No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron, Food Enrichment and the Theory of Everything

Iron, Food Enrichment and The Theory of Everything | Free The Animal

Very interesting article. The hypothesis is that iron fortification in flour and food in general is causing obesity and disease. Iron fortification explains how France has relatively low rates of obesity but its people consumers relatively large amounts of bread - France does not do iron fortification.
    Yes, the real Dirk.

Good article.
    My opinions and some justification

Comment

Iron has been implicated by researchers for quite some time. I can't jump on it as a TOE as that is just too simplistic. There are quite many homeostatic mechanisms in place for each and every micronutrient, and all need certain ratios and balances. Our food enrichment ideas certainly have the downfall of replacing innate wisdom with something we "think" is better. Doesn't usually work out well for us.

Comment

This is a wonderful article. I hope it reaches far and wide! It's a fascinating theory that deserves attention. While it may not be absolute, there are too many facts within it that are quite hard to dismiss. It's one of the best theories I have heard on this subject. Iron overload may or may not be the primary cause of all that it is linked to, but it may be the catalyst or missing link in many conditions and dysfunctions and imbalances.

It certainly provides a good theory for why people often become healthier when they eliminate or drastically reduce processed foods in favor of whole foods in their diet; it could be why there are so many success stories across the dietary protocol spectrum: Paleo, vegan, McDougall, vegetarian, Atkins, juice fasts, macrobiotic, et al
        Last edited by j3nn; 06-19-2015, 10:04 AM.
        | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Well, crap. I've been supplementing iron for years due to iron deficiency anemia, low ferritin, low red blood cell counts, etc, etc. While I do include coffee, tea, eggs, dairy, chocolate, etc in my diet now I wonder if the supps are contributing to other health issues I deal with as well as my inability to drop any significant weight despite a healthy whole foods diet. I recently looked into and starting taking a copper supp, knowing it's a co-factor to iron absorption since despite all my supplementing, my serum ferritin level consistently tests at the very bottom of the normal lab range. Now this article's got me thinking maybe my body's hanging onto its fat stores for iron storage, as it suggests.
          Thanks for posting!

Comment

Soo... What should i do if i have anemia? I already eat red meat every day....and i have a feeling my doc might just advise iron supplements.

Comment

Wellll....it's got some good info but the article certainly overreaches. That's why its on a blog and not in a journal (no offense). And the bloggers state that they are "floating a hypothesis"......which is great, because it's true! So take it for what it is.

What's fairly obvious to me is that the source and type of nutrients is most important. If you have anemia and you are diagnosed iron deficient then you certainly need to do something about it. This blog post should not deter you from doing that. Improve absorption from natural sources or add more sufficient sources. Discuss any other underlying cause with doctor and get the testing....ect.
              Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-20-2015, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfi56 View Post
                Soo... What should i do if i have anemia? I already eat red meat every day....and i have a feeling my doc might just advise iron supplements.
                I think the most import thing is to know why and treat that if it's an underlying condition. I have iron deficient anemia from severe blood loss, so perhaps treating the underlying condition will also correct the anemia. There are many digestive issues associated with anemia, by the way.
                | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Alfi56 View Post
                  are you eating liver, oysters, and clams? they present with the necessary balance of other minerals for best iron absorption.

it's a fascinating article showing correlation, for sure. interesting george mcgovern had his finger in this mess too.
                  As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                    are you eating liver, oysters, and clams? they present with the necessary balance of other minerals for best iron absorption.

it's a fascinating article showing correlation, for sure. interesting george mcgovern had his finger in this mess too.
                    Ah, liver, oysters, and clams- the 3 foods I can't stomach!
                    I don't know for sure if I have anemia but I have definitely noticed symptoms of purple fingernail beds, heart palpitations, and slight difficulty breathing since I switched my meds to low dose estradiol for osteoporosis support. Made an appt w/ my doctor for next month, but I'm wondering if my meds can actually cause anemia?

Comment

good article

Comment

Working...
                      X