Ad Widget

Collapse

Carb intake for working out, losing way to much weight, need advice.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb intake for working out, losing way to much weight, need advice.

Hello everyone,
    I was 144 pounds before going primal, cutting grains has been great, however I've dropped down to 129 pounds. I've started working out (starting yesterday) and am trying to add calories and protein to increase lean muscle, is getting over a 150 grams of carbs ok until I get back to 144 to 150 lbs? Because at this point I don't know how to add any more calories, protein, without adding carbs, and it's really defeating being a male at 129 lbs but yet I'm eating healthy, this is really frustrating, any advice how to get the aforementioned would be great, because just saying I need to eat more isn't cutting it-

Why on earth are you worried about eating too many carbs? You weigh under 130. Are you a male? Because unless he's a double amputee or a dwarf, no adult male should weigh under 130.

Eat more. Of everything.

Then eat again.

Comment

^ sound advice. Feed your face.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

If you aren't talking, you should be eating.

Comment

Originally posted by WeldingHank View Post
          If you aren't talking, you should be eating.
          Wow, thanks guys, specific, and supportive. I thought after reading the primal blueprint, I was to stay within 100-150 grams of carbs a day to sustain weight, but far beit to ask the question I asked above about going over that 150 mark if your working out, and the other advice for calories and protein, again, thanks for addressing that, hell I should just go and get some pizza and any other grains since I'm a male under 130, man what a waste of time this was and embarrassing, I hope that when your in need of help sometime, you don't get the same responses I got- (the first three) thanks, you guys have a great rest of the day.

Comment

Honestly they are telling the truth, but maybe a bit too blunt. It would seem that you need to eat more, and maybe your genes will work better with higher carb intake. For instance there is a group of people in south America that thrives off of a very high carb, high calorie, drink, but they also run/walk tremendous distances daily. Some people just process foods differently.

If you want to put on weight and still keep your carbs close to your current level, and you are lactose tolerant, you could start working towards GOMAD (gallon of milk a day). Lots of strongmen, power lifters, and even some body builders swear by this for bulking. Just don't go out and drink a gallon on your first day... make sure you gradually progress.

Lastly, what kind of working out are you doing? Lifting will work better with GOMAD from everything I've read.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander72 View Post
              Wow, thanks guys, specific, and supportive. I thought after reading the primal blueprint, I was to stay within 100-150 grams of carbs a day to sustain weight, but far beit to ask the question I asked above about going over that 150 mark if your working out, and the other advice for calories and protein, again, thanks for addressing that, hell I should just go and get some pizza and any other grains since I'm a male under 130, man what a waste of time this was and embarrassing, I hope that when your in need of help sometime, you don't get the same responses I got- (the first three) thanks, you guys have a great rest of the day.
              Are you kidding? Eat as much primal food as you can fit. Then eat some more. The carb curve is ridiculously irrelevant to your needs. Stop being butthurt and pick up a fork. You wanted advice, and that's what you're getting. You won't suddenly be 200 pounds of fatty.

You can give us more specific info if you want more specific advice, but based on what you've said so far that's the best you can hope for. Eat.

Comment

Wow! You want someone to come hold your hand, take you grocery shopping and make all your meals for you. If you did a tiny bit of research on this site you would know that many, many, many primal folks far exeed 150 grams of carbs a day. Especially if you are not trying to lose weight and you're active.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

I just hired a trainer, I'm to weak and out of shape to do any serious weights, but his plan is to get me conditioned up this month and then start lifting for lean mass. Unfortunately his diet was pretty much all grains and I simply don't want to go back to oatmeal bread and the such, I've spent hours trying build something along 1800-1900 calories a day, but I'm maxing out at 1200-1400, the carbs part is easy to do, again, I can get it over 150, but I'm not sure if the fruits and everything to do that was healthy, if for example, out of 150 carbs, 100 of those were from fruit, would that be ok? I can get the protein up to about 150 grams a day. Again, I just didn't know how far to go out of the parameters to gain healthy weight and not just pack on garbage. Thanks for your response, greatly appreciated.

