Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Term Keto Diet

I've been trying to do keto the past 3 days (~20g carbs/day and about 110g protein) and have been having headaches and brain fog along with feeling extremely tired all day. Haven't had energy to workout and it's been an struggle to stay awake at work. Usually my carb intake is 50g and protein is in the 130s.

I'm not sure I want to stay keto much longer, so my question is - are there benefits to doing short term keto cycles of, say, 2 days a week? My main reason for doing it is to loose some fat. Or is it more effective when done longer?

I'm not obese at all so I know IF is better in this case but I wanted to try it as an experiment to lose fat but I'm just having a very hard time. I feel like I'm not myself and am restricting the amount I eat too much.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Originally posted by levkalmens View Post
    I've been trying to do keto the past 3 days (~20g carbs/day and about 110g protein) and have been having headaches and brain fog along with feeling extremely tired all day. Haven't had energy to workout and it's been an struggle to stay awake at work. Usually my carb intake is 50g and protein is in the 130s.

I'm not sure I want to stay keto much longer, so my question is - are there benefits to doing short term keto cycles of, say, 2 days a week? My main reason for doing it is to loose some fat. Or is it more effective when done longer?

I'm not obese at all so I know IF is better in this case but I wanted to try it as an experiment to lose fat but I'm just having a very hard time. I feel like I'm not myself and am restricting the amount I eat too much.

What is your total caloric intake? Are you only eating ~20g of carbs and 110g of protein? If so that is only 520 total calories. That would be dangerously too few calories. What is your fat intake?

Comment

Originally posted by pkjody View Post
      What is your total caloric intake? Are you only eating ~20g of carbs and 110g of protein? If so that is only 520 total calories. That would be dangerously too few calories. What is your fat intake?
      Today my fat intake was 175g, 29g of carbs and 125g protein.

Comment

Some folks don't handle keto very well. There is a cyclical diet or CKD. You should read up on it. People dip in and out of keto for days, weeks or even months at a time. Some have no issues with keto, some do. Some just need to eat a few more carbs. You need to make sure you've adapted completely to burn fat for energy. That happened a little to me in the beginning. Now I can go days at ~20g carbs a day but mostly I stick to around 100g a day. Look up CKD here at MDA and see if that helps. Your other macros look good at that level of carb intake.

Comment

You also need to make sure you get enough magnesium, sodium and potassium. You probably crave salt.

Comment

I see no value to short term ketosis. You cannot shift gene expression from carb to fat burning only two days a week.
            Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
            Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

Originally posted by John Caton View Post
              I see no value to short term ketosis. You cannot shift gene expression from carb to fat burning only two days a week.
              I've been eating primal for about a year now. i'd say I'm a fat burner.

Comment

Usually my carb intake is 50g and protein is in the 130s.

Today my fat intake was 175g, 29g of carbs and 125g protein.

Seems SUPER strange to me that a shift of only 20g carbs have created such a change in you. Just don't think that this is the issue. Probably have a viral infection or something else causing your symptoms.

Comment

Why not try a protein sparing modified fast type of diet for two days a week and eat more “normal” for the rest? Lean meat, chicken breast or lean fish and green vegetables and some berries. Breakdown; Proteins 130 – 180 gram, carbs 20 gram, fat 20 gram. If you eat red meat or meat with fat; boil it in water first and dry it in the micro oven after.

The ideal days may be Monday and Tuesday for this, after eating well for the weekends…
                  "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

most people are in keto under 50 gms carbs. even atkins isn't as low as you are trying to go.

drink some well-salted broth to clear the fog that is lc-flu. ketosis whacks out your electrolytes as it's a natural diuretic and be sure to consume more water than you think you need.
                    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                      Seems SUPER strange to me that a shift of only 20g carbs have created such a change in you. Just don't think that this is the issue. Probably have a viral infection or something else causing your symptoms.
                      I feel great when I've had more carbs (around 30-40g). I've noticed a pattern of feeling weak only when my carb intake is super low.

Comment

there is seriously is no need for you to be going that low. especially if it makes you feel like shit.
                        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Working...
                        X