Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Perils of Periwinkle Pitstop

I wish I could be funny and interesting like some of the journals I read on here, but mostly I just want a place to keep track of what I am eating and how I am moving.

I am a 42 year old female, single mom of two and a graduate student working on becoming a Women's Health Nurse Practitioner. I am 4 feet and 9 inches tall and weigh roughly 185 pounds today. At some point in the next few weeks, I will include body fat, measurements, etc...

This is what I ate today:

4 mugs of coffee with organic half n half.
    1 bottle of water.

homemade breakfast sausage: (85/15 ground pork, sage, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning.)
    2 eggs, fried in sausage grease.
    1/4 of an avocado

2 handfuls of almonds

Salad: baby spinach, romaine, 2 boiled eggs, 2 radishes, chicken breast cubed and fried in coconut oil, home made dressing: olive oil, ACV, poppy seeds, celery seeds, salt, pepper, 3/4 of an avocado, blended.

Before bed, I will eat a square of 86% dark chocolate and a cup of whole organic milk.

In prep for tomorrow, I am making a sausage and egg and spinach frittata.

The kids and I wandered at a slow place for a bit over a mile today at a nature preserve. We stopped a lot because they were collecting snail shells. I'll be signing up for the YMCA after the 6 year old starts school back up next week. A mile in 1.5 hours is not going to get it done. LOL.

At this point in time, I am not willing to let go of the coffee or the dairy.

Peri

Edited because I misspelled Avocado... /facepalm...
    It's just another day in paradise
    As you stumble to your bed
    You'd give anything to silence
    Those voices ringing in your head
    You thought you could find happiness
    Just over that green hill
    You thought you would be satisfied
    But you never will-
    Learn to be still
    -The Eagles

Welcome Periwinkle. (btw, your journal title alone is funny and interesting)

Comment

Thanks Pamela

Before I log my food, I wanted to muse about my maternal grandmother a bit. My grandma is a zealot when it comes to conventional wisdom regarding food and health. She is downright devoted. She ate "Oleo" margarine for years and still wont eat real butter. If CNN or any cable news channel tells her it is healthy, she does it. She is convinced I will die of a heart attack before I turn 50 if I continue to eat so much meat. I would like to argue with her, but the woman is 91 years old, and I think she has a minor heart arrhythmia, and pretty bad arthritis. She takes a beta blocker for her heart. and that is it...well that and about 18 different supplements that CNN told her to take...I mean...the woman is 91...if conventional wisdom and processed food havent killed her yet...ain't nothin gonna...though I imagine that a good portion of her body forming years was prior to processed food, and that is probably why she is as healthy as she is...

My mom, however is the epitome of the SAD diet, diabetic, heart disease, cholesterol meds, etc...however, she believes in conventional wisdom and also thinks primal is misguided.

So I had New Years Eve dinner at their house. It was not as bad as it could have been. So here is what I ate yesterday:

At home:
      3 or 4 cups of coffee with half n half
      the home made sausage/egg/spinach frittata
      1 square of 86% chocolate

At Mom's:
      about 1.5 cups of fresh black eyed peas cooked in chicken broth, and onions and garlic. Ok...I love black eyed peas and when I can find them fresh and local, I do cook them at home from time to time.

1 cup fresh collared greens cooked in chicken broth and garlic. Mom wanted to add some sort of heart healthy light butter, but I talked her out of it. They were awesome.

about 4 ounces of commercial ham. It tasted like smoke flavor and salt. :/

So not too bad. My grandmother took maybe an ounce of the ham, b/c any meat that is not chicken or turkey breast will kill you.

The snack was awesome though. My mom has a neighbor with a pecan tree and some of the branches hang over mom's driveway and she picks them up...so about as organic as you can get, just pick them up and shell them. I ate way too many of those, however. 8 or 9 handfuls probably. I feel puffy from the salt in the ham.

Back on track today with the rest of the frittata and coffee and organic half n half.

Finishing up some medieval costumes for the kids and I.

Happy New Year!

ETA: I forgot...when I got home, I had 3 squares of dark chocolate and 1.5 cups of whole milk.
      But you never will-
      Learn to be still
      -The Eagles

Comment

Today I ate:

the other part of that home made sausage and egg and spinach frittata. I had to heat it up in the skillet with coconut oil b/c the microwave door is being moody.

3 or 4 cups of coffee with half n half (Mexican Chocolate coffee from a local roaster.)

Dinner was awesome. I took green cabbage and about 8 baby carrots. slathered them with coconut oil in a casserole dish. I wrapped little cubes of chicken breast in bacon (Applegate farms, organic nitrate nitrite free) and nestled them in the cabbage and let it bake for about 45 min. YUMMM! Added some sea salt.

I had 2 squares of chocolate earlier and will probably have another one later. Total milk for today will probably be about 2.5 cups.

I sent pics of my dinner to my boyfriend and made him cry with food lust.
        Last edited by Periwinkle; 01-01-2015, 04:50 PM. Reason: spelling
        But you never will-
        Learn to be still
        -The Eagles

Comment