No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about fat

Hello!

I've been hearing different things about this from everyone...gotta clear this up once and for all:

Is 60-70% of my diet being fat optimal if my goal is fat loss?

The remaining: 20-30% protein and 10% carbs (leafy greens, nuts, milk)

Question: Is 50% fat in favor of more leafy greens and other veggies and more meat better?

Again, goal is fat loss. I know fat is the most satiating but it seems like eating butter by the spoonful and guzzling cream is understood by many to not be very conducive to fat loss because they are very caloricly dense?

Would heaps of more veggies (especially leafy greens) result in greater fat loss because of the filling fiber and overall low caloric content (opposite of dense lard and cheese)?

All the veggies are organic and local, all the meat is grass-fed/pastured, as is the dairy. Its all in line with the PB. It just seems like there is differing opinions regarding amount of fat. I've read everything on the forum about fat and all the articles and posts about fat (other websites as well)...

Hopefully someone can clear this up:

Butter by the spoonful good or bad for fat loss? Does 60-70% of diet being fat result in more fat loss than 50% of diet being fat? Instead of 70% fat, would 50% be better? Increase in leafy greens and decrease in fat?

I already eat a good amount of leafy greens and protein (used to eat 4X as much leafy greens as i eat now--with primal having me eating lots of fat now) but want the OPTIMAL amount for maximum fat loss. How much of my diet should be fat? 70% fat? 50% fat? 80% fat?

Thank you all in advance for your help! I really appreciate it!

I think a high-fat diet like you're suggesting can work for fat loss, but I don't think it's the only option or necessarily the best.

If you want to eat fat, coconut is probably the least fattening fat.
    My opinions and some justification

Comment

Pick one and try it. See how you look feel and perform. Adjust one up or down and see how that works for you. Compare results.
      If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Originally posted by Elliot View Post
        I think a high-fat diet like you're suggesting can work for fat loss, but I don't think it's the only option or necessarily the best.

If you want to eat fat, coconut is probably the least fattening fat.
        What would you recommend?

Comment

Ok Elliot could you please elaborate?
          I thought there was a positively superior way to lose fat and that its all about a very high fat diet?
          Misabi, I feel and perform great on 10-20% fat (mostly leafy greens and protein) and also on 80-90% fat....
          I'm trying to find the OPTIMAL choice for fat loss. I follow the PB but there seems to be slight discrepancy between many over the issue of the amount of fat in a diet.
          One has to be better than the other. There has to be one choice that works better than the other.
          One way, either, 10%, 50%, or 90% (or something in between) must be the ideal.
          Yes, I understand that more active people need more carbs and some people cannot thrive on high fat due to stomach upset or other issues but this is assuming a standard, average--for control purposes.
          I want to find out if, overall (all things being equal) a very high fat diet (75%?) is more successful in reducing fat than 25% or some other number.
          I realize it is not an exact science and there are other factors that may differ the number but I know that there is an approximate estimation of this ideal figure and I am trying to find that out. 75%? 50%? 25%?
          Thank you all very much once again for all of your great assistance! I really appreciate your help!

Comment

Diets that exclude either fat or carbohydrates tend to work better than those in the middle. Personally, I would do very low fat with much fruit. But I think Misabi's comment is very appropriate. Different things work for different people and you should give something a good try first.

Sometimes people find that low-carb works well for them initially, but as they lose weight, they need to add more carbs or they stall.

Comment

IMO percentage is not that useful. Instead think of each nutrient as a diminishing benefit curve in the broadest sense--energy, micronutrients, pleasure.
              Too little fat = bland/unsustainable meals, severe hunger between meals, too-rapid starch digestion
              Too much fat = no appetite, weight gain

"Eating butter by the spoonful and guzzling cream" is malnourished behavior, most folks should be satisfied by normal amounts.
              37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Diets that exclude either fat or carbohydrates tend to work better than those in the middle. Personally, I would do very low fat with much fruit. But I think Misabi's comment is very appropriate. Different things work for different people and you should give something a good try first.

Sometimes people find that low-carb works well for them initially, but as they lose weight, they need to add more carbs or they stall.
                So, your opinion is that low fat/high carb can work just as well if not better for fat loss in the long term?

Comment

Originally posted by cpaqf1 View Post
                  So, your opinion is that low fat/high carb can work just as well if not better for fat loss in the long term?
                  Yes, though you have to do it correctly. The conventional low fat diet with grains is probably not a good idea.

Comment

I think a high-fat diet like you're suggesting can work for fat loss

Comment

Yes, though you have to do it correctly. The conventional low fat diet with grains is probably not a good idea.
                      Ok and fruit would be less "fattening" than say starchy vegetables ?

BTW, your site is awesome. Would you mind if I started a thread in the near future for some extra information regarding some of things you wrote on it? I've basically hijacked this thread. Sorry OP!

Comment

Ok and fruit would be less "fattening" than say starchy vegetables ?
                        I believe so, under the right conditions.
                        Originally posted by cpaqf1
                        BTW, your site is awesome. Would you mind if I started a thread in the near future for some extra information regarding some of things you wrote on it? I've basically hijacked this thread. Sorry OP!
                        Yes. You can also send me private messages.

Comment

I believe so, under the right conditions.

Yes. You can also send me private messages.
                          Awesome thanks! I can't see anything I can click to send you a private message though.

Comment

Awesome thanks! I can't see anything I can click to send you a private message though.
                            I just tried to send you a private message and it was not allowed. Perhaps it's because you're a junior member. They might be wary of spam bots opening new accounts and immediately spamming everyone with private messages.

Comment

I just tried to send you a private message and it was not allowed. Perhaps it's because you're a junior member. They might be wary of spam bots opening new accounts and immediately spamming everyone with private messages.
                              Sorry, could you try again? I had "receive messages from other members" unchecked.

Comment

Working...
                              X