Ad Widget

Collapse

Michael's Primal Journal (Hang on...This is a BIG ONE!)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GrokinOut View Post
    Thanks! I just wish I could fast forward now to end the of the journey....
    Have you ever seen the movie "Click" with Adam Sandler? He wants to fast forward through stuff in his life. If you haven't seen it, it's definitely a useful analogy. I think about that alot. If I just fast forwarded to where I want to be, I'd miss out on all of the OTHER stuff along the way on the journey. I wouldn't want to fast forward 2months or 6months or a year and not have experienced everything else on those days and weeks. Helps me a lot being in the military, both when I was deployed, and while my boyfriend is currently deployed. While it would be nice to just jump to the finish line, the journey is still worth participating in!

Just my two cents.

Your co-workers sound like mine. Well, mine are all men, so they usually have energy drinks, chewing tobacco, soda, donuts and potato chips for snacks around the office. Those aren't made for weight loss and your fellow competitors will realize that!
    “It's a lifestyle--train like there's no finish line".

Army Officer by day.
    Practicing Crossfitter, Yogi, Chef and Hiker by night.

Comment

I know...Still catch myself thinking it from time to time...

Back to reality. Just finished dinner...Scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage. I'd say that one thing I struggle with a lot is my love of sausage...I know it's not strictly primal but I allow myself to partake because it's meat and it's no carb. Ah well...Maybe someday when I really need to lose that last 5 pounds I'll find the willpower to cut it out entirely...

It looks like my busy lifestyle is going to get in the way of a formal workout but I'm still planning on getting some pushups in along with some curls and squats. I don't have a pull up bar or anything (I don't trust the doorway kind due to my weight and haven't taken the time to build an industrial strength one.) so my back may end up a little neglected...Might hit it with some rows with the curl bar or dumbbells.

On another positive note, my wife asked me today if I though she might be experiencing symptoms of eating too many carbs after her 6" sub, chips, and soda at lunch (after three days nearly primal without realizing it)...She said she felt tired, lethargic, her stomach hurt, and she had trouble focusing because she just wanted to sleep...I laughed. Ha! Then proceeded to tell her that definitely she was experiencing the carb crash...This one may have been pronounced enough that she'll want to eat cleaner all the time...Here's hoping!
      Goal: 230 @ 10% BF (preferably less)

Follow my progress here:
      My Blog | My MDA Journal

Comment

And another one bites the dust...another IF that is. This was my longest one to date 23 hours! Physically felt good throughout but was bored at work today and so that made it pretty difficult. I distracted myself with some espresso from the Starbucks at Barnes & Noble for my hour and went straight back to my desk without passing "Go," the cafeteria, or the vending machines...Broke my fast with some beef/veggie soup. I'm probably going to snag some bacon or eggs or sausage or something after I get back from our church small group meeting...

My workout didn't get done last night due to preexisting commitments and a little bit of laziness...I'm planning on doing some body weight stuff tonight once I get home. Already looking forward to my first contest related weigh-in! Looking forward to some good progress!

Keep on Grok 'n out, good people!

Follow my progress here:
        My Blog | My MDA Journal

Comment

how'd your bodyweight exercises go? i feel bad for your coworkers and their sad notions of diet food. but also excited for your wife! i'm glad to hear she is interested enough in what you're doing to ask questions about how her diet choices are playing a part. here's to hoping that the two of you end up as a Primal Team! also, good going making it through the boredom at work and not eating. that's always hard for me - long stretches of time, and no snacks? you're really kickin those fasting hours. two thumbs up
          -joan's primal journal and blog-

Comment

Michael. Hadn't heard from you during the day, and was worried. A lot of people are watching and hoping the best for you. I just got mark's cookbook from Amazon. Still circling though, and a very tough day at work. Australian Shiraz does wonders to mellow me out. I know it is not good for me, but it is what it is. For now, I'll watch you soar!!!

Dan

Comment

@joan-Sadly, bodyweight exercises didn't happen again. I'd promised myself that beginning last Monday I'd start P90x (just the strength portions) up again because it gives me three solid, quick (less than an hour) strength workouts per week and that I'd work on getting some walking around the neighborhood done in the evenings. My plan is to start that back up this coming Monday and be more intentional in my planning. Regarding coworkers, it's crazy! My supervisor is eating a spinach salad every day with tons of provel cheese and fat free Italian dressing...Boring! I saw another guy on my team munching on a box of Cheez-its with his sandwich...Ugh. It's amazing how far my thinking has shifted in the past few months. I can't imagine going back to "diet food" and plodding through bland meals every day in an effort to lose weight.

Hopefully my wife will eventually join me in the primal lifestyle. I cracked up a little bit as I read the email notification that you posted because she was trying to sneak some of the Christmas cookies our neighbor brought over last night. All I can do is to continue reaping the benefits of health, energy, and feeling great and eventually she'll get sick of the carb flu/crashes and lack of energy and join me. It's different for her because she's not really struggled with weight. She could stand to lose a few pounds but no one would look at her and really even be able to tell...She still looks at PB as a diet rather than a healthy lifestyle. Once she gets that perception straightened out I think she'll join me...

