No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting enough protein

Hi people

I have a hard time getting enough protein and would like to hear your views on my situation. I am a male, I weigh about 73 kilograms, am pretty slim and a little more muscular than the average healthy guy. I do Marks workout twice a week with a 10 kg vest and sprint once a week - I workout pretty intensely but only maybe 20-30 mins at a time. I have read different things, but it seems like I should at least eat one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight if I want to bulk up a bit. So that around 150 grams. Somewhere I heard that you cant make use of more than 30 grams of protein per meal, so that means, that I should eat 5 times per day, which doesnt really suit me and my IF way if eating. What is your opinion on that?

And what avout canned tuna and mercury? It seems like an easy way of getting a load of protein at once.

By the way I am not looking to be huge - Mark Sissons physique is appealing, so I aim for something like that :-)

Thanks in advance!

All the best, Esben

Sent from my iPod touch using Marks Daily Apple Forum

First, don't worry about tuna and mercury. Tuna has more than enough selenium to mitigate the effects of any mercury that might be encountered. Tuna is an excellent, low cost source of protein.

I don't know if the absorbancy limits of protein are accurate or not. It is a Dr. Oz promoted thing I believe. At least that's my original source to hear about it. I believe there are millions of testimonies that would say otherwise.
    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

Cool, thank you :-) I'll go eat some tuna theb :-D

Another thing: On days when I dont workout I am not very active. Could I eat less protein on days when I dont workout or should it be a steady level?

Comment

Originally posted by Esbenmad View Post
        Cool, thank you :-) I'll go eat some tuna theb :-D

Another thing: On days when I dont workout I am not very active. Could I eat less protein on days when I dont workout or should it be a steady level?

I don't workout heavily so I should defer to those who do, to address that question.
        Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
        Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

Mark Sisson carries quite a bit of muscle mass and a very low bodyfat percentage. Unless you won the genetic lottery, you probably have to put on quite a bit of muscle to look like that, and then lean out to a level that you won't look, feel, and perform as well at as you would with a tiny bit more fluff.

What I call the 3-5 rule (don't call it the 3/5 compromise, that means someting else and is not politically incorrect) is the way to maximize muscle protein synthesis from a dietary standpoint:

3-5 meals/day, with 3-5 g leucine (along with half that much of each valine and isoleucine), every 3-5 hours. The source of these amino acids, the BCAAs, that's most abundant and most perfectly balanced for MPS is whey protein, although things like eggs and beef are pretty good. nutritiondata.com gives you the breakdown of the various foods.

And lift heavier things. My squat warm-ups alone take 20-30 minutes.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I also have a hard time getting enough protein. Mostly because I also do IF 2 to 3 times a week as well. This is usually skipping breakfast and only have 2 more meals, sometimes with a small snack. I know it's sometimes frowned upon in the primal/paleo community but I use a high quality whey protein powder to mitigate this. I use Nature's Best Isopure zero carb. I add my choice of carbs to it (post-workout) in the form of berries with half a banana etc or may choose to leave it as is if I'm having it any other time. It has helped me tremendously regardless of it containing sucralose. It has a good BCAA profile and it's protein is highly bioavailable. It's also fairly inexpensive and gets great reviews. If you're not against it I would recommend a whey powder as an easy way to make sure you're getting enough protein.

Comment

Thank you for your answers! I have tried whey isolate, but my stomach cramped up, when I took it, so I gave it up.

Comment

And RichMahogany, maybe I am aiming a bit high. Less than a Mark Sisson look will do :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Esbenmad View Post
                  And RichMahogany, maybe I am aiming a bit high. Less than a Mark Sisson look will do :-)
                  Most of us have to settle for something less than Mark's ripped-itude, even those of us who are ~30 years his junior and competitive strength athletes. But you'll still benefit from some heavier strength training.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                    Most of us have to settle for something less than Mark's ripped-itude, even those of us who are ~30 years his junior and competitive strength athletes. But you'll still benefit from some heavier strength training.
                    Your statement is true. However, YOU are not one who has to settle. Nice try. 😜

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

If whey powder cramps your stomach, you might try other protein powder, like hemp or pea or pumpkin seed or rice protein. There's a lot of soy protein available too but we should probably avoid that.
                      5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X