Ad Widget

Collapse

Stainless vs Non-stick? Why would you NOT always use Non-stick?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless vs Non-stick? Why would you NOT always use Non-stick?

I have an All-Clad Stainless pan and a TFal NonStick.
    I always reach for the TFal.
    Why would I ever need a stainless? What are the pros?

Non-stick coating eventually wears down. With stainless steel or cast iron, you aren't going to risk putting toxic contaminants in your body by breaking down or scratching the surface of the pan.
    Depression Lies

Comment

True. That said, I LOVE my ceramic cookware.

Comment

They cook differently. Sometimes I do my eggs in the ceramic non-stick pan, sometimes in the cast iron pan. Depends what I feel like (and which pan is still buttery from the previous day!)

Steaks always in the iron pan. Skin-on salmon always in the ceramic one.

Comment

I use stainless steel for pretty much everything. I never have a problem with things sticking, so see no need to use non-stick. A little ghee or olive or coconut oil does the trick.
          LastBottleWines

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
            True. That said, I LOVE my ceramic cookware.
            Yeah I've never put ceramic in the same category as non-stick. But I don't really know if it's really as safe as SS or cast iron. I use ceramic regularly (cheap because that's how I roll) and it's incredibly convenient.
            Depression Lies

Comment

Stainless steel it what gives your seared steak or hamburgers their beautiful color, if you deglaze the pan with some butter, you'll have a delicious sauce for your meat. The trick is your pan needs to be hot enough befor you put in your meat or it will stick. You should dry the meat, and make sure it's not too cold or it will also stick. When you have your skillet hot enough, you can dump in a 1/4 teaspoon of water. If it dances around for a while, your skillet is hot enough. If the water sizzles a little and evaporates, you still have a little bit to go. SO when it's hot, add your oil, when the oil shimmers, lay your steak in there lowering it away from you so you don't splash hot oil on you. If your meat sticks a little, it will release it'self when it's done. I hope this helps.

Comment

OH, and always clean your SS well. I use cameo,it's with the kitchen cleansers. Makes the stainless shine and spotless.

Comment

Originally posted by fifer View Post
                  They cook differently. Sometimes I do my eggs in the ceramic non-stick pan, sometimes in the cast iron pan. Depends what I feel like (and which pan is still buttery from the previous day!)

Steaks always in the iron pan. Skin-on salmon always in the ceramic one.
                  Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkward View Post
                    I use stainless steel for pretty much everything. I never have a problem with things sticking, so see no need to use non-stick. A little ghee or olive or coconut oil does the trick.
                    TONS of extra calories. No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldehiker View Post
                      Stainless steel it what gives your seared steak or hamburgers their beautiful color, if you deglaze the pan with some butter, you'll have a delicious sauce for your meat. The trick is your pan needs to be hot enough befor you put in your meat or it will stick. You should dry the meat, and make sure it's not too cold or it will also stick. When you have your skillet hot enough, you can dump in a 1/4 teaspoon of water. If it dances around for a while, your skillet is hot enough. If the water sizzles a little and evaporates, you still have a little bit to go. SO when it's hot, add your oil, when the oil shimmers, lay your steak in there lowering it away from you so you don't splash hot oil on you. If your meat sticks a little, it will release it'self when it's done. I hope this helps.
                      Why don't you just use a non-stick pan?
                      You will be able to skip all that extra crap?

Why do people avoid nonstick? How is it worse?
                      People really think they'll get AutisCanceHeimer's from the coating?

Comment

You can't sear/brown very well in non-stick. For one, you shouldn't get it searing hot because it will give off fumes. Also, I think most non-stick pans don't have enough thermal mass/conductivity to sear.

Comment

Stainless steel and cast iron cook better. You get more brown bits (fond) from which to make a pan sauce.

I do use well-seasoned cast iron or ceramic non-stick for fried eggs.
                          https://instagram.com/dinnerwithek/

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSkeptic View Post
                            Why don't you just use a non-stick pan?
                            You will be able to skip all that extra crap?

Why do people avoid nonstick? How is it worse?
                            People really think they'll get AutisCanceHeimer's from the coating?
                            Seems like you really don't want any answer but using non stick pans. A SS pan or for that matter any cooking device is going to work as well as the person cooking can use it. I can cook in SS or cast iron with minimal added fats. Primal/Paleo mindset is generally less is more.

Comment

Originally posted by eats.meats.west View Post
                              Seems like you really don't want any answer but using non stick pans. A SS pan or for that matter any cooking device is going to work as well as the person cooking can use it. I can cook in SS or cast iron with minimal added fats. Primal/Paleo mindset is generally less is more.
                              I'm inclined to agree with you!

Comment

Working...
                              X