Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isisinabi
    started a topic Calories: is this too low?

Calories: is this too low?

Calories: 1260-1350
    Carbs: 84.3
    Fat 52.5
    Protein: 134.9
    Estimated 67% bodyfat.

Sex: Female
    Weight: 283
    Workouts: 4x a week. Tues, Weds, Thurs 6 sets of squats, 12 each. Followed by 34 minutes of cardio boxing. Fridays 1hr of dancing.

I was suggested in a few forums to increase my carbs (I was doing under 50 carbs and high fat for a long time and gained a lot of weight) and decrease my fats. I'm hitting the mark for the past 2 days and I'm not expecting to see any miracles in that time, but I am curious to know if this sounds correct for someone of my size to eat for weight loss. I got this from iifym.com.

• Isisinabi
    replied
    Originally posted by mzteaze View Post
    Just as a side note, are you actively walking daily?. I've found that I can consistently lose as long as I keep up with consistently walking daily. I use a activity tracker and aim for 10,000 steps daily in addition to my workout routine. You may find that it helps.

Also, I'm a little confused on the weight gain timeline... Were you eating around 1300 cals with those macros and gaining?
    I am walking, three times a week for 30 minutes each. I know I lost my initial weight with mostly walking too. I think my initial weight gain was because I stopped tracking and ate lots of paleofied treats (this was around Christmas time) 2 years ago. I tried ketosis after that because I wanted to get away from 250, got down to like 235 and got really sick and had to stop. My electrolytes were stupid low and I was severely dehydrated. After that I stayed around 50 carbs but didn't track calories too much.

6 weeks ago I was roughly in the 1900 to 2100 calorie range, staying at high fat low carb and am up to 285. So now I'm doing the opposite but staying at 1300 carbs or lower if I can help it

From the mind of a Galaxy.
    Last edited by Isisinabi; 07-29-2015, 02:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sharperhawk
    replied
    Dear Mark: Am I Eating Too Little Food or Too Much Iron?

Leave a comment:

• mzteaze
    replied
    Just as a side note, are you actively walking daily?. I've found that I can consistently lose as long as I keep up with consistently walking daily. I use a activity tracker and aim for 10,000 steps daily in addition to my workout routine. You may find that it helps.

Also, I'm a little confused on the weight gain timeline... Were you eating around 1300 cals with those macros and gaining?

Leave a comment:

• Paleo Princess
    replied
    Just thought I would check. Some people on the site do not follow the plan but write in for answers. Good luck and hope this will work for you. I have done it all and it is the best way to eat.

Leave a comment:

• Isisinabi
    replied
    Originally posted by Paleo Princess View Post
    Are you following the primal plan? What kind of carbs, fat and protein are you eating? The reason I ask this is because once I went on a primal lifestyle I did not have to count calories.
    I'm following Marks paleo book yes. The fats I'm eating (for now) are coming from bacon, steak/hamburger, eggs and chicken thighs with skin. Carbs coming from carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and squash and protein from above. I have had to add a whey protein shake with coconut milk to get in the protein I need.

When I first did this I didn't need to count calories or anything else but I need to be able to see what I'm doing now. I got way down to 210 previously and then lost my mind and completely forgot what to do so to lose the weight. Then I got sidetracked with ketosis, got sick...bleh was a nightmare. I am back up to 283 so I need to know what I'm doing in case I lose my mind again and forget.

From the mind of a Galaxy.

Leave a comment:

• Paleo Princess
    replied
    Are you following the primal plan? What kind of carbs, fat and protein are you eating? The reason I ask this is because once I went on a primal lifestyle I did not have to count calories.

Leave a comment:

• Isisinabi
    replied
    Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
    when you were eating lchf how many cals were you consuming? for most people it's self-limiting and cals naturally fall pretty low, making it tough to NOT lose, never mind gain.

have you had your thyroid checked?
    I was eating between 1800 - 1900 a day per what I was showing in My Fitnesspal. I wanted don't seem to have a problem with the calories so far being this low, since now I'm only eating when I'm hungry instead of just eating when the clock tells me to. Plus all the veggies and meat is helping now. I didn't eat very many veggies previously, as I didn't want my carb intake to be high. I did have my thyroid checked and it came back fine. Oddly enough.

You're most likely fine on calories if you have only obesity as a health issue.

If you're losing the way you want to lose, keep on keepin' on.

Since you're female, unless you're like eight feet tall, , you have a bunch to lose. I think of the excess fat we carry as a portable refrigerator. Eating low calorie gives you a chance to "eat" what's in that refrigerator. Weird analogy perhaps, but it's how I think.

As to the carbs and fat, if one or the other is a trigger for you, then limit the amount most days and give yourself a treat once in awhile.

Good luck!
    That is a good analogy, because before I was piling the fat on and idiot me was under the impression that eating more fat would somehow make the fat go away. Not sure where I got that from but it is what it is I guess.

Also it's only been 2 days so I can't really say that I've lost anything minus water. I fluctuate greatly in the water department, some days up to 5lbs. I'm doing a 6 week workout thing so I'm going to keep at this for 6 weeks, weighing myself once a week early in the morning before I've chomped on anything. I'm hoping that will give me some time to have some sort of feedback on whether this works or not. Just didn't know where true starvation levels were as lord knows I don't want the fat to stick there even more-so because my body thinks its starving to death.

Leave a comment:

• noodletoy
    replied
    when you were eating lchf how many cals were you consuming? for most people it's self-limiting and cals naturally fall pretty low, making it tough to NOT lose, never mind gain.

have you had your thyroid checked?

Leave a comment:

• JoanieL
    replied
    You're most likely fine on calories if you have only obesity as a health issue.

If you're losing the way you want to lose, keep on keepin' on.

Since you're female, unless you're like eight feet tall, , you have a bunch to lose. I think of the excess fat we carry as a portable refrigerator. Eating low calorie gives you a chance to "eat" what's in that refrigerator. Weird analogy perhaps, but it's how I think.

As to the carbs and fat, if one or the other is a trigger for you, then limit the amount most days and give yourself a treat once in awhile.

Good luck!

JMO, and YMMV.

Leave a comment:

• vh67
    replied
    I think it depends on a number of factors. Hormonal problems can make it more difficult to lose weight. The biggest question would be are you losing weight? If so how much? If it is more than two pounds a week after a couple of weeks, you might want to up your calories.

Keeping up the exercise is important too. Not because of the calories you burn from the exercise but because it helps you build muscles and is important in hormone regulation. For me it was the missing link in getting my PCOS under control.

I would give it a week or two to see how you feel and if you lose weight. As you build muscle and regulate your hormones, you may be able to eat more and continue to lose.

Leave a comment:

• Elliot
    replied
    That definitely sounds too low to me

Leave a comment:

Working...
X