• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, 7/6 is perfect.
    We have Moved! Join us at www.primalforums.com

Comment

• Hey, count me in!

Only 5 hours? That's not bad. I'm about 30 minutes or so from there, just up Rte. 1 and down the peninsula.
      My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• OK. So Whole 30 starts tomorrow! I am actually excited.

In other news, today is my eldest son's 22nd birthday. I took him to brunch. He is an aspiring writer. I love when I get him alone because he tells me about his current stories.

Last night I once again had a lovely view of the city fireworks from my balcony. I was joined by my best girlfriend and some neighbors from a lower floor.

I took all three boys to Howe Caverns on Sunday. That was a childhood dream come true. I tried to con my parents into going many times. In 1842 a dairy farmer discovered a cave entrance thanks to his cows. He built a hotel on the site and gave tours for 30 years. It is the second most visited natural wonder in NYS.

Pride and Prejudice dress rehearsal went great on Monday night. Tonight we have a straight run through and then a day off before opening on Friday.

Comment

• Okay Pebbles, here we go!
          Female 55
          Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
          Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Good luck with your Whole30 ladies! Remember K.I.S.S.!

If you need some (more) inspiration: whole30.com/2017/06/july-4-2017/

Spicy Burgers with Caramelized Onions & Grilled Romaine

Ingredients
            1 lb ground beef (grass-fed recommended)
            1 large yellow onion
            1 head of romaine, cleaned and leaves removed
            2 tbs beef tallow, divided (or cooking fat of choice)
            1 tbs compliant salsa or pico de gallo
            1 tbs Whole30 Approved or compliant hot sauce
            1/2 tbsp garlic power
            ½ tsp salt
            ½ tsp pepper
            1/8 tsp smoked paprika (optional)

For Serving

Whole30 Approved mayo
            Avocado, sliced

Instructions
            WARM 1 tbs tallow in a frying pan over medium-low heat. While tallow is heating up, remove papery peel on onion & chop thinly-sliced rounds (a mandolin works well for this). Then, slice the rounds in half.

ADD onions to the heated pan & slowly caramelize (about 25-30 mins). Keep an eye on onions to be sure they don’t burn, & periodically stir them. While onions are cooking, prepare a sauté/grill pan for the burgers by adding 1 tbs Beef Tallow & preheat over medium-low heat.

MIX together grass fed beef, hot sauce, salsa & spices in a large bowl. Form beef mixture into equal size patties.

COOK burgers in preheated pan (5 minutes each side, or until done to your taste). Remove & let rest 4-5 minutes. Remove onions from heat & set aside while burgers rest.

RETURN the burger pan to the stove and use the leftover tallow to grill up your romaine leaves over medium-high heat until wilted (about 1-2 mins on each side).

SERVE burgers on top of grilled romaine leaves topped with caramelized onions & a dollop of mayo & sliced avocado.

Chili Lime Shrimp Skewers

Ingredients
            25 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
            1/2 cup garlic-infused olive oil (regular olive oil will do, just add 2 more large cloves of crushed garlic)
            1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
            2 tbsp. chili powder
            2 garlic cloves, crushed
            1 tbsp. ginger, chopped
            1/2 tsp. red chili flakes
            5 wooden skewers, soaked
            Limes for serving

Instructions
            MIX your olive oil, lime juice, chili powder, garlic cloves, ginger, and red chili flakes in a lidded container large enough to fit your shrimp. Add in shrimp, cover container, and shake it so that the shrimp get coated in the marinade

Refrigerate for a minimum or two hours. Meanwhile, prepare your grill (I used a stovetop grill) by oiling your grill gate and setting it to medium heat.

WHEN ready, thread five shrimp to each skewer. Once your grill is hot, add the skewers and cook for 1 minute and then flip and cook for an additional minute or until shrimp is cooked through

Southwest Sausage and Pineapple Skewers

Ingredients
            1 large sweet onion, peeled, halved, then cut into large chunks
            4-5 cups of grilling vegetables cut into large chunks (mushrooms, bell peppers, zucchini, summer squash, eggplant, etc.)
            1 whole pineapple
            1 1/2 pounds compliant pre-cooked sausage
            3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
            3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
            3/4 teaspoon chili powder
            3/4 teaspoon sea salt
            1 lime
            3 Tablespoons of avocado oil

Instructions
            COMBINE the onion and grilling vegetables in a large bowl. Slice the ends and peel off the pineapple. Quarter it, cut the core pieces out, and chop the pineapple into 1-inch pieces. Add the pineapple chunks to the bowl of vegetables. Cut the sausage into 1-inch pieces.

MIX together the seasoning, juice from the lime, and the oil in a small bowl. Pour it over the vegetables and toss to coat.

PREHEAT your grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Thread the sausage, vegetables, and pineapple onto metal skewers.

GRILL for about 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway through, until grill marks form and vegetables are cooked through and have charred spots. Serve immediately.

Chili Lime Chicken Wings

Ingredients
            2 lbs chicken wings
            1 tsp black pepper
            1 tsp sea salt
            1 tsp chili powder
            1 tsp ground cumin
            ½ tsp cayenne pepper
            2 handfuls fresh cilantro
            Juice of 1 lime (2 Tbsp)
            2 Tbsp olive oil
            3 tsp minced garlic

Instructions
            PAT the chicken dry. Poke each chicken wing with a fork.

MAKE the spice mix and rub it in to each drumstick. Take all the remaining ingredients (lime juice, cilantro, olive oil, garlic) and create a smooth paste by pureeing in a blender.

POUR the marinade all over the chicken In a large resealable bag or container. Marinate in the fridge for at least 4 hours to overnight.

