Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality vs Quantity

Earlier this week Mark mentioned that lately he's been favoring quality over quantity. Would you rather spend money on a pound of conventional grain fed beef or 1/2 pound of grass fed? Pound of farmed salmon or 1/2 pound of wild caught? If you choose quality, what do you eat to make up for the shortfall in calories?

I favor quality AND quantity so I guess I'm out of this conversation

But reading your post I have never heard this stated as an either/or issue. More of a "don't let perfection be the enemy of the good" argument in favor of sourcing the best you can afford or find in your situation.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-31-2015, 10:39 AM.

Comment

I won't touch farm raised fish unless it's from one of those aqua gardens where the fish live in the water that the plants grow in. The fish fertilize the plants and we eat the fish and the veggies. There is little to no waste produced. Can't think of it so if someone knows the name of this technique feel free to chime in here. The cost of wild caught fish isn't that much more than farm raised in my experience so I always go with wild. As far as other animal foods are concerned I buy grass fed/pastured when I can afford it but my wife and my four year old son eat differently than me and the cost gets too high for me to get the good stuff. Lately I've been trying to eat mostly seafood as i can afford wild caught easier than pastured beef or chicken or whatever else.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm budget conscious but I allocate for protein first within a certain range. I never buy $20 steaks or swordfish, (nor $2 pork ribs and ground chicken). If this results in a shortfall of fat energy I can always make it up with a vegetable vehicle like a crudité with guacamole or sour cream, buttery spinach or cabbage, root roast with duck fat, etc.
        37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

The 1/2 pound of grass-fed beef. The half pound of wild salmon, with the caveat that when strapped for money, I happily eat canned wild salmon rather than farmed salmon.

On the outside chance that my metabolism is suddenly as efficient as a young healthy male's, I guess I'd eat lots of butter for added calories. Pastured, of course.
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Quality every time. Tasting wild salmon and farmed salmon - no comparison.
            Healthy is the new wealthy.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/ances...handnutrition/

Comment

Under current circumstances, including my budget and tendency to eat a lot of meat in one sitting, its quantity for me.

Comment

Where I live, it is not a choice between a half pound of grass fed or a pound of regular meat for the same price, but more like a quarter or a fifth or even a sixth of a pound of grass fed to a pound of regular. So for me it is a necessity that I eat the meat from the supermarket, because if I don't eat enough meat I just don't feel right. And for me, enough turns out to be quite a lot.

Comment

Sadly quantity rules with me. Having a strained income and having a family where I am the only Primal makes it hard to justify the extra cost.

Comment

I try to get quality... I never eat basin farmed fish but I do eat cage farmed fish. The difference is the flow of fresh water into the cage compared to the limited flow of water in basins.
                    If I can I buy grassfed beef but it is expensive so normally I go for organic beef.
                    Chicken I buy conventional raised unless the organic version is on sale.

I also look at where the animals are raised. I don't buy meat from countries where I know they are still using a lot of hormones or medication on the animals.
                    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Torc View Post
                      Sadly quantity rules with me. Having a strained income and having a family where I am the only Primal makes it hard to justify the extra cost.
                      I know the feeling. My wife gave primal a try but stopped and my son eats different yet. Some days I have to prepare three separate meals at dinner time. We do still go for quality when we can afford it.

Comment

Quantity because I'm on a budget and also don't care too much about organic food any more (what happened? not sure). No diet is perfect and that's ok. I'm happy to be able to avoid bad oils and weird chemicals and canned food, even if it means eating conventional chicken instead of grassfed beef for protein and regular veggies instead of organic.

Comment

Quality, but I go for the cheap cuts. Steaks? Pffth, not hardly. I love the stewing cuts. I buy quality eggs, poultry and fish. Where I draw the line is all organic vegetables. Have you seen the price for organic bell peppers and cucumbers? *shivers* I can go through a bell pepper a DAY!
                          Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

I do hate buying cafo meat and have considered making fish my main source of protein. Wild caught fish is way more affordable than pastured beef, chicken or pork. I'm hoping to fill my freezer with wild game that I harvest myself this fall and winter as well.

Comment

Working...
                            X