Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not yet pregnant, but curious about paleo during pregnancy

Ok... i'm not yet pregnant, but given I hope to be in the next 2 years or so, I've had this question on my mind. So, I've been relatively grain free for years. I eat primarily paleo. I have a condition called non classic congenital adrenal hyperplasia and I feel great on a paleo way of eating. In addition to this I had hypothalamic amenorrhea for years, and this sort of diet helped me start cycling regularly after amenorrhea for years. It may be a challenge w/ the CAH, but Lord willing, we will have a child. I have eaten no processed foods or sugars or grains for years. It's obviously different from how many people eat. If we were to get pregnant, is it important for me to eat at least some grains? This is something I've wondered, because I'd hate for the baby to miss out on nutrients, but I would want to keep eating the way that feels healthy for me and I've done for years. It would feel weird to start eating foods I haven't in years. I've heard horror stories of women who eat healthy for years, get pregnant and can only keep down bread. I would be so upset! Anyone have a healthy paleo pregnancy, with a healthy baby at the end? Is that possible? What is the ideal way for a pregnant woman to eat? Is no grains even safe?

This doesn't answer your question, but if I was trying to conceive I wouldn't go too low carb.

Comment

There are no nutrients from grains that you can't get from other foods. Why would not eating grains be unsafe?
      Depression Lies

Comment

^^^

Also yeah nothing in grains you can't get elsewhere. However, I can't speak for whether you will crave grains during pregnancy and feel sickened by some primal/ paleo foods.

Comment

You can eat tubers & squashes galore for carbs. I agree; I wouldn't go low-carb with pregnancy. I would also start now feeding yourself the kinds of superfoods that every traditional society fed their pregnant women: those high in vit A/D/K2, like liver (super important), fish roe, whole shellfish, fermented cod liver oil (easy to take without tasting if you can't stomach anything else). These are the most important for a healthy baby (birth defects like clefts and those caused by chicken pox & rubella are usually caused by vitamin A deficiency (or too much *synthetic* vitamin A). Research Weston Price like crazy, eat tubers & winter squashes & roots & maybe some white rice if you can't do grains (and I wouldn't do grains), and be sure to ask your doctor carefully about the possible effects of CAH on the baby. Try to learn about how to prevent CAH in your own baby, for instance, any kraft paper pollution in nearby waters causing androgens in water supply? or signs you're putting out too much testosterone regularly or occasionally? etc.

I don't know much about CAH's causes other than the fact that it's from the mother putting out too much androgens for the fetus. Why? That I don't know.
          5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
          Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
          Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
          Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
          ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

You might want to check out some of the programs that people in the paleo-sphere have put together:
            Healthy Baby Code by Chris Kresser, L.Ac
            Get notified when Baby Making & Beyond is available!

Comment

with your health so much improved without grains, i can't understand why they would be a good food to add back? you can eat all sorts of starchy foods for carbs, like tubers and rice, as well as fruits. definitely include the superfoods that mamagrok noted above.

good luck!
              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Happy Baby making! I never had morning (or any other time) sickness with 4 pregnancies. I DID crave carbs, though, and ate lots of winter squashes and potatoes and some rice. And dairy, I loved milk with my first couple of kids, not so much the last two...You can just eat nutritious foods for you and the fetus to be. Let your cravings guide you. And the powerhouse nutrition mentioned above is great!

Comment

My wife and kids paleo pre, during, and post pregnancy. All thriving. Much like our far off ancestors

Comment

Not to get all up in your business, but before you try to create a child, research adoption options. There are a lot of kids out there without parents. Adopting one would make the world a better place.

M.

Comment

Yeah... You should probably stay out of other people's reproductive choices.

I am pregnant right now and following a primal program. I keep around 125 carbs a day and feel fantastic. I actually have energy to roll out of bed and hit the gym at 5:00AM. I subscribe to the 80/20 rule - no grains for the most part but 2 or 3 ears of sweet corn have found their way into my belly this year (I am a mid-western girl, can't help it). I also was extremely sick the first trimester and ate more than my fair share of rice crackers to keep everything down.

Lots of veggies, fruits, squashes and sweet potatoes round my carbs out. I have about a 50-25-25 ratio for my fat-carbs-protein. Baby is healthy and well developed so far in my second trimester. You don't NEED grains to be healthy or to have a healthy baby - just keep your carb levels up; there is some research coming about out there on low carb not exactly being healthy for a growing fetus.

My first pregnancy I was not primal, I gained 60lbs that took me two years to shed. Not happening again. Mom and baby are both going to be healthy this time.

Comment

Just came across this and thought of you. This is true for women who hope to conceive in the next year or so, too: https://nourishingourchildren.wordpr...rsing-mothers/

Comment

I'm always surprised by this question in relation to pregnancy and breast feeding. Why would you NOT want to eat this way?? It is healthy and nutritious--the restoration of your cycles is exhibit A. Grain eating not so much--keep in mind that they have to enrich processed grains with vitamins lost in processing, that components of grain can interfere with your body's absorption of certain vitamins, and I'm going to guess that you developed CAH while eating SAD with plenty of grains.

Comment

Originally posted by Janknitz View Post
                            I'm always surprised by this question in relation to pregnancy and breast feeding. Why would you NOT want to eat this way?? It is healthy and nutritious--the restoration of your cycles is exhibit A. Grain eating not so much--keep in mind that they have to enrich processed grains with vitamins lost in processing, that components of grain can interfere with your body's absorption of certain vitamins, and I'm going to guess that you developed CAH while eating SAD with plenty of grains.
                            I think it has to do with the general medicalizing of the pregnancy and birth process. People have begun to see it as some disease state that needs micromanaged to have any success. Of course this is wrong, but when you have umpteen doctors appointments followed by a trip and stay in a hospital you can see how it happens. In the end though we just need to remember that on the whole if it is good for you then it is also good for the baby growing within.

Comment

You're right, pregnancy is seen as a disease state, to be prevented with a pill, extracted with surgery when unwanted, and managed with every intervention when allowed to progress.

It doesn't seem like there are as many people on this forum as there used to be, but if others were interested, we could have a thread about primal living/parenting. Not to debate it, or the merits or demerits of any modern methods, but to answer questions and offer support. So many don't know, for instance, the first thing about natural pregnancy care, natural birth, "ecological" breastfeeding (the kind that results in natural child spacing of 3 years), natural baby care, natural hygiene (no, you don't stink!), natural healthcare, all to complement the discussions here which are primarily focused on natural diet & natural fitness.

And just like Mark so often points out, it's not about living like Grok so much as learning the principles that benefited Grok the most and applying them to the modern lifestyle as much as is reasonably possible/desirable in a given situation to meet our individual goals of health & happiness.

Comment

Working...
                              X