Comment

I don't remember asking for such, I do my own grocery shopping and make my own meals, I thought I was fairly clear in what I wrote. I have done quite a few a searches over the last two days concerning weight gain etc., I didn't come across anyone saying they get more than 150 grams of carbs a day, but thanks for your response, have a great rest of the day.

Comment

I just hired a trainer, I'm to weak and out of shape to do any serious weights, but his plan is to get me conditioned up this month and then start lifting for lean mass. Unfortunately his diet was pretty much all grains and I simply don't want to go back to oatmeal bread and the such, I've spent hours trying build something along 1800-1900 calories a day, but I'm maxing out at 1200-1400, the carbs part is easy to do, again, I can get it over 150, but I'm not sure if the fruits and everything to do that was healthy, if for example, out of 150 carbs, 100 of those were from fruit, would that be ok? I can get the protein up to about 150 grams a day. Again, I just didn't know how far to go out of the parameters to gain healthy weight and not just pack on garbage. Thanks for your response, greatly appreciated.
                      OK, better.

1) It's been said a bunch, but you gotta find a way to eat more. I'd be aiming for 2500+ per day, more if you can figure out how. And no, don't eat sh*tty food; all primal fare is a go, and even some marginal stuff like quality ice cream or whatever should be on the menu. Unless you're freakishly short, you're well underweight. I can't imagine how fruit could be bad, unless it's making you full and crowding out more calorie-dense food.

2) Maybe you're in the 5% and got a good personal trainer, but I'm skeptical. Why can't you lift weights? That's how weights work--you start with light ones and they gradually get heavier.

3) Any history of eating disorders or other health issues we should know about?

Comment

Adding: I'm not being flippant: you need to treat this under 130 weight issue like you have a disease you're trying to cure.

Comment

It would be easier to get your calories up with fat. Lots of primal people include white rice and potatoes in their diets too if you want more carbs. At your weight I don't think you need to count carbs or fat. Eat as much as you can handle. Just make sure you get the protein you need. I think you are supposed to eat the amount of protein you would eat to maintain your ideal weight.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Alright, people, you don't have to be jerks.

My husband has spent his whole adult life between 140-150lb. He's stronger than almost any guy we know (any that isn't in the gym 4 days/week), faster than all the adults we know (none are professional athletes), and is 43 years old but can just run out and play softball or Ultimate with college guys 5-6 times a year with no soreness the next day. He never works out. Ever. He has a desk job. He eats kinda PHD (more or less primal but with white rice) all the time naturally (has his whole life, even when low fat was the mantra) except he has wheat a few times a week. He's 5'10".

Why I am bothering to tell you this? Because when he cuts out wheat, he drops 15lb, every single time. He then looks and performs the same way, but is 125-135lb. That doesn't mean he has a disease; it's just his build. (The weight he loses removing wheat is pure bloat & water, so it's not like it's doing him any good.)

So the precise weight is not the issue; the weakness is a much bigger issue. Yes, it sounds like you need to be eating at least 2500-3000kcal a day (or quality nutrient-dense food), checking out Starting Strength from the library or youtubing Mark Rippetoe (to double-check the advice your trainer is giving you), and not really worrying if you get 150-200gm of carbs in a day, especially if it's from roots, tubers, (even white rice,) winter squashes, other starchy veggies, and yes, a decent amount of fruit (I'm more partial to veggie carbs, though, for health). Get plenty of fat, too, and at least a full serving of protein with 3 meals a day.

Lift, lift, lift some more. Play, hike, swim, whatever you enjoy, but get some strength training in twice a week for sure, with excellent form (because lifting heavy with bad form = injury), then do more a little more weight the next time.

Good luck to you, and keep us updated!

BTW, how tall are you? And do you happen to be Asian? (I know a lot of really lean, really strong, really fast Asian guys who are quite healthy at around 130lb, between 5'6" and 5'10" in height.)
                            5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                            Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                            Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                            Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                            ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Read this:

To Be A Beast | Barbell Medicine

Incorporate the concepts within the primal context.

Fire your trainer, buy Starting Strength, and do the novice program while you eat like you just got out of prison.

Win

We'll help with any questions that pop up along the way.
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                              X