Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much liver?

Hey all. Recently I started craving liver, which for me means chicken liver (ate it and loved it as a kid). I ordered desiccated beef liver tabs, which I took at half dose, but was still craving chicken liver. So I stopped taking the supplement and bought some chicken liver for the first time in my adult life. It's as delicious as I remember.

Anyway, I'm eating several ounces a day (cooked, in case that's not clear). I'm careful with supplements and haven't taken any that include Vitamin A, though I do use red palm oil pretty regularly.

My question is: Can I overdo on liver, even during a craving? I woke up today with a splitting headache that didn't go away for hours. I finally broke down and took ibuprofen, but tonight it's back. I've seen that headache may be a symptom of excess Vitamin A, and liver is the only recent change in diet. Hydration, activity, calories, and macros are otherwise normal.

How often do you eat liver, and can a mix of plant and animal sources of Vitamin A (or precursors) cause problems?

Going to bed now. Fingers crossed that this was just an anomaly, but if I'm overdoing with something in my diet, I'd like to dial it back.

Thanks for any advice.

Quarter to half pound a week is probably plenty; I don't think I'd go way higher.

Comment

You can tolerate higher doses of vitamin A if accompanied by higher doses of vitamin D
      My opinions and some justification

Comment

I prefer the taste of chicken liver to beef liver, but nutritionally, chicken takes a backseat to beef liver.

Chicken liver has only about 1/2 the vitamin A as beef liver. And, the vitamin D content of chicken liver is nil, whereas beef liver has a decent amount. As Elliott points out, the two in tandem mitigate vitamin A concerns.

Omega 6 in the two is close to even with chicken liver being slightly higher, but Omega 3 in beef liver is 4X that of chicken liver, making the O6/O3 ratio of beef liver preferable.

The greatest concern I'd have with beef liver is with copper. Beef liver has an abundance of copper and too much copper in the absence of zinc can be problematic. On the one hand, beef liver is a great source of copper, but if overdone can cause a number of health problems. That is not a risk with chicken liver.

Regarding your headache, I guess it's possible you're getting too much vitamin A if your vitamin D levels are low right now, but it seems unlikely to me. I don't know your responses to high Omega 6 PUFA, but with chicken liver being high, relative to Omega 3, I'd be just as suspicious of that. I think I'd be looking at other possible triggers, as well, if the headaches continue.

I try to have beef liver once per week (4 oz). When I have chicken liver in the house I usually eat some every morning for breakfast until its gone. I think I'll pick up some today. Its been awhile.
        Last edited by John Caton; 08-15-2015, 04:36 AM.
        Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
        Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

Don't forget lamb liver which is much tastier than both beef and chicken, IMO.

Comment

Love lamb liver.

Second is beef. Then chicken. FCLO in supplement.

Wifey likes chicken liver best...meh.

Comment

Thanks everybody. Headache persisted, but much reduced, the following day and is now gone. Very unusual for me.

I haven't had lamb liver, but have meant to try it. Also didn't know that O6 is higher in chicken liver, which is good info for me. My diet is pretty centered around combating inflammation, so I try to keep a close eye on O6 sources and limit my consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by Filet Minion View Post
                Thanks everybody. Headache persisted, but much reduced, the following day and is now gone. Very unusual for me.

I haven't had lamb liver, but have meant to try it. Also didn't know that O6 is higher in chicken liver, which is good info for me. My diet is pretty centered around combating inflammation, so I try to keep a close eye on O6 sources and limit my consumption.
                An afterthought I've had about the headache; with liver being so rich in iron, that could also be a source of your headache. Glad it subsided some.
                Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
                Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

Working...
                X