Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleo for 3 years and gaining weight

I have been Paleo/ Primal for over three years. When I first started, I lost 20 lbs in 6 months (to the point of being a little too thin). Over time I have put weight back on (some being muscle) but lately I am having a hard time losing weight. I have done Whole30s/21 day plans and my results are less and less each time. I turned 40 in January and refuse to believe this is just a symptom of age. I base things more on how my clothes fit and measurements vs the scale but I am seeing the pants fit a little tighter and the number on the tape measure increase. I want to lean out and I am frustrated that I can't make that happen.

Here's the details: I'm 5'3 and probably weigh 125-128 lbs (had gotten to 113 at my lowest in Sept 2012). No health issues.

I eat very clean and work out 4-6 days a week (power yoga 1-2 and HIIT with plenty of weights 3-4).

A typical day's eating looks like this:

Breakfast: coffee blended with kerry gold butter & coconut oil pre-workout followed by some eggs with veggies and another coffee with almond milk

Lunch: big salad with turkey or chicken (plenty of veg, usually some sunflower seeds and olive oil salad dressing)

Dinner: protein and 2 veg. Sometimes sweet potatoes but limit to 1-2 times a week.

Snacks: if hungry between meals, I'll have a handful of cashews with a tangerine or some carrots with tahini dip. Also have 1-2 oz dark chocolate everyday.

I limit my dairy as I discovered it makes me bloated. I will have it on occasion.

I'll have a glass of wine if we are out for a nice dinner but rarely drink at home.

Thanks for your help!

Cut the butter coffee right out, along with the chocolate.

Comment

Food actually sounds a bit like mine, quantity would make a difference. If I feel I am gaining I reduce quantity.

If a change have you had your thyroid properly checked?
      Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
      Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
      Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

The fatty coffee and handfuls of nuts are a lot of calories. Perhaps try substituting with lower calorie options. Your carbs also seem low for your activity level.

Your weight also seems pretty reasonable for your height..

Comment

Honestly I'm not willing to cut any more foods from my diet. When I started and initially lost all the weight I was eating tons of nuts, dairy, paleo granola and other treats. I have already removed all that. I can't imagine an ounce of chocolate, an ounce of cashews (that's a small pack from Trader Joe's) or tablespoon of fat in my coffee is going to make that much of a difference. I was wondering if I should eat MORE fat?

Comment

I think you might want to peek in the "I turned 40" window a little bit. Recognizing the changes that come in peri menopause is more than half the battle for beating them. Hitting 40 is nearing a pretty big hormonal milestone that I wouldn't consider trying to ignore. (Nearing 60, myself). I'm not saying to give in and accept the weight you're unhappy with, but you have to be much more careful with your food choices. Keep working with the weights, muscle is now your best friend.

Comment

Any idea what your calories come to? That might be worth tracking short term just to get a sense, if you haven't already done so.

How do you feel in general? Sleeping okay? Overly fatigued? Any digestive issues or pesky ailments you've been ignoring?
              Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by rsimon99 View Post
                Honestly I'm not willing to cut any more foods from my diet. When I started and initially lost all the weight I was eating tons of nuts, dairy, paleo granola and other treats. I have already removed all that. I can't imagine an ounce of chocolate, an ounce of cashews (that's a small pack from Trader Joe's) or tablespoon of fat in my coffee is going to make that much of a difference. I was wondering if I should eat MORE fat?
                Eating more fat is rarely, if ever, the solution to losing weight. Unless one's calories are so low they've disrupted their metabolism/hormonal balance.

Comment

I think you can leave the chocolate but ditch the buttered coffee for two weeks and see if you notice a change.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Feeling good. Sleeping fine. No GI issues. Rarely sick.

That's all good...just don't like the creeping scale.

Just did a rough calorie count and I'm eating around 1200 cal/day which seems very low.

Comment

Other than the workouts, are you actively moving around during the day? Maybe you could drop one of the weights sessions and add a long walk or something? Or take a week off then do a completely different routine or sport or activity. Just anything to change what your body expects from you. I suspect we can become too efficient at movement and it becomes less effective at fat burning.

Good luck, I feel your frustration, I have similar experience (though 10 years older than you). The results were easy to get at the start, but harder to maintain.
                      My first journal - http://forum.marksdailyapple.com/for...mal-highlights

Comment

Regardless of diet type, fat loss boils down to creating a calorie deficit. There's no way around this fact.

Since you have no health issues, and there's nothing special about being 40, then that leaves us with 1 possible culprit...You're eating too much and/or not exercising long enough or intensely enough.

Based on age/weight/height, your bmr is ~1300. Considering your activity level, it seems highly unlikely that you could eat less than that and somehow still gain weight. It's just not possible. If you double check your intake over a 1 wk period, you'll find a few hundred calories unaccounted for.

Anytime my fat loss slows/stalls, I find each time that it's because I'm eating at a maintenance level and I have to adjust food or exercise or both to get the measuring tape moving again.

And no, eating more fat will not help. It'll just make you even fatter.
                        *Starting Wt - 151 lbs (January 2015) * Current Wt - 113 lbs (November 2016)
                        *95% Plant-Based (from June 2015) ~ *75%Carbs *10-15%Protein *10-15%Fat
                        *Exercise ~7-10 hrs/week

Comment

Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                          Other than the workouts, are you actively moving around during the day? Maybe you could drop one of the weights sessions and add a long walk or something? Or take a week off then do a completely different routine or sport or activity. Just anything to change what your body expects from you. I suspect we can become too efficient at movement and it becomes less effective at fat burning.

Good luck, I feel your frustration, I have similar experience (though 10 years older than you). The results were easy to get at the start, but harder to maintain.
                          I am pretty active I work part time (desk job) but have 2 kids and am on my feet from the moment I get home until they go to bed. The HIIT workout is pretty new for me (since January).

Comment

I appreciate all the comments but I am very frustrated by the idea of having to count calories. Part of what drew me to paleo was this huge sense of liberation from years of counting points and calories and that healthy fats should be embraced. The idea of having to counting cals and watching fat intake is not depressing considering I eat a very clean, paleo diet (Im not eating insane amounts of fat either). There has to be a better way that stressing over every ounce of food I ingest.

Last edited by rsimon99; 04-14-2015, 02:49 PM.

Comment

If your intake is 1200 calories per day, you are active, and you are not losing weight, then your metabolism has really plummeted. From what you've described, it looks like you're eating ketogenically, or close to it. You also seem to be getting a decent amount of polyunsaturated fat. I wonder if either of those are responsible for the gradual decline in metabolic rate.
                              My opinions and some justification

Comment

Working...
                              X