@Dan-Thanks for the encouragement and holding me accountable! It was a crazy day for me at work too so I didn't get the opportunity to post throughout the day. I've got Mark's cookbook too and the free ebook but haven't really made use of them...I've been sticking with what I know how to cook already and stuff that's easy to throw together. My staples are eggs, bacon and sausage for quick snacks (quantity depends on hunger). For dinners with the family we've started doing a lot of roasts because they're so easy to do. Seriously sometimes all we do is put a frozen pork roast in the crockpot with some onions, water, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce and let it cook for 8-10 hours. Once we take the roast out we'll save the "juice" and use it as the base for a beef roast...they both taste amazing! Other than that I'll make meatballs in two pound batches, hamburgers, etc. I focus on making stuff that's pretty straightforward that yields leftovers for snacks or lunches...Regarding the Shiraz, I'm hoping you'll be able to break your dependency on that crutch. I know it's crazy hard though...I've had the same relationship with food for years. The only way I was able to break it was with the PB and fighting my mindset regarding it until it changed. My mantra for the past few months has been, "You've indulged in that plenty of times in the past and will be able too again in the future but for now you have to wait." Every time I feel stressed or down about life and want to grab a comfort snack that's what I tell myself. I think about all the times I've had it in the past and how I'll be able to "treat" myself with it in the future if I abstain now. It hasn't worked every single time but I'm working to improve over time...it's a matter of averages. If I'm able to do better 7 or 8 times out of 10 that's better than I've been in the past and I can keep working to improve without beating myself up over mistakes. It also helps to find ways of distracting yourself during those times (read: Go to Barnes and Noble and waste time until you don't have time to eat the crap from the cafeteria). Getting away from the patterns that lead me to mess up in the first place is still something I'm working on conquering.

Anyways, I'm going to try to go back to sleep for a little bit...Working on a little bout of insomnia here and I'm not enjoying it. I've been wide awake for the past couple hours and have to start getting ready for work in a little over an hour...Gonna make for a long day!

Follow my progress here:
              My Blog | My MDA Journal

Comment

That's great that your wife may be getting on track! Interesting that she felt the toxic effects of adding carbs back in and noticed it!

If she doesn't need to lose weight, it's probably harder to convince her to switch over because she can't SEE the benefit she'll be getting on the inside. But hopefully, slowly but surely, she'll realize it's so much healtheir and will be easier if you're both on the same eating plan!

As much as I am sure you (and all of us) want you to win your BL challenge, it would be nice if your co-workers could learn to eat healthier than FF dressing and Cheez-its!

Hope all is well with you!

Army Officer by day.

Comment

Yeah! I was shocked when she told me what she thought the problem was. Hopefully, she'll get on board and realize that it's not just about getting skinny, it's about feeling better all the time.

I'm spreading the word to those that are interested...I'm sure as I drop the pounds there will be more coming to me with questions and I'll have the chance to tell them about the PB.

I'm disappointed today. I weighed as soon as I got into work and had gained two or three pounds. I'm chalking it up to the fact that although I fasted yesterday I ate a good deal late at night shortly before going to bed. I was going to fast again today but just wasn't up to it. I ran to the hot bar at Whole Foods and got some curried chicken (ate two bites and threw it away b/c it felt too chewy to be completely cooked) and some sausage with peppers and my usual amazing salad. I haven't been working out or paying attention to portions and have allowed myself to "go a little crazy" with portion sizes so I'm going to cut back to what I was eating before the holidays and get the scale rolling down again...Hopefully I see some big changes Monday when I weigh in again...

I'm playing racquetball tonight so other than doing a few pushups and curls that'll be the extent of my "work out" for the day.

Keeping the faith

Follow my progress here:
                  My Blog | My MDA Journal

Comment

hang in there michael you're on the right track. you have all the knowledge, willpower, and support you need to follow through. raquetball sounds like fun, as well as your 'usual amazing salad' - i wish i could see pictures of all the big ass salads people eat around these forums. i bet it'd be impressive.
                    -joan's primal journal and blog-

Comment

Also remember that weight loss isn't a linear process ... weather, hormones, water status, "gut-fill" all affect the scale. When I bounce up 2-3 pounds I remind myself that I didn't eat 9,000 extra calories so it can't be fat
                      Just keep doing what you know to do, drink your water, and it'll happen

Comment

Joan, I may just take a pic of one of my salads the next time I get it...just for you!