Preheat the oven to broil on high. Place the chicken on a cookie sheet with a wire rack on top. Broil on high for 5-7 minutes per side (take them out to turn them over with a fork), until the skin begins to crisp up a bit.

TAKE the tray out and put aluminum foil over the whole tray (seal the sides on the baking dish) and bake for another 25 minutes at 325 degrees. Serve and devour!

Tomato, Prosciutto and Pesto Salad

Ingredients
            2l bs heirloom tomatoes (sub any tomato you like)
            4 oz Whole30 compliant Prosciutto di Parma (most prosciutto is compliant; the ingredient list should say simply, “pork and salt.”)
            2-3 tbsp hemp hearts – for garnish
            salt and pepper

Instructions
            SLICE tomatoes in 1/2″ slices and layer in a serving dish. Slather tomatoes with the pesto. Top with Prosciutto di Parma, sliced avocado and hemp hearts. Serve the salad immediately!

Salade Marocaine

Ingredients
            1/2 cucumber
            1/2 green pepper
            2 tomatoes
            1/4 cup red onion
            1 tbsp Argan oil (be sure the oil is food-grade. Can sub olive or walnut oil.)
            1 tbsp olive oil
            1/8 tsp each of: cumin, salt, & pepper
            Black olives – optional

Instructions
            DICE all the vegetables and combine in a bowl. Add the oil(s) and seasonings. Toss & garnish with a few black olives and/or a slice of lemon.

Zucchini “Pasta” Salad

Ingredients
            1 lb chicken thighs or breast cubed
            2 sprigs Rosemary chopped
            1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
            1/4 tsp sea salt
            2 large zucchini spiralized with the large blade
            1/4 red onion sliced thinly
            1 cup Persian cucumbers chopped
            1 cup asparagus chopped
            1 cup jicama chopped
            1 cup sliced black olives
            2 tablespoons olive oil
            1 tablespoon balsamic for dressing

Instructions
            ADD 1 tablespoon olive oil to a pan on medium heat. Cube the chicken, and combine the chicken with rosemary, garlic powder and sea salt. Once the pan is hot, add in the chicken and let cook for 5 minutes to get nice and crispy.

WHILE the chicken cooks is the perfect time to chop and spiralize all of your veggies! Add them to a big salad bowl.

ONCE the 5 minutes is up stir chicken and allow to cook on all sides for another 10 minutes. Once finished allow for the chicken to cool completely before adding to the salad or it will cook the veggies!

ADD the chicken to the veggies, then add the remaining olive oil and balsamic. Stir to combine, serve or store for later!
            "Don't sweat the small stuff and relax about the whole process"

Comment

• Wow, Thanks Lovebird!

Pedidoc, we can do it!

Comment

• Whole 30 Day 1

*Here is the disclaimer...I have never completed a Whole 30. This is my 4th or 5th attempt. I think my attitude is different this time. Doing it in the summer is also new.

*This morning I weighed and measured. I won't do it again until August 5th.

Weight 253.2
                hips 51
                waist 38
                bust 44
                thigh 29
                calf 20
                bicep 16
                B F % 48.1
                BMI 36.2
                FBS 95

*Physical changes I hope to see during the whole 30.

Less joint pain. Especially the knees
                Bursitis in right heel will disappear
                Fasting blood sugar will decrease. Measure weekly.
                Energy will increase
                Improved sleep
                Less back and neck pain
                Less visible inflammation in ankles
                More emotional stability, stable moods
                Hormonal, pms improvements. Less pain and irritability
                Decreased cravings for food without brakes

Yesterday, I received my copy of Food Freedom Forever. Now I own all of the Whole 30 books except the cookbook.

Currently drinking my coffee with almond milk. Conclusion: I need better tasting coffee. Ick! I usually have it with stevia and premier protein as creamer.

I believe that I will successfully complete the Whole 30.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                  Yesterday, I received my copy of Food Freedom Forever. Now I own all of the Whole 30 books except the cookbook.

Currently drinking my coffee with almond milk. Conclusion: I need better tasting coffee. Ick! I usually have it with stevia and premier protein as creamer.

I believe that I will successfully complete the Whole 30.
                  One day at a time...

Did you make the almond milk yourself? I only ask since my sis uses the store bought stuff and it's only 2% almonds, better to drink water and eat some almonds, unless you've found a good one. And yes to good coffee... always... I despise almond milk btw, so it's mostly black anyways.

I only c/p-ed from the whole30 blog, plenty of recipes available there (and elsewhere), from their books as well.
                  "Don't sweat the small stuff and relax about the whole process"

Comment

• Go well on your whole 30!!
                    My first journal - http://forum.marksdailyapple.com/for...mal-highlights

Comment

• And off we go. Yes, success will be yours!
                      My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Originally posted by The Walrus View Post
                        And off we go. Yes, success will be yours!
                        I'm glad you are in too.

Comment

• Thanks Annieh!

Lovebird, the almond milk is leftover. Trying to use it up. I usually use coconut milk in coffee during w30.

Last edited by Pebbles67; 07-06-2017, 06:47 AM.

Comment

• You can do this Pebbles.
                            Female 55
                            Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                            Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• I did fine today. This morning I made ghee. In a little while I have a snack planned. My sons are with me. My eldest wants to watch a horror movie. I will watch it because I love him. Lol I may not sleep tonight.

Comment

• Today was very busy. I had my sons half the day then went to an appointment and finally took a nap in preparation for P&P opening tonight .Whole 30 day 2 went fine except I forgot what happens when you don't use coconut milk for a long time and then you start using it again. Yeah that. Hope I don't miss any cues while in the bathroom.

Comment

Working...
                                X