Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best magnesium supplement?

What's your favorite magnesium supplement? I don't take one daily, but I try to mix it in throughout the week. If it matters, I'm a 39 year old woman with very well controlled type II diabetes and eat VLC/HF.

I take natural calm every night. It does have stevia in it though so some may not like it. It's the only kind that doesn't give me a belly ache.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Thanks! How long does the 8oz jar last you?

Comment

Originally posted by Filet Minion View Post
        Thanks! How long does the 8oz jar last you?
        Forever lol. I take 1 tsp a day.

Comment

I like forever. It's the best seller in its category on Amazon, too, so I went ahead and ordered a 16 oz jar. Thanks for the help!

Comment

I get doctors best. It used to be available on amazon but recently have had to get it from this site: Doctors Best High Absorption Magnesium Chelated - 240 x 100mg Tablets - UK Supplier

Comment

Another vote for natural calm.

Comment

Magnesium Glycinate - any brand.

Comment

You already bought it but if you run into loose stools (mag citrate is an osmotic laxative) get the glycinate. Its more expensive but you can make it to the loo on time

Personally I get Magnesium Serene (citrate) and am quite pleased with the brand.

Comment

If you get loose stool from the natural calm it just means you need to back off a little bit. That's all.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Filet Minion View Post
                      What's your favorite magnesium supplement? I don't take one daily, but I try to mix it in throughout the week. If it matters, I'm a 39 year old woman with very well controlled type II diabetes and eat VLC/HF.
                      The best I've used (and still do) is Magnesium Oil, applied underarms, along the spine and behind the knees. It raises magnesium levels and relieves any muscular or joint pains that one might have. It also is an effective natural deodorant.

If one wants an oral supplement, magnesium malate (1250 mg) works well. But, no oral supplement works as well as transdermally absorbed magnesium oil. No loose stools with magnesium oil, either.

To avoid the relatively high cost of magnesium oil, you can make your own by bringing distilled water to a boil, turning off the heat and immediately adding an equal volume of magnesium chloride crystals. Stir until crystals are dissolved, let cool and then bottle. A pint lasts me a couple of months.
                      Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
                      Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

Also worth mentioning epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) and magnesium chloride as bath salts. Very relaxing and a great way to get magnesium - I believe the chloride is more effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Urja View Post
                          Also worth mentioning epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) and magnesium chloride as bath salts. Very relaxing and a great way to get magnesium - I believe the chloride is more effective.
                          True. Chloride is the better of the two. The magnesium oil I mentioned in my prior post is a saturated solution of magnesium chloride. It is more convenient to use than adding the crystals to a bath, but the bath approach is a good one, too.
                          Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
                          Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

I did have some magnesium "oil" but I was inconsistent in applying it. On the other hand I love hot baths, so for me the bath salt method is preferable.

A nice side effect is that the hot to cool change in body temperature when one gets out of the bath is very conducive to sleep. Add on top of that magnesium, and you have a good recipe for a peaceful night.

Comment

Yeah, I've always liked a nice epsom salt bath. Chemically, what's the difference between magnesium citrate, malate, glycinate, and chloride? Are there differences in absorption or how they're utilized in the body? Is there any advantage to having different formulations and rotating through them? I know you can overdo with magnesium, so to be clear, I'm not planning on mixing and matching on the same day, and will probably only (remember to take it) use it a few times a week.

Comment

Working...
                              X