Racquetball was an absolute blast as usual. We played three hard fought games in about an hour and ten to fifteen minutes...We were both panting and sweating like crazy when we got done...I can finally feel myself getting a little quicker and a little more agile. I can make it to a lot of shots that I used to miss due to my sloth-like speed. I'm nowhere near where I was in high school but I'm getting there...very slowly. I'm incredibly sore this morning. At my size it's a full body workout pretty much. I don't have Vibrams because they don't make them in my size (size 15) but I do have a couple pairs of Merrell's "barefoot" shoes. Their basically a Vibram sole with mesh upper...I love them but playing racquetball really gives my feet and legs a workout (they were very sore last night and slightly sore this morning) like they're not used to with the minimalist shoes on. Even more so than I got while preparing for my 5K in November...

MikkiB, I know this intellectually but it's difficult to fight those initial feelings of frustration and despair when the scale plays the evil tricks on you. I did some brainstorming with my mom (she's a huge support and has lost close to 150 pounds doing a diet similar to mine without being strictly "primal" over the past year) and we both had some of her veggie soup Wednesday night. She had a couple pound gain Thursday morning that she attributes to the sodium content of the soup causing fluid retention. That make sense to me and I think that the high sodium soup combined with the sausage I ate and my dismal water drinking efforts caused me to hold fluid. So that's pretty easily and logically explained and overcome.

Last night I didn't eat until after playing racquetball and then ate some chicken...Pretty straightforward...

I'm fasting through breakfast today and may or may not fast through lunch depending on whether or not I'll be eating by myself. Hamburgers and salad/steamed veggies are on the menu for dinner tonight...

Keep on keeping on!

Follow my progress here:
                        My Blog | My MDA Journal

Comment

I like my Merrills! But I got them a half size too small, so I need to get some new ones. Or they shrunk when I washed them, whoops!
                          I also have some of the New Balance Minimalist shoes, and let me tell you, they are AWESOME!

I can't believe they don't make Vibrams Fivefingers in a size 15! That's crazy to me. I only use my Vibrams for hiking though. Wore them to Crossfit one day (and one day only) and we did a handful of running and such and I was in a TON of pain later. But they are awesome for hiking!

I have never really played raquetball but always wanted to! Seems like tennis but more fast-paced!

And about the weight gain. Our bodies fluctuate often, so no worries to it! As long as you are staying on path, those are just incidental! Keep up the awesome work!

Army Officer by day.

Comment

Yup, unfortunately Vibrams only go up to UK 47-49ish range I'd have to have at least a 50. I've looked into the New Balance shoes and they stop at 14. Extremely disappointing.

I took my time getting into the minimalist shoes...I'd just wear them walking around the mall or out for the evening for weeks. Eventually I started doing my Couch to 5K workouts in them and haven't looked back. I felt an immediate difference in the way my legs and back felt wearing them...Researching minimalist footwear for running is what direct me here to an article Mark wrote about going barefoot. I trolled around looking at the rest of the site and the rest is history!

Racquetball is intense, mentally and physically challenging and an absolute blast! If you ever get a chance get someone to teach you how to play...It's a lot of fun.

Since I'm on I'll check in regarding lunch..Chevy's Santa Fe chopped salad. Ingredients were romaine, tomato (forgot to get it without), some cheese, avocado, bacon, chicken and salsa. Delicious! I know it's not perfectly primal but still pretty low carb and better than everything else there unless I got fajitas and ate the measly amount of meat in 'em. So the salad it was!

Follow my progress here:
                            My Blog | My MDA Journal

Comment

That's so crazy/interesting that brands don't make minimal shoes up to your size! Glad you found some that work though!

I'm in the Army, so we can't use the Vibrams for PT, so I love the New Balance for that.

I did the Couch to 5K back before I joined the Army and it really helped, but I know I hated it at the time! How's it going for you, or did you already finish?

Army Officer by day.

Comment

Update on the evening:

Hamburger meat smelled like it went bad so the fam settled for some scrambled eggs for dinner. We had a small group from our church come over and made pizza rolls and cookies for them to snack on throughout the evening...I was able to resist the cookies but did have a couple (2-3) pizza rolls.

Cassanina-When I was in high school I used to run for 30 minutes (ended up being a little over three miles each time) three or four times a week in addition to my weight training and baseball practices. I truly enjoyed running back then so this fall (Octoberish) I decided I wanted to give it another shot as a way to boost my cardio, get some exercise and just enjoy being outside in nature. I picked trails to run that went through nature rather than doing a treadmill or track and that's the only thing that kept me going...I love being outside and loved running on trails through the woods enjoying the peace and beauty that I found...It's a blast! I started Couch to 5K in order to prepare for a "Turkey Trot" with buddy from work. I finished and was able to complete an extremely hilly 5K. My buddy ran it in 24 minutes and complained about how difficult the course was...I ran/walk/jogged it in 51. At that point I was still in the 450-460 range so I was just happy that I could run/jog through any of it!

Plan for the day:
                                Getting a haircut.
                                Going to my parents to chop and stack wood for a couple hours and shoot my bow for a while.
                                May try to talk my dad into a game of racquetball.
                                Dinner with some friends this evening...

I love my weekends!

Follow my progress here:
                                My Blog | My MDA Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X