless aerobic state, whilst effectively utilising stored carbohydrate for more intense periods.
        OP, I too get stomach issues when eating a dense coconut food. It's probably un-wise to eat them on the go.
        Last edited by Jenry Hennings; 05-16-2014, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by carnivroar View Post
          Yeah, I get that.

I don't have a heart rate monitor though. What's a good way to determine that I'm around 75%? My average moving speed on flat ground is about 17-18 mph.
          You need a HRM to figure it out. I went to REI and got a $60 Polar that did it for me--no fancy GPS and all that can make them really expensive. It was an eye-opener, wearing it walking and running, to find out what 55% to 75% felt like.

Comment

I trained for a marathon on vlc and it is a tough thing to do but great for getting into deep ketosis and I'm sure that I am still reaping the rewards of the adaptation that my body went through. I did suffer with some signs of decreased thyroid activity such as cold hands and a dip in libido however. I cycle carbs now and have found that it is easy to drop a bit of fat if required and I can also eat more without losing muscle definition. It is worth doing some experimenting if you want to improve performance and lose bodyfat. If you are going for the whole fat fuelled superman thing make sure you get plenty of electrolytes. I use lo-salt which is a 50-50 mix of potassium and sodium chlorides. Not sure if you have that? Mix it up in a glass of water and add some black strap molasses for iron, calcium and magnesium. Tastes like shit but works.
            Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
            www.primaljoy.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
              Of-course some carbohydrate will be burned during a hill climb or whatever else, but it will likely be a very small amount and not enough to warrant the use of gels. That's the point of keto-adaption. Enabling the body to comfortably maintain a seemingly endless aerobic state, whilst effectively utilising stored carbohydrate for more intense periods.
              OP, I too get stomach issues when eating a dense coconut food. It's probably un-wise to eat them on the go.
              Yeah, I decided against bringing those bars with me. I know I won't feel good.

So tomorrow I will have double-strength coffee in the morning, along with an EPIC bar and maybe one of my coconut bars. I'll have some salt as well.

I'll ride 100 miles and not eat anything during the ride. Maybe I'll have another coffee midway, and some salt too.

This is very interesting:

Steve Phinney – Low-Carb preserves Glycogen better than High Carb | Me and My Diabetes

Especially his claims that in ketosis, lactic-acid gets converted into glycogen. This could explain why I never get sore the next day from my long rides.

Comment

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~105 miles, 15.4 average mph, 6 hours 47 minutes.

For breakfast I only had a strong black coffee and one of my coconut bars.
                I drank a small black coffee (nothing added) after 50 miles.
                I brought one of my little coconut bars, which I ate after 60 miles, and an EPIC turkey bar which I ate at 85 miles.
                I also had about 1/2 teaspoon of salt through the ride.

I wasn't hungry AT ALL. In fact, I wasn't even hungry when I was making dinner. I only ate during the ride because I felt my leg muscles were cramping up and I figured coconut and cacao nibs have some potassium in it, so I ate it.

BLESS KETOSIS....

I added the pictures on my facebook: https://www.facebook.com/carnivroar/...9366938&type=3

Not many because I didn't want to stop riding!

Feel free to add me!
                Last edited by carnivroar; 05-18-2014, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Congratulations!!! You will now be awarded Paleobirds memorial price medal in pure solidified coconut fat from the Royal Ketosis Society...
                  "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Awesome! How are you feeling today? Semi-inspired by this, I ran 3 hours on trails, 2000ft elevation, on just water and a coffee before. Although my run fades into obscurity compared to a 100 mile bike-ride haha

Comment

Way to go! I'd love to hear how recovery is over the next few days--keep us posted, ok?

Comment

Thanks guys. I couldn't sleep last night because of all the coffee I had, so I took some melatonin. I ended up dreaming that I was riding my bike all night long, lol.

Woke up at 8am today with some allergies (pollen or dust, been getting them lately) so I took half of a Zyrtec,
                        then went back to sleep for another 3 hours.

I feel good right now, just a little headache, again probably because of the caffeine yesterday. That usually happens. I'm overall tired, and my legs feel a little sore. The only thing that hurts is the back of my neck/head, especially when I sneeze.

Going to buy some magnesium, potassium, and caffeine supplements for next time. I should also buy a bike helmet, lol...

Comment

Carnivroar, can you share the method and recipe of those coconut bars you made? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X