Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teen Paleo Help!!!

Hey everyone, I would like some help with my diet!

Quick background: I'm a 17 year old male, lean at 145 lbs, weight lift every other day, and I'm super into nutrition and fitness!

I have some questions about optimizing my diet:

1. Teens and occasional intermittent fasting?
    2. Should I restrict protein once a week at my age?
    3. What minimum amount of carbs should I make sure that I get per day if I work very hard at school and every other day a 45 min intense workout? I feel good slightly under 200g, but is this enough to support my body and brain at this age?
    4. How important is rotating foods?
    5. Is 40-55g of fiber every day too much? (these factor into my carbs)
    6. Is up to 130g of fat every day okay?

I'm very in tune with my body: I'm carb sensitive, digestive sensitive, and so on. Eating very low carb all day and having a large carb dinner seems to be working for me, but is restricting carbs during the whole day and having a fairly low carb total (200 or less total: up to 50g of fiber and under 70g sugars) perfectly safe for a teenager?

If it helps, let me know if I should post my daily diet

Thanks everyone

1. Probably unnecessary
    2. No!
    3. As many as you want
    4. Eh
    5. No
    6. Sure
    My opinions and some justification

Comment

How tall are you?

I agree with Elliot. FWIW I have a 6 ft 17 yr old son that weighs around 150, he lifts 5 days a week, I tell him to eat, eat eat!
      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Lift heavy weights properly. Eat as much as you can fit in. Then eat more. Never say 'no' to a girl.

Comment

Too much thinking - just eat food.

Comment

Originally posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
            Too much thinking - just eat food.
            What he said. hahaha
            "It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop." -Confucius
            "A year from now you will wish you had started today." - Karen Lamb

http://aquaponicsgrowingtips.com/

Comment

16 going on 17 here. Did paleo/primal for over a year, loved the way it made me feel, but took a toll on me mentally. I'd say don't be too strict with this, but it's worth it if you can stay on it. Don't intermittent fast. food rotation isn't necessary, everything else is fine. Just eat real food and move a lot. You'll be better off than everyone else

Comment

Lift heavy weights properly. Eat as much as you can fit in

Comment

Originally posted by James Ming View Post
                  16 going on 17 here. Did paleo/primal for over a year, loved the way it made me feel, but took a toll on me mentally. I'd say don't be too strict with this, but it's worth it if you can stay on it. Don't intermittent fast. food rotation isn't necessary, everything else is fine. Just eat real food and move a lot. You'll be better off than everyone else
                  Yep and as a teen have the occasional pizza or burger - no need to do your head in over a way of eating.

Comment

Eatmovesleep snd ellioy have it right.

Don't over think just eat well.

Charles poliquin once said "green faces" - if its green. eat. If it has a face or could. Eat.
                    Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted. Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world.

Comment

You are young and you are, and will be, in a growth mode for several years to come. Don't sweat your food consumption, just channel it in the right direction to help you grow to maturity as the man you want to be.

Plenty of good exercise. Plenty of good food. Eat according to the primal guidelines for what to eat, but don't be obsessive about it. Eat as much as your body wants, as often as it wants. Don't worry about rotating foods, I would do no fasting of any sort.
                      Finally have given up on MDA Forum.
                      My friends, I'll see ya at primalforums.com where I'm user #4, and we do have a moderator.

Comment

Are you supplementing 50grams of fibre? Or just eating a lot of fibre rich foods? I would figure out the digestive issues so you don't need to supplement that much fibre.

Fibre as part of food - makes a lot of sense.

Tons of fibre as a supplement, can be problematic.

Comment

Looks like this question was featured in the "Dear Mark" post today....

Dear Mark: A New Whole Grain Study, Advice for a Teen, Broken Leg Sprints, and The 3 Mules | Mark's Daily Apple

and looks like some pretty good answers there.
                          Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

Comment

Working...
                          X