Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80% rule

Trying to sustain this diet by using 80% rule. Basically 100% primal mon-fri and 100% not primal sat-sun.
    How bad is this for my health? This is (roughly) 80% primal but I'd guess not the ideal way to divide it up.

Originally posted by Tabula Rasa View Post
    Trying to sustain this diet by using 80% rule. Basically 100% primal mon-fri and 100% not primal sat-sun.
    How bad is this for my health? This is (roughly) 80% primal but I'd guess not the ideal way to divide it up.
    Like you said probably not the best way to use that 20% but still better than eating a SAD everyday I would say. I fall into that same pattern sometimes but end up spending half the week with a bad food hangover.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tabula Rasa View Post
      Studies show, and even Mark has said that infrequent (once a week or so) forays into the realm of eating whatever you want actually help some to stick with dietary changes and may help people lose more weight. I do a once a week whatever I want day and continue to do much better than I did with "primal all the time" with the exception of the first 30 days. If you're going to do the PB I personally recommend doing it solidly for 30 days and then see where you are and what adjustments you can make. The 80/20 option is not bad for your health and can also improve your emotional well being especially if you tend toward emotional eating.

Comment

Probably not terrible, assuming you can keep to that split (which is unlikely).

Think about all the times you'll have to make exceptions for weekday events that will inevitably happen. I find it easier to just emphasize the "primal" side of my diet and let the rest happen. I've been at it a while, but I probably run higher than 80% primal honestly, without bothering to track it.

Once it becomes a true WOE rather than a diet, you'll know when you're tipping too far in one direction or the other.
        I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
        SW (Feb 2012): 278
        SBF: 26% (Scale)
        CW (Sept 2015): 200
        CBF: 17% (Scale)

Comment

It depends on what that 20% is

If we're talking stuff like pizza or ice cream or a burger with the bun, youll be ok

if your eating stuff like kit-kat bars and butterfingers and oreos and cakes and red dye#40, you might as well start writing your obituary. that kind of stuff makes me feel like trash

even with that "bad" 20% you can still choose better options. like, lets say you feel like ordering pizza one night and you could choose dominos which is ULTRA greasy and disgusting and just loaded with omega 6 fats, or you could go pick up a pizza from a local pizza place that DOESNT saturate their pizza in oil and the crust is nice and dry, then obviously you could go with the non-greasy option and feel MUCH BETTER
          Last edited by purplegorilla; 08-11-2015, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by purplegorilla View Post
            It depends on what that 20% is

If it's not SUPER processed food like pizza or ice cream or a burger with the bun, youll be ok

if your eating stuff like kit-kat bars and butterfingers and oreos and cakes and red dye#40, you might as well start writing your obituary. that kind of stuff makes me feel like trash

even with that "bad" 20% you can still choose better options. like, lets say you feel like ordering pizza one night and you could choose dominos which is ULTRA greasy and disgusting and just loaded with omega 6 fats, or you could go pick up a pizza from a local pizza place that DOESNT saturate their pizza in oil and the crust is nice and dry, then obviously you could go with the non-greasy option and feel MUCH BETTER
            ^^^^ This is a good one so I will clarify my comment. My "anything I want day" does not include the "fake food" part of what purplegorilla has mentioned above and I agree with the comment. Ice cream and sweets don't have as bad an effect on me as wheat products. Forays should be responsible forays. Eventually you will lose taste for most of the SAD things. I did.
            Last edited by pkjody; 08-11-2015, 10:15 AM.

Comment

yea and its different for different people.

for me, i dont nessasarily HAVE to avoid wheat/gluten, even tho i know i should. a little gluten here and there doesnt affect me much. but if im eating bucketfuls of simple sugar in the form of cake or oreos or candy bars, i feel terrible.

This is not the case for everybody

Comment

Personally I would not because any desired results or lack thereof would be nagged by doubt. Weekday meals should satisfy enough that one doesn't need a "jailbreak" though it can take time to develop a rotation. As for Saturday and Sunday I have more leisure time to cook so if anything they're easier to do PB.

My understanding of 80/20 is to not panic in situations where one cannot control the menu.
                37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

I had a lot more crappy choices (maybe close to 10-20%) when I first started out eating paleo than I do now. Of course eating 80% healthy food is better than eating 0% healthy food for long term health, but if you're not getting the results you want (whatever that is) then you should reexamine your food intake. Additionally, if you constantly feel the need to cheat then perhaps you should reexamine the reason behind that as well.
                  JOURNAL..
                  @BabesWithBBQ.
                  Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                  Professional Style Website.
                  #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Not bad. But not as good as staying on it for 7 days a week.

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
                      Weekday meals should satisfy enough that one doesn't need a "jailbreak" though it can take time to develop a rotation.
                      This is the part that bothers me. If you have to force yourself to stick with Paleo during the week, then maybe you need to find paleo compliant items that don't leave you feeling deprived by Friday.

Comment

I think the 80/20 rule is something people just naturally default to (but not struggle to attain). My rule is, whenever I'm eating at home, it's usually about 90% paleo/primal. When I head to a restaurant or over to a friends for dinner, I eat whatever is available, that's basically my cheat time.

I'm a big believer in listening to your body when it comes to food. If your hungry, do not starve yourself under any stretch, the stress and cortisol reaction can have a completely opposite effect on what your aiming for as cortisol masks itself as insulin resistance. I think this aspect of "dieting" (I use the word dieting loosely), is something people underestimate. Not being happy with what your eating, not looking forward to what your eating, or even starving yourself, could trigger a cortisol reaction.

If your eating mainly paleo/primal food, you shouldn't have satiety problems without going overboard. It's very difficult to overeat (calorie wise) on vegetables, next to impossible I believe. If your craving something, I believe it's an indication that the body is lacking some sort of minerals. For example, if I stick to 0 to low carb for anymore than 3 days while maintaining a semi-active lifestyle, my electrolytes take a hit. I know the feeling because I suddenly start craving salty foods so things like chips and crackers start looking really good. I fix that by regularly having a home made electrolyte drink, well when I think to make it.

Do you keep track at all of your food via a program like Cronometer? It'll show you where you sit in regards to vitamin and mineral levels. You may find your low on some of them.

Comment

If I ate whatever I wanted on the weekends, I'd never lose body fat and I'd always feel kind of sick. My non-paleo foods are usually less than one meal a week to stick to my goals. Otherwise it takes me most of the week to recover in some manner (usually digestively)!
                          Depression Lies

Comment

I tried this before and then realized I could pound thousands and thousands of garbage calories in pizza and beer, enough to probably not even make the other 5 days worth it.

Comment

For me, the 80/20 split means that I save the crap for when I'm at social family events. If I go to the local amusement park with my sister and her family, am I passing up those insanely delicious mini-donuts? Hell no! If I go to my other sister's for a party, am I passing up on the cake? Hell no! If I go to a restaurant for my birthday, am I going to decline the dessert? Hell no!

I consider that kind of 80/20 to be an investment in mental health. Also, if I'm having a sweet craving I might make a 'paleo approved' sweet and consider it part of my twenty. Because who really thinks a paleo kit-kat bar is any good for you? (that's a real recipe)
                              Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Working...
                              X