Ad Widget

Collapse

Feeling AMAZING, BUT my wife and I have noticed hair loss! Help!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling AMAZING, BUT my wife and I have noticed hair loss! Help!

Quick backgound- 48 years old, both myself and wife. We have 6 children. I could write a book on how good we have been feeling since changing from SAD diet to Primal diet and lifestyle. Wife is small, 105 pounds, never weight probs, but has gone down 2 sizes and is up 5 pounds, looks great. Used to deal with yeast infections and tons of bloating and joint pain and it all has disappeared! I let myself go over 5 years and got severely out of shape as well as 45 pounds overweight, am now at perfect high school weight and feel strong and in great shape overall. We both started at 1 pull up and I can do 18 now and she is at 8. We have been eating primal blueprint for almost 9 months and essentially doing high intensity 15 min. workouts every other day and walking 2 miles on non high intensity days. We sprint 100 yard wind sprints 1x week. Started at 3 and up to 9 now with 10 as the goal. Supplements include fish oil and probiotics. My wife takes iron and black cohosh. Dealing with perimenopause.

We feel the best we have felt in 30 years, since quitting high school athletics. BUT--

We are both dealing with hair loss, noticed about 3 months ago. Just ton's in the brush and on the pillow every morning and on the back of our shirts during the day. If I filled in the details of our story, I'm sure we could be featured on Mark's success stories and it is driving us crazy that we could have such energy and strength and health and losing our hair. If it was just her, we could maybe point to hormones with perimenopause, but we are both dealing with it equally so i feel like we are screwing up somewhere?

Breakfast is eggs, fruit, bacon and on weekends some paleo waffles with coconut flour and flaxmeal. Coffee.
    Lunch is big ass salad with meat on it. Lots of veggies, avocado, usually dark greens, spinach and kale.
    Dinners are generally lots of veggies and a piece of some dead animal. Just use recipes we find on the site. Sneak coconut oil in coffee and eggs and cook dinner with it. homemade olive oil dressing for salads. Between 100-125 carbs a day. Some 86% dark chocolate at nights and glass of red wine with dinner.

PLEASE HELP! Things we have tried--cut out Vit. A as we were having several carrots a day, mangos, and some sweet potatoes somewhat often. Read that too much Vit. A can cause hair loss. We are back to occaisional sweet potato and carrots on salad. Were eating 2 brazil nuts daily, read too much selenium can cause hair loss, so went to 3 nuts a week.

Any input would be very very appreciated!!
    Last edited by rowdyrog; 08-21-2015, 10:33 AM.

You are definitely not getting too much vitamin A from vegetables (not in the right form). If you were eating liver everyday then you might need to think of it.

I had hair loss on low carb paleo. Going to 200g a day fixed it. I can't promise it would fix things for you though.

Comment

Get a thyroid panel which includes thyroid antibodies.
      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Hmmm well, I know a lot of people who experienced hairloss on low carb, and then the hairloss stopped once some carbs are added back in. Not sure if that's helpful...
        JOURNAL..
        @BabesWithBBQ.
        Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
        Professional Style Website.
        #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Given how great you feel I'd be rather reluctant to change anything in your diet. Generally hair loss can be associated with a number of things...dieting to lose weight and overreaching in exercise being most common. It could be that you need to increase your consumption of bone broth, liver, and eggs. The gelatin and vitamins in those are vital for healthy skin, hair, and nails.

And then there is your general age. This may just be normal. Some peoples hair simply thins a bit. Question though. Is your hair thinning or do you just notice the extra hair on pillow and brush? Reason I ask is you may be replacing the hair as fast as it is lost as part of your body's improved health and vitality. In that case don't change a thing.
          Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-21-2015, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Cutting out grains and refined sugar tends to boost testosterone and DHT. DHT can exacerbate hair loss.

Comment

Could be too much B5, though I doubt it - more likely a carb problem. You could try upping it a little bit and see if the problem gets better.

