• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have it and love the nomnompaleo app

Em
    "Adapt and Overcome"

Comment

• At least she has her own home. My mil is a mooch and depends on her children and sister to take her in. They have all taken her in at some point except my husband. She got divorced over ten years ago and still acts though it was yesterday "Saying she just doesn't know how to get on her feet!" Oh please cut the crap... Your just lazy. Anyway her son just told her he couldn't afford her anymore so now she's living with a friend. My pride wouldn't let me live like that! Geeze

Anyway, how did the chicken processing go? I do it myself when I can. It's so easy to open a jar and make a quick meal when you.

Em
      "Adapt and Overcome"

Comment

• Em...I would think you have enough on your plate taking care of your brother & a baby...you certainly wouldn't need to have your mil there too! Good for your hubby to say no. My mil is a whiny, bitchy, complainer of a woman. Nothing is ever good enough...everyone is out to get her. She has a mental illness, been saying that for years, but to her children that's "just the way she's always been", they don't know any different. She's always depressed...always has back pain...has incontinence...yada yada yada...but refuses to take medications. Because of the side effects. And boy can she tell you what they are for a given med! lol. While I'm not a big proponent of prescription drugs they do have a place occasionally. She sits over there & reads health books all day. Did I mention she lives next door??? lol. Makes me nucking futs sometimes. Ok most of the time! My hubby's brother & family live on the other side of her. If it wasn't for my sil I'd probably have hurt someone long before now. lol. We are able to vent to each other & that helps greatly.

Thanks for chiming in about the nomnom paleo app. Haven't downloaded it yet. Will do it later.

Have a most awesome day!
        Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• Oh & about the canning...it went great! Got about 21 jars each. I'm happy! I love to can...it is such a great feeling to see all my pretty jars on the shelf! I also like the feeling that if hubby were to lose his job for whatever reason we could still eat. Didn't can a whole lot this year...the garden didn't do as good as last year. But I did get about 24 or 25 jars of stewed tomatoes on the shelf so at least that was something. Oh & some picante sauce. I have canned hamburger patties, beef stew, stew meat, potatoes, green beans, ass'd jams, dill relish, pickles of course. I'm just a modern day pioneer woman...trying to get by on as little $$ as possible! lol. We live on a very limited budget, so I try to be as frugal as possible. And yes it's terrific when you have to put together a quick meal!! My brother & his wife also canned some chicken. At that price it was so worth it. They didn't do a garden this year so they haven't canned much. Mom doesn't want to learn so she buys everything...I can it & we split it. Works for me!!!! 😀

Ok...gots to go get something done!

Comment

• How do you can hamburger patties???
            Primal since March 5, 2012
            SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Originally posted by theprimalcajun View Post
              Oh & about the canning...it went great! Got about 21 jars each. I'm happy! I love to can...it is such a great feeling to see all my pretty jars on the shelf! I also like the feeling that if hubby were to lose his job for whatever reason we could still eat. Didn't can a whole lot this year...the garden didn't do as good as last year. But I did get about 24 or 25 jars of stewed tomatoes on the shelf so at least that was something. Oh & some picante sauce. I have canned hamburger patties, beef stew, stew meat, potatoes, green beans, ass'd jams, dill relish, pickles of course. I'm just a modern day pioneer woman...trying to get by on as little $$ as possible! lol. We live on a very limited budget, so I try to be as frugal as possible. And yes it's terrific when you have to put together a quick meal!! My brother & his wife also canned some chicken. At that price it was so worth it. They didn't do a garden this year so they haven't canned much. Mom doesn't want to learn so she buys everything...I can it & we split it. Works for me!!!! 😀

Ok...gots to go get something done!
              Good deal. We can our harvest around here also. We have fifty acres so if I didn't garden a bit it would be such a waste! Lol. This year I think we are mostly feeding the deer which is ok cause come hunting seasoning I'll be getting it back with interest! Hahaha

I know all about living on a budget. I like hunting up deals and specials. When the paper comes and I see Brookshire Grocery is having there "buy one get one for a penny sale" it's like Christmas. I get some one to watch my son cause I load that cart UP!

Em
              "Adapt and Overcome"

Comment

• Wow! That's a great sale! Holy crap! I'd be mowing people over for deals like that! lol

Comment

• Well...I use my meat loaf "recipe" & make nice thick patties...I bake them for maybe 10 minutes...stack 'em up in the jars, pour some home made beef broth over them & pressure can them for 90 mins. It's been over a year since I've done them...so I will have to find my instructions if anybody wants more detailed info. They are pretty easy to do.

