Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannabis: A sensible vice?

Mark has often talked about "sensible vices" like wine or dark chocolate, that in moderation won't do much harm.

I'm not a fan of either of those, but I have found that cannabis works well for me. It's zero calories when inhaled, and safe for your lungs when vaporized rather than smoked.

Between not eating junk food and living a physically active lifestyle, I'm not exactly your stoner stereotype. I'm more of a Carl Sagan type (who also enjoyed cannabis).

Living in Colorado, I have the benefit of high quality and variety of cannabis available, but that is spreading quickly.

I'm curious whether any other primal folks are into cannabis, which Grok may well have enjoyed (historical records show people enjoying it 5,000 years ago).

As long as it's passed to the left, you're good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

It's arguably safer than alcohol. Have fun. Don't get caught. It might be a decade or two before the stupid federal laws change.
      In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

Isn't there a strong connection between smoking cannabis and testicular cancer? It and certain psychological disorders (schizophrenia, bipolar, other)?

Comment

Galactic Dev, you're in CO? So recreational is legal, yes? Sure, why not. You're not breaking the law, and if it doesn't make you do the walk of shame to the nearest convenience store for Hostess Snowballs and bags of cookies, why not? Most folks don't smoke 20 joints a day, so it's not like the cigarette habit.

Personally, after doing some reading, I'm not all that big on wine. Meh. It doesn't suck, but to get the benefits, you'd have to drink gallons, which would do more harm than good.
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Primal or not; just the look at physiognomy of a typical skinny fat cannabis smoker has been enough for me to never even try it…
            "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
              Primal or not; just the look at physiognomy of a typical skinny fat cannabis smoker has been enough for me to never even try it…
              Well, yeah, but it is low carb....oh, wait. No cholesterol, so that sucks.

Comment

Being in an area known for it's cannabis culture, I know a lot of people who smoke. With that being said, I know some smokers who are fit (and exercise regularly), but just as many (or more) that are skinny fat.

To OP: go for it. You don't need to really smoke it either; you could vaporize it, or make butter that you could make edibles with.

Comment

There's actually research that associates cannabis with lower waist circumference, lower insulin resistance, and lower fasting blood glucose numbers. Cannabis users apparently tend to consume more calories than abstainers, but remain leaner. Rodent models suggest that cannabis helps protect the pancreas. I gave up pot years ago, but after being diagnosed T2D and finding this research, I've been using a little bit of tincture now and then. It's definitely not the worst medicine I have to deal with.

Marijuana Decreases Insulin Resistance, Improves Blood Sugar Control

Cannabis exposure associated with weight reduction and β-cell protection in an obese rat model.

Comment

It and certain psychological disorders

Comment

Marijuana was just legalized here, too. I want to look for a low THC variety for the cannabinol. I'm not particularly interested in getting stoned, but the medical benefits of cannabis are real, and there is a strong "gut" connection with cannabinoids.

For instance: Involvement of cannabinoid receptors in gut motility and visceral perception.
                      Find me on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by tatertot View Post
                        Marijuana was just legalized here, too. I want to look for a low THC variety for the cannabinol. I'm not particularly interested in getting stoned, but the medical benefits of cannabis are real, and there is a strong "gut" connection with cannabinoids.

For instance: Involvement of cannabinoid receptors in gut motility and visceral perception.
                        So you are looking for CBD heavy strains; ACDC is a good one that has a 30:1 CBD/THC content.

Comment

While I personally have never tried it and never will, I really think Cannabis is perfectly okay for recreational use. It's safer than alcohol or tobacco... and seems to have some amazing medicinal purposes for those who have chronic pain or appetite issues. I am pro-weed legalization just so it's more regulated. Right now, the PCP and etc. that's added to it at times are sometimes taken in by surprise at parties. That's pretty unsafe for kids who just thought they were agreeing to a puff of weed... especially for females in certain social contexts. Many of my friends accidentally drugged themselves in this fashion.

HOWEVER, I have also seen some who end up using weed as a crutch for dealing with their stress or anxiety. In that specific case, I'm 100% against it just like I'm 100% against any other "unnecessary" crutches in life.
                          JOURNAL..
                          @BabesWithBBQ.
                          Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                          Professional Style Website.
                          #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Originally posted by TQP View Post
                            While I personally have never tried it and never will, I really think Cannabis is perfectly okay for recreational use. It's safer than alcohol or tobacco... and seems to have some amazing medicinal purposes for those who have chronic pain or appetite issues. I am pro-weed legalization just so it's more regulated. Right now, the PCP and etc. that's added to it at times are sometimes taken in by surprise at parties. That's pretty unsafe for kids who just thought they were agreeing to a puff of weed... especially for females in certain social contexts. Many of my friends accidentally drugged themselves in this fashion.

HOWEVER, I have also seen some who end up using weed as a crutch for dealing with their stress or anxiety. In that specific case, I'm 100% against it just like I'm 100% against any other "unnecessary" crutches in life.
                            There is medicinal value to it, even in the psychological field. Anxiety disorders as well as depression have been shown to be treated well with high CBD strains.

Comment

Originally posted by _bear View Post
                              There is medicinal value to it, even in the psychological field. Anxiety disorders as well as depression have been shown to be treated well with high CBD strains.
                              Hmmm. Well, there's also studies showing that *long term* usage of cannbis might lead to more anxiety/etc. I have personally seen what 20 years of regular weed use does to a person's psychological state... not very pretty. The guy had a high-functioning tweaker/sociopath sort of personality and his temper problems was always exacerbated when he ran out of weed.

This is why I have zero problems with people using it recreationally/medicinally even if I abstain from all drugs/alcohol/etc., but I'm against using weed as a cure-all or for self-medication.
                              JOURNAL..
                              @BabesWithBBQ.
                              Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                              Professional Style Website.
                              #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Working...
                              X