No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HCL Betaine with Pepsin Question

Hi everyone,
    I have a question about HCL Betaine. Does anyone know of any protocols explaining how long it can be taken and in what doses? I am a 47 year old, 175 pound male and have been taking 6 Thorne Betaine HCL Pepsin capsules with each meal that has protein. Each capsule contains 520 mg Betaine HCL and 20 mg Pepsin. I have been at this level since June 2015. The effects have been very positive. A number of food sensitivities cleared up almost overnight. How long can I stay at this dosage? Can I take more to clear up remaining sensitivities? Are there side effects to watch out for? Thanks!

Get rid of heartburn and GERD forever in three simple steps

Chris Kresser's posts on GERD may answer some of those questions.
    Depression Lies

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

I used the method espoused by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBridge in her GAPS protocol quite a few years ago. As I recall, you start by taking just part of a capsule, and if it doesn't cause stomach distress of any kind, take a bit more and more till you get to the point that it causes a bit of discomfort, then back off a bit, or until you get to teh recommended max (I don't remember the numbers for the max, because it varies depending on how much is in your capsule).

Then you stay at that until you start to get a bit of distress - a little pain, or bubbling, or something like that, each time you take it. You back off and stay there, etc.

For me, though, it took me a while to figure out my clue. It turned out that it was excessive phlegm, really a sign of reflux. I had it for probably 6 months before I figured it out. I was watching Dr. Oz while having an oil change or something and he was talking about how husky voices or excessive throat phlegm could be a sign of reflux, and I saw it elsewhere, too, and so I tried backing off the HCl, and sure enough, it took about a month, but it all went away and never came back.

I think the HCl supplementation was an important part of healing my digestion, along with digestive enzymes, ox bile, & being 100% wheat-free.
        5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
        Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
        Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
        Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
        ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Oh, and a month of being FODMAP-free.
          5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
          Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
          Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
          Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
          ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Thanks MamaGrok!

Comment

Working...
            X