Ad Widget

Collapse

Should I get most of my calories from protein?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get most of my calories from protein?

If large amounts of fat weren't present in meat back then (nor today either), should I get most of my calories from protein?

I eat a large amount of meat in all of my meals, yet as to feel full I need to add a lot of fats in form of olive oil or whipped cream (which contains a little sugar but it doesn't get my carbs over 100g a day anyway), the meat I eat is usually lean though, but still only slightly less fattier than the meat our ancestors ate anyway as far as I believe.

So what do I do? Do I just start eating even more meat as to cut on the fats or what? Was meat much fattier back then?

P.S: I'm feeling great gaining muscle and nothing hurts, but I'd like the evolutive explanation on how could people back then get so much fat if the meats weren't that fatty at all, or if I should get like 50% of my calories from protein otherwise.

Probably not, converting protein to fuel is not a common process. The world population averages 50~100g/day and most folks' appetite (and budget) seem to shut down after that. 50% for an active male would be 300~350g+

Animal fat is a legitimate energy option--in the wild it varied with season and latitude, plus more in the marrow and brain. A bit of oil and cream to achieve energy balance shouldn't cause symptoms either.
    37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Remember, they ate the whole animal, so it's likely you're not going to mimic that unless you get a large freezer, buy a whole animal, and eat just about everything except the fur. Blood, eyes, intestines, bone marrow (pretty much pure fat), etc.

Also, lean by weight doesn't translate into all that lean by calorie. IOW, using a modern product of ground beef that's only 5% fat by weight, you get the following:

According to Cronometer, 8 oz of 95/5 ground beef has 296 calories, 48.4 grams of protein, and 11.3 grams of fat (zero carbs).

11.3 grams of fat x 9 calories/gram = 101.7 calories (call it 102)

Calories from fat 102 divided by calories of the whole 296 ~ .34 or 34%

So, even though the meat is only 5% fat by weight, it translates into 34% of calories from fat.

ETA: Also, game changes its fat content over the year based on food availability, so what's lean during one season might very well be nice and plump in another.
      Last edited by JoanieL; 06-17-2015, 03:52 PM.
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Protein is incredibly important.

If we don’t get enough from the diet, our health and body composition suffers.

However, there are vastly different opinions on how much protein we actually need.

Most official nutrition organizations recommend a fairly modest protein intake.

The DRI (Dietary Reference Intake) is 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight, or 0.36 grams per pound (1).

This amounts to (2, 3):

56 grams per day for the average sedentary man.
        46 grams per day for the average sedentary woman.

Although this meager amount may be enough to prevent downright deficiency, studies show that it is far from sufficient to ensure optimal health and body composition.

It turns out that the “right” amount of protein for any one individual depends on many factors… including activity levels, age, muscle mass, physique goals and current state of health.

Comment

If you exercise regularly but aren't a world class bodybuilder, you can use up to about 1gm protein per lb of lean body mass, max. So if you are 200lb and 15% body fat, you might eat up to 170 gm of quality protein a day. That's a lot. Maintenance for someone not exercising much is only half that or less. Then add in your carb allowance based on your diet goals. Now add up the calories. The rest comes from good fats, up to your calorie needs.
          Last edited by NewOldGuy; 06-17-2015, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Tldr
            Answer: no

Comment

No. Eat enough protein for your needs, but eating more isn't better.

Comment

I agreed with all above answers because it is very necessary to know about important nutrition to our body. And here at this platform I grateful for such kind of information also. Actually I am from Hippocrates Health institute which is non-profitable institute in FL. The expert of this institute treat the patients based on nutrition and give a result oriented treatment for all who need assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by Miguelinileugim View Post
                  If large amounts of fat weren't present in meat back then (nor today either), should I get most of my calories from protein?
                  We know for a fact the meat had enough fat on it that they did not get most of their calories from protein.

Because humans get sick when they do. There's an obscure name for it, don't remember, the point is we aren't adapted to eating protein diets.

Comment

^^^
                    Rabbit starvation.

Also fresh kills have a certain amount of carbohydrate content.

Comment

Also there is that famous experiment where a guy named Stefansson ate nothing but meat for a year or whatever. He tried eating only lean meat, quickly got sick, but fatty meat he did just fine.

"As said, in the Arctic we had become ill during the second or third fatless week. I now became ill on the second fatless day. The time difference between Bellevue and the Arctic was due no doubt mainly to the existence of a little fat, here and there in our northern caribou - we had eaten the tissue from behind the eyes, we had broken the bones for marrow, and in doing everything we could to get fat we had evidently secured more than we realized. At Bellevue the meat, carefully scrutinized, had been as lean as such muscle tissue can be."

Two Brave Men Who Ate Nothing But Meat for an Entire Year

Comment

Originally posted by Urja View Post
                        ^^^
                        Rabbit starvation.

Also fresh kills have a certain amount of carbohydrate content.
                        I'm assuming muscle glycogen and the liver?

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Yup, glycogen.

"The normal diet of Eskimos contains an excessive amount of animal protein (280 gr.) and much fat (135 gr.) while the quantity of carbohydrate is extremely small (54 gr. of which m o r e than 1/2 is derived as glycogen from the meat eaten). Their dietary habits are very like those of the carniverous animals."

http://www.source-omega.com/files/up...73211E44CB.pdf

Comment

^^^

As far as I know, yes. Interesting read:

Disrupting Paleo: Inuit and Masai Ate Carbs and Prebiotics, Part 1 | Free The Animal

I know Richard's blog is rather inflammatory at times and he does like to stir up a fight, but there's often a lot of really interesting stuff to read on it. I like that he is open to learning new things - he was staunchly low carb and paleo and his since expanded his diet to match what has made him feel best. Takes courage to admit we were wrong!

Comment

"animals were leaner back then". says who? even the leanest of wild animals have plenty of visceral fat and our ancestors were quick to eat the oogly bits, like the brains, marrow and liver.

grok certainly wasn't eating boneless skinless chicken breasts.
                              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Working...
                              X