Comment

Everyone, I feel so blessed to have this resource right now. I have searched so much on the internet and I'm a pretty decent researcher and have found comments, but very little depth in those comments. Thank you everyone. So I'm going to try the carb increase, I sat down with my calculator and I may have even reported high. My wife and I may have been as low as 75 carbs a day on average! It snuck up on me, I remember when I first started eating this way I didn't think it was possible to get below 100 carbs as I was looking to lose weight. Now I am a little concerned about how to increase my carbs, haha. Seriously though! There just aren't enough carbs in veggies to get there without stuffing ourselves to uncomfortable levels (our appetites are lower for sure) My only ideas are increased fruit and putting potatoes back in the diet. What does a 200 Carb day look like on your plates, would love to hear!!

So my quasi-biological theory after reading your comments and realizing we have been lower than I realized on carbs and doing some pretty intense workouts (regular sprints, short high intensity lifting and cardio, 5 mile walks on off days) is that I've been using up the fat in my diet and since my wife and I are pretty darn lean now, and with not enough carbs to satisfy the requirements, our bodies have gone to other places to find energy and our hair falling out is a symptom of that, attacking the folicle or something.

Anyway, thanks so much everyone for taking the time to write, I know you have better things to do and it means a ton to us! I'm going to increase carbs somehow and hope to see the hair stop falling out!

Comment

Lots of hair on pillow and brush is what we have noticed. I don't know if it is thinning necessarily, but when you see that much hair on your brush and pillow everyday, I seriously have been wondering if I'm going to be bald in 60 days. But this has been going on for 3 months now and I'm not bald yet, so there must me some replacement going on. Same for my wife, our total head of hair is not as "thick" (her ponytail of hair is not as robust) but I would say it should be worse with the amount of hair we have seen, so perhaps there is regrowth.... We haven't done bone broth at all, so that may be a missing element, going to add that!

Thanks!
                  Last edited by rowdyrog; 08-24-2015, 07:45 AM.

Comment

After a little more research, I agree on the Vit. A, just was so bummed we were willing to try anything. No change after eliminating the vit. A foods, so we are back on them as normal.

I really think we were way too low on carbs, I said we were between 100-125 and it likely was 75-85 on average, so I'm hoping this is it. If you have a min, would love to know how to get that high in carbs!! Sounds stupid maybe, but as I mentioned in my other comment, I don't think we could stuff ourselves with enough veggies to do that, I guess, more fruit and potatoes is the plan! ?
                    Last edited by rowdyrog; 08-24-2015, 07:45 AM.

Comment

I read about this in my research, what would be a solution if that is in fact the situation?

Comment

A certain amount of hair on the brush is normal. Everyone loses some hair everyday. What you need to look out for is if your hair is actually thinning.

Potatoes, sweet potatoes, african yam, american yam, plantains, taro and white rice are some good primal approved starchy carbs. For sugary carbs, fruit can be good especially stuff like bananas. Honey is another great sugary carb, i like a spoon before bed for improved sleep.

You needn't go "high carb" to get the benefits. But since you guys are lean and pretty active, you may find compartively higher carb paleo a nice place to be. If you've been low carb for a while, you might want to increase carbs a little gradually. You will gain some water weight when you increase carbs, do not be alarmed. Btw, don't just add carbs to your diet on top of what you are already eating. You need to make room for the extra calories, a slight reduction in fat is the easiest way to choose this.

I prefer starchy carbs with a meal over sugary carbs like fruit on their own. I can overeat sugary carbs more easily. Your results may be different.

Comment

Sounds like a thyroid issue. You should get it checked out!

Comment

URJA, thanks for the input! Really appreciate it. This is a lot of help!

Comment

kiwigal, if no changes from our adjustments, that is our next step. We haven't rushed to that because both myself and my wife are dealing with it and it seemed unlikely that we would both develop thyroid issues together. Interestingly I had severe hyperthyroid issues about 6 years ago, sudden onset, and they wanted to kill my thyroid with the radioactive iodine, but I chose to try to fix it naturally, studied my tail off and went on the medication to slow everything down, then weened myself from the medication over 6 month period and have never had an issue since. My wife has been checked twice in the past 6 years as she has felt symptoms of it, mostly cold hands and feet and lethargy, but all her tests came back fine. She was on the low end of "normal" but fine. 2nd time we checked for everything, not just superficial tests. But who knows, we shall see, we are going to give it 30 days and see if hair loss slows down with increased carbs to the 150-180 a day range and we will see what happens. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X