Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canned Oysters

Hey all. I don't live in a coastal area and canned oysters are the best available/most affordable/least risky way to get them. Am I losing out on the nutritional benefits of oysters by eating the heat-treated, canned version?

Also, is anyone else having trouble with the search function throughout the MDA site? I'm reasonably certain I'm not the first to ask about canned oysters, but both main page search and forum search stopped working for me some time back.

Originally posted by Filet Minion View Post
    Hey all. I don't live in a coastal area and canned oysters are the best available/most affordable/least risky way to get them. Am I losing out on the nutritional benefits of oysters by eating the heat-treated, canned version?

Also, is anyone else having trouble with the search function throughout the MDA site? I'm reasonably certain I'm not the first to ask about canned oysters, but both main page search and forum search stopped working for me some time back.
    Canned oysters are fine. Not much, if any, nutrition is lost in the canning process. Try to find them canned in water or olive oil. Other oils are questionable. I just checked and I'm having no problem searching the forum. I did at one time awhile back but that corrected itself.

Comment

It's kinda difficult to find smoked oysters(which I love) packed in olive oil. The only ones I've been able to find are at trader joes. The ones at the most other stores are packed in cottonseed oil.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, I steer clear of the cottonseed oil varieties and go for brine-packed. Glad I'm not missing much by living inland (except, you know, everything awesome about living on a coast).

Comment

Regular thing for me--turning a can into a pot of chowder is a quick complete meal. Cheap brands like Chicken of the Sea & Geisha gave me pause but the ingredients check out.

I dislike the smoked tins. Like others mentioned, watch the oil type if you go with these.
          37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

What about the country of origin? It seems like a lot of them come from China or Korea. I'm a little hesitant to eat anything from China due to all the pollution in their waters. I don't know about Korea. Ideally, I'd prefer them to be locally sourced but that's not the case.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidA View Post
              What about the country of origin? It seems like a lot of them come from China or Korea. I'm a little hesitant to eat anything from China due to all the pollution in their waters. I don't know about Korea. Ideally, I'd prefer them to be locally sourced but that's not the case.
              There was a big recall a couple years ago on the ones from Korea. I guess they were basically growing them in sewage or something.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

The ones I get are smoked and unfortunately packed in sunflower oil. I drain off all the oil and don't worry about it. If I had the olive oil option, I'd go with that. I tried the ones packed in water and they were nasty.

Comment

I buy Crown Prince boiled oysters, packed in water, through Amazon's Subscribe & Save. The 12-pack comes out to less than $3 per can. I usually throw it into a salad, but you could do anything else that you would do with oysters.
                  I moved to primalforums.com to escape the spam.

Comment

I can't add anything about canned oysters, which I don't ever buy, but the search function on this site hasn't worked for me in quite a long time.
                    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Comment

Yeah, I'm going to try on my other computer tomorrow and see if it's a browser issue.

Comment

Make sure they are in water only, or some salt, and enjoy.
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Mussels may not provide quite the same level of nutrition as oysters, but they're very close. They are one of the few farmed seafoods that are grown in their natural environment and provide equal benefits to wild gathered mussels. They are plentiful and and less expensive than oysters.
                          Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
                          Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

I can't search either. I tried yesterday and today and it comes back with "no results" or "404 error" or something like that.

I am on Chrome.

re Oysters

I make one thing a year at Christmas and it calls for canned oysters in water. I buy the Bumble Bee "Fancy" Oysters in the can.

Comment

How are you guys eating the oysters canned in water? I found the fishy smell/taste overwhelming and I'm not very skittish about that type of stuff. I can eat plain sardines in water out of a can without blinking.

Comment

Working...
                              X