Ad Widget

Collapse

White House Petition for full fat milk in schools

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • White House Petition for full fat milk in schools

    Hello! I was looking at my public school options, and I noted that only low fat and nonfat milk were being offered, and that this was because of guidelines set by the White House. So, I wrote a petition on the White House site to reverse it.

    I plan to publish it this evening -- I'll need 100,000 signatures in 30 days -- but I thought I would get some input from MDA readers before doing so. Here's the text as stands -- note that I'm limited to 800 characters.

    We petition you to revise school lunch standards to allow American children to be served full fat milk in school, and further to rebalance the fat/protein/carbohydrate guidelines to permit a healthy diet.

    Schools nationwide follow these standards and serve only skim or low fat milk to children. Since these drinks are not palatable, they are often sweetened with artificial sweeteners or high fructose corn syrup.

    The 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee no longer lists cholesterol as a nutrient of concern, and only lists saturated fat as a nutrient of concern for Americans 50 and over. We ask these standards be aligned.

    Fat is necessary to build brains and bodies. No evidence links cholesterol or fat consumption in children to disease, and our children's optimal health requires fat.

  • #2
    Cool! I'm in.

    Comment


    • #3
      Me to!


      Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

      Comment


      • #4
        On board here!
        Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

        Comment


        • #5
          Count me in as well!
          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

          Comment


          • #6
            It could havre 100 million signatures and change nothing. Politicians rarely care what the collective or even the majority want. This would involve the First Lady admitting she is wrong, among other things that won't happen in Washington. These businesses with huge government contracts that are putting out their highly profitable sugared-down milk are not going to take a profit loss, nor will the government put out the extra expense involved even IF it miraculously agreed that those involved in the policy were wrong. Keep in mind, the overwhelming majority of Americans are still on board with the current dietary guidelines. A very small percentage has always known or recently realized the war against saturated fat is misguided. Media outlets would have a field day with whole milk headlines, parents would panic. Not going to change that abruptly. It's going to be a generational thing, if it happens at all.
            | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

            “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by j3nn View Post
              It could havre 100 million signatures and change nothing. Politicians rarely care what the collective or even the majority want. This would involve the First Lady admitting she is wrong, among other things that won't happen in Washington. These businesses with huge government contracts that are putting out their highly profitable sugared-down milk are not going to take a profit loss, nor will the government put out the extra expense involved even IF it miraculously agreed that those involved in the policy were wrong. Keep in mind, the overwhelming majority of Americans are still on board with the current dietary guidelines. A very small percentage has always known or recently realized the war against saturated fat is misguided. Media outlets would have a field day with whole milk headlines, parents would panic. Not going to change that abruptly. It's going to be a generational thing, if it happens at all.
              Spot on. The only ways a kid will ever drink full-fat milk for lunch is if they're homeschooled or the parents send some with them.
              In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

              This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

              Comment


              • #8
                j3nn, Well, you know, as Samuel Adams said, "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."

                Originally posted by j3nn View Post
                It could havre 100 million signatures and change nothing. Politicians rarely care what the collective or even the majority want. This would involve the First Lady admitting she is wrong, among other things that won't happen in Washington. These businesses with huge government contracts that are putting out their highly profitable sugared-down milk are not going to take a profit loss, nor will the government put out the extra expense involved even IF it miraculously agreed that those involved in the policy were wrong. Keep in mind, the overwhelming majority of Americans are still on board with the current dietary guidelines. A very small percentage has always known or recently realized the war against saturated fat is misguided. Media outlets would have a field day with whole milk headlines, parents would panic. Not going to change that abruptly. It's going to be a generational thing, if it happens at all.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Cool. That's four. 999,996 to go. I'm really looking for improvements more than signatories at this point, although the signatory point is nigh upon us.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Can you cite any support from the American Academy of Pediatrics? (I think they are still on the low-fat bandwagon)
                    As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm in also!👍🐮


                      Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ionFreeman View Post
                        Hello! I was looking at my public school options, and I noted that only low fat and nonfat milk were being offered, and that this was because of guidelines set by the White House. So, I wrote a petition on the White House site to reverse it.

                        I plan to publish it this evening -- I'll need 100,000 signatures in 30 days -- but I thought I would get some input from MDA readers before doing so. Here's the text as stands -- note that I'm limited to 800 characters.
                        The ultimate anti-fat fallback when everything else is disproven is that it is high-calorie.
                        We're all too fat so low-fat will help us slim down.
                        You may want to address that.
                        Probably add a sentence to the second paragraph something like "any coloric advantage to low-fat products is negated by added sweetener or consuming higher quantity."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I can't cite much -- 800 characters means no footnotes. I was just reading "The Big Fat Surprise," which charts the history of the AAP slowly being forced to conform to the low fat gospel. But, even so, this is what they say now:
                          Childhood is the best time to start heart-healthy eating habits. But eating healthy for most children doesn't mean following adult goals for cutting back on total fat, saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol, particularly for children younger than 2 years. Fat is an essential nutrient that supplies the energy, or calories, children need for growth and active play and should not be severely restricted

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thanks, bcbcbc2. I don't want to seem resistant to suggestions, but I am already pretty uncomfortable with complaining about sweeteners without going into why -- I probably shouldn't do it twice. I'm pretty frustrated by the 800 character limit -- it's less that six tweets.

                            But, OK, energy balance. I like where you're going with that, but I can't make the point. I don't know how much reduced fat milk you'd have to drink to equal the calories of full fat milk, but I don't think people drink it. If you're making the point that children will consume the same amount of calories irrespective of what kind of foods they eat, (a) I don't believe it, and (b) you are directly attacking the idea of setting menus for kids to reduce their energy consumption, which I assert should be attacked indirectly if at all.

                            Thank you for contributing, and you've got me feeling that I'm not going to change anything, so I might as well go ahead and post it.

                            Originally posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
                            The ultimate anti-fat fallback when everything else is disproven is that it is high-calorie.
                            We're all too fat so low-fat will help us slim down.
                            You may want to address that.
                            Probably add a sentence to the second paragraph something like "any coloric advantage to low-fat products is negated by added sweetener or consuming higher quantity."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              OK, jennifla. I changed it to reference the AAP.
                              We petition you to revise school lunch standards to allow American children to be served full fat milk in school, and further to rebalance the fat/protein/carbohydrate guidelines to permit a healthy diet.
                              Schools nationwide follow these standards and serve only skim or low fat milk to children. Since these drinks are not palatable, they are often sweetened with artificial sweeteners or high fructose corn syrup.
                              The 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee no longer lists cholesterol as a nutrient of concern, and only lists saturated fat as a nutrient of concern for Americans 50 and over. We ask these standards be aligned.
                              Fat is necessary to build brains and bodies. Per the AAP, Fat is an essential nutrient children need and should not be severely restricted. Milk fat benefits children.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X