• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resistant Starch help

I'm looking to experiment with RS. Couple questions:
    What type of RS to start with
    How much RS
    If I go the real food route how do I prepare it?
    If using PS flour how do I eat it? Protein shake? Bake with it?

Thank you

Originally posted by garod82 View Post
    I'm looking to experiment with RS. Couple questions:
    What type of RS to start with
    How much RS
    If I go the real food route how do I prepare it?
    If using PS flour how do I eat it? Protein shake? Bake with it?

Thank you
    I don't have any experience using PS flour but I do sometimes use cooked and reheated potatoes. I just fix potatoes the way I like them - baked, mashed etc. Refrigerate overnight and reheat to eat. If you've never done this before I will give you the word of caution that it may feel and sound like WWIII has broken out in your gut. Affected me terribly the first couple of times. Eat just a few small bites to begin with until you've gotten used to it. I'll defer to someone else who may have experience with PS flour.

Comment

So I do eat Sweet Potatos probably 3 days a week now. Does that mean I'm receiving all benefits for resistant starch? Is the key to cool them and heat them back before eating? What does that do?

Comment

From what I've read, the main potato source is white potatoes, not sweet. Green bananas, plantain and cooked and cooled rice also contain RS. There is an RS thread on this forum (check out Tatertot's posts) or visit Richard Nikolai (Free the Animal) if your ears can handle profanity. Very instructive.

Comment

Originally posted by garod82 View Post
          So I do eat Sweet Potatos probably 3 days a week now. Does that mean I'm receiving all benefits for resistant starch? Is the key to cool them and heat them back before eating? What does that do?
          Yes check out Tatertot's post regarding this as Paysan said. Also this:

The Definitive Guide to Resistant Starch | Mark's Daily Apple

There has been a lot of talk about RS lately. But no it doesn't work that way with sweet potatoes to my knowledge. Needs to to white potatoes or white rice. Cooking then cooling for at least 12 hours changes the cooked starch into resistant starch through some irreversible chemical process (most of it anyway). Green bananas don't need to be cooked for the RS benefit.

Comment

Working...
          X