Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with TQP. Where I live there are a lot of long term cannabis users, I have nothing against it, in fact as drugs go I think it's pretty benign but so many like to believe it is a cure all. Like it has magical properties, when most use it because they enjoy getting high. That's cool, nothing wrong with that, every now and then. But most people I know use it daily and it also happens to be their livelihood.

I also know several long term users that use if for self medication for mental health issues. I don't know that it is the best approach for dealing with those issues.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

What an enlightened group! Glad to hear that there's almost no "Reefer Madness" going on here.

Comment

The main problem (besides the law) with m.j. is that users who smoke weed usually also smoke tobacco and drink. All the ones I know also pack extra weight on. Maybe the cannabis isn't to blame, but most also lack any sort of ambition. And that has always been a hallmark of heavy reefer use. OTOH, I would definitely pursue the LEGAL use to bake cookies for cancer pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Paysan View Post
          The main problem (besides the law) with m.j. is that users who smoke weed usually also smoke tobacco and drink. All the ones I know also pack extra weight on. Maybe the cannabis isn't to blame, but most also lack any sort of ambition. And that has always been a hallmark of heavy reefer use. OTOH, I would definitely pursue the LEGAL use to bake cookies for cancer pain.
          All the cannabis smokers I know rarely drink and none of them smoke tobacco.
          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Eh. It's not that successful people don't smoke weed; it's that they often need to hide it for professional reasons. Hence there's an image of "the lazy weed smoker."

I know of a sizeable number of doctors, lawyers (superlitigators to county attorneys etc.), engineers, businessmen, etc. who smoke weed. Some claim it helps them with the stress that comes with the job; others claim it helps them calm the anxiety before a big trial. *Shrug* Not my body, not my concern, not my place to make value judgments and doubt their self agency.

Are weed smokers more likely to be lazy than if the same persons were non-weed smokers, or is it merely that the lazier population tend to gravitate towards the appeal of zoning out and relaxing? Which way does the causation arrow go?
            Last edited by TQP; 04-28-2015, 03:09 AM.
            JOURNAL..
            @BabesWithBBQ.
            Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
            Professional Style Website.
            #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Weed is just one option in the myriad of options. Weed doesn't turn people into losers. Losers who were gonna be losers anyway, just happen to smoke weed.

I know several people who are violently anti-weed because they have watched one of their loved ones ruin their life with weed among other things.

A loser is a loser. Weed just got to that person first. Cause it could have been cheeseburgers or scratch tickets or gambling that ruined your loser cousin's life. But weed got their first. A mere coincidence.

Sources: Very frequent cannabis consumer. Personal experience.

Comment

Originally posted by purplegorilla View Post
                Weed doesn't turn people into losers. Losers who were gonna be losers anyway, just happen to smoke weed.
                Well said, Senator! Seeing some stoner cautionary tales kept me away from pot in my teenage years, so I was a late bloomer coming to it in my 20s and 30s, and realizing that since I'm not a loser, it won't stop me from living a rich full life.

Comment

Originally posted by Galactic Dev View Post
                  Well said, Senator! Seeing some stoner cautionary tales kept me away from pot in my teenage years, so I was a late bloomer coming to it in my 20s and 30s, and realizing that since I'm not a loser, it won't stop me from living a rich full life.
                  It was a good thing you were a late bloomer to pot because pot affects the teenage brain differently than an adult brain, better to wait until after 22 or so.

Comment

Considering the link between alcoholism and clinical depression, I wonder if it would be far-fetched to consider the possibility that chronic cannabis users who are also "losers" aren't perhaps self-medicating the same way that some alcoholics do.

IOW, which comes first? The depression or the chronic usage?

As to teenage usage, I blame the govt for its rampant use by them. The penalties, until recently, have been in line with much more dangerous drugs. Had it been treated like alcohol, I believe that fewer teenagers would have had access. Drug dealers rarely care about the age of their customers. Liquor store owners have much to lose by selling to minors. It wouldn't have been a perfect solution of course, but it might have stemmed some of the underage use.
                    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                      Considering the link between alcoholism and clinical depression, I wonder if it would be far-fetched to consider the possibility that chronic cannabis users who are also "losers" aren't perhaps self-medicating the same way that some alcoholics do.

IOW, which comes first? The depression or the chronic usage?

As to teenage usage, I blame the govt for its rampant use by them. The penalties, until recently, have been in line with much more dangerous drugs. Had it been treated like alcohol, I believe that fewer teenagers would have had access. Drug dealers rarely care about the age of their customers. Liquor store owners have much to lose by selling to minors. It wouldn't have been a perfect solution of course, but it might have stemmed some of the underage use.

Your 100% correct. A couple years ago, I was a highschooler.

And I can tell you from personal experience, it was incredibly difficult for me and my friends to find alcohol to drink. (Other than from your parents booze closet of course).

We could never find anyone over 21 who would be willing to buy us alcohol. Cause it's just too much liability on their part. What if one of us stupid kids died drinking the alcohol they bought?

However, at almost any time of the day or night, I could call or text one of the several people that sold weed, and I could have any amount pretty much delivered to me within 30 min to an hour, or we could arrange a quick meet-up spot that is close by. Just like a pizza.

This is my personal experience in the Dallas/Fort Worth area in Texas. I can not speak on the availability of weed/alcohol in other parts.

DISCLAIMER: I should make it clear that I don't recommend underage consumption of either cannabis or alcohol.
                      Last edited by purplegorilla; 04-29-2015, 07:11 AM.

Comment

I'm just a few hours south of you, in a German heavy area. It was very easy to get alcohol as minor. Most people had an older friend or brother or sister that was fine with buying it for them. Heck, some of my friends had parents that provided it. There were some kids that sold weed at my school, so it wasn't hard to get, but there was more stigma against it for some reason and the penalties for getting caught were higher, so it wasn't nearly as popular.
                        In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

Cannabis: A sensible vice?

I've had access to the "harder" drugs since I was a kid (elementary school)...yay for living in New Mexico in a border town and in a sketchy neighborhood! Just gotta keep on a super straight-edged demeanor so no one bothers to ask me if I want any, and pretend I don't see anything going on.

Alcohol and weed, along with a whole host of other things, were available starting middle school but definitely widespread by HS in the suburbs around Austin, TX. In college the engineering companies would provide kegs & BBQ for tailgating parties for engineers without ever checking ID's, so I guess no one cared by then that there were 19/20 year olds drinking. :P Perks of being on the UT campus (so much free BBQ and beer at engineering events). Even the dean's welcoming speech was to party responsibly.

I think there is some rule in Texas that you lose your scholarships if you tested positive for weed... Right? I never bothered to look into it because I never really tried to smoke weed.
                          JOURNAL..
                          @BabesWithBBQ.
                          Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                          Professional Style Website.
                          #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Hmmmm...dunno bout Texas but you could get what you wanted in my state of PA growing up. I thought drugs and alcohol where readily accessible most everywhere for kids? I didn't partake as a kid, but had my fair share of experimentation in college. The dean would occasionally walk the quad as we stumbled about. All in all its just another life experience as long as it does not define you. Actually I could count the abstainers I knew on one hand. Most who graduated from my school went on to law school or med school....including the "pot heads". I was concerned about lung capacity for wrestling so I didn't partake on the regular and especially not in season.

Comment

Working...
                            X