Well my thyroid meds came today so will start them tomorrow. Also my adrenal supplement. I'm anxious to see how I will do. Will try & journal my progress as I go along.

Well back to work...gotta get some stuff ready for sil to take with her Saturday to the local market days. She makes soap...I've started covering notebooks. Sooooo cute if I do say so myself! I call it my therapy! lol

Comment

• Em...I used to love the buy one get one free sales the stores used to have. We only have two stores here in our little town & they don't ever do that. We used to have a Kroger & I loved it! Wow 50 acres! Yeah you could have a hell of a garden! lol. We have 2 acres...but it's in the middle of about 50 acres that hubby's brother owns & then mil has 13 acres. So don't have to worry about close neighbors at least. Cept the family. We do lots of target practice...not much hunting goes on...this is old farmland that hubby's grandfather farmed many years ago. Not much cover for the critters. Boy there's nothing like good deer sausage! My brother hunts...he has a lease & he makes sausage every year. Yummmmm

Comment

• I've never made sausage. I really need to figure out more to do more with the game. For the past 5 or 6 years it's been all hog. DH now is starting to see my side to it when I showed him how much eat we eat and how much it cost. Even my Dad (who hated when I used to deer hunt) is going to get a license this year. He said its to help put meat in The freezer, but also to get the garden thieves (a.k.a. Deer).

Em
                      "Adapt and Overcome"

Comment

• Well with the price of groceries these days you gotta "supplement" when & where you can. We do have wild hogs out here & occasionally bil & nephew will trap one. It's been a while tho. They have cows, so hogs aren't big on the hunting list. Hubby is more of a bird hunter than a deer hunter. With the garden & my chickens it helps some. I'd like to get a couple of cows but he thinks they are more trouble than they are worth. He grew up out here so he's been around "the farm". lol. It took me forever to convince him to let me have some chickens!! He doesn't like chickens...he was responsible for about 200 when he was little & then had to help butcher when it was time. So I understand. My chickens aren't for eating...just for laying yummy eggs. They are spoiled & they are good for a laugh or two. They think I'm their mama I guess cause when I go outside they come a running & flying just a squawking. They don't do that with him. I talk to them all the time & give them treats & when he's out in the shop they like to go see what he's doing. He tells them "get out" & they do. He just laughs at them & says he's never seen chickens act like they do. lol We've always had animals that don't think they are animals, so why should they be any different! Ok we'll enough of my farm sagas! lol. I need to go work on my online store. Anybody have an etsy or a storenvy store? I am so not tech savy!!

Comment

• I wish I could have chickens... It sounds like, despite MIL being so close, that you have a pretty good set up.

Comment

• Well it's day 4 of taking natural thyroid & also a natural adrenal support. I have lost 1.4 lbs. I'll take it. I do feel better...don't seem to be having that afternoon crash & that's a good feeling even if nothing else happens. Morning brain fog doesn't seem to be as bad either. Been sticking pretty close to primal with a few minor slip ups...but they don't seem to have hurt anything. Gonna have to lay off the salads for awhile I think as my gut is still pretty irritated. I read that it takes a while for it to heal after eliminating gluten. I also discovered that my vegi's need to be cooked a little more than steamed. Too much roughage I think. Especially if eaten at the same meal. So it's all a learning process...this quest for optimal health. 😃

Comment

• Morning Jenn! Yeah I'm pretty happy out here, with the exception of her. I would like to even be more self sufficient but that takes more money than what we have! Damn the luck! lol. We do ok for now. Never know what the future holds!

Have a great day!!

Comment

• Originally posted by theprimalcajun View Post
                                have to lay off the salads for awhile I think as my gut is still pretty irritated. I read that it takes a while for it to heal after eliminating gluten. I also discovered that my vegi's need to be cooked a little more than steamed. Too much roughage I think. Especially if eaten at the same meal. So it's all a learning process...this quest for optimal health. 😃
                                I've been wondering about that. My tummy has been very tender and its not from the exercises. I was wondering if I was going to see any effects like this from my major change in diet. Good to hear I'm not the only one. Going from mainly grain to veggies is definitely effected my gut.

Em
                                "Adapt and Overcome"

Comment

Working...
                                X