Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish I could stop counting, but my desire to "control" seems to be superior. I do not weigh my food, I estimate how many cals my meals have. I hardly eat outside and that makes it easier to count.
    But actually I am convinced that if you had a good connection to your body, there would be no need to count. But hormones, stress, habits sometimes interrupt the talk between appetite and fullness, "please hold the line", while waiting, you are eating *lol*

Comment

But actually I am convinced that if you had a good connection to your body, there would be no need to count.
      I have an excellent awareness of my body and am not driven by stress or habits to enjoy food. It's like money- better off for me to work within a budget and be aware on paper.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by Artbuc View Post
        How do you define LCHF and how do you know you are eating LCHF? Eg, if LC means <50g/d of net carbs, how do you know if your hubby is eating <50g/d?
        I would say anything under 200 g is relatively low carb. Too many people associate keto with low carb. There are plenty of benefits from a non ketogenic low carb diet. One for me personally is apatite control and stable energy for two. You don't have to do keto to stabilize blood sugar.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by whitebear View Post
          I would say anything under 200 g is relatively low carb. Too many people associate keto with low carb. There are plenty of benefits from a non ketogenic low carb diet. One for me personally is apatite control and stable energy for two. You don't have to do keto to stabilize blood sugar.

Thanks, but I was asking countrygirl08 for her definition and how she knows her eating plan falls within her definition. She says she does not need to count calories so I wondered if she counted fat and carbs.Trying to agree on a universal definition of LCHF would be a colossal waste of time.
          Last edited by Artbuc; 08-27-2015, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks, but I was asking countrygirl08 for her definition and how she knows her eating plan falls within her definition. She says she does not need to count calories so I wondered if she counted fat and carbs.Trying to agree on a universal definition of LCHF would be a colossal waste of time.
            Ok smart ass. Your post just reminded me that many people think low carb means keto by default and I took the opportunity to clear up that confusion. I know the numbers you gave were part of a hypothetical example. It's an open forum. Don't take it personally.

Comment

Originally posted by whitebear View Post
              Don't take it personally.
              I didn't but apparently you did. Sorry if I offended you.

Comment

I didn't but apparently you did. Sorry if I offended you.
                You didn't offend me. No worries. It's nearly impossible to convey emotion in text. I'm really easy to get along with.

Comment

Some people never look at their speedometer when they're driving and stay within the limits. Others check because they tend to go over the limit too easily. Whichever way you go about it, you must stay within x portions to maintain x results. If that's counting carbs, calories, trusting your hunger signals to be accurate, or just eyeballing portions, one way or another you are staying in your range if you are pleased with your results. I trust my hunger signals just fine; but I have a tendency to eat beyond their sound advice. Just like a trusted friend who gives wonderful advice that I tend to ignore (and regret afterward). Sometimes out of anxiety, sometimes out of pure indulgence because it tastes GOOD. When I am bored with food, I tend to not overeat it. And that usually occurs when I give myself permission to eat unlimited quantities of it, which is why low-carb or low-fat, aka restrictive diets, tend to work along with "eating to satiety": When your options are limited you lose a lot of desire to overdo it. Variety and combination (processed, salted, sweetener, etc.) foods are often what are hard to stop when you are full. "There's always room for dessert." Yup. Couldn't eat another bite of meat and veggies, but can fit in that whole bowl of ice cream!

Also, another thing to consider is that it's not always true that if liver doesn't sound good to you that you aren't hungry. I believe it's ok to be picky because our body is signaling us for certain micro- and macronutrients that are not necessarily in a certain food. It's ok to feel ravenous and snub everything that you are staring at in the fridge; you should eat what appeals to you or you are doing a disservice to your relationship with hunger signals. So I sort of roll my eyes when someone says eat a piece of meat when you actually want fruit or brush your teeth. Hunger and hunger signals don't mean any food will do; it's more complex than that. If abating hunger were that simple we'd only have to eat Soylent Green, right? Variety is good. Too many people try to override cravings with empty calories and end up eating more because of it. Eat the frickin' chocolate or potato!
                  Last edited by j3nn; 08-27-2015, 03:02 PM.
                  | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

I have always been a strong believer in CICO. It is the only thing that has allowed me to maintain weight. Over the many decades of my life, I have lost and regained 25-35 lbs 4 or 5 times. I found MDA a couple years ago and, after some experimentation, I have settled on a PB based diet which I enjoy and find very satisfying. However, I can still easily overeat and gain weight unless I do something to control portions. CICO does that for me. I believe it is possible that my steady state calories could be higher or lower if I ate different foods because I believe it is possible that not all calories are created equal, ie affect my body in the same way. Given my fairly steady state life in terms of physical activity and food choices, CICO is the perfect tool for me.
                    Good presentation.

If one uses CICO as a gauge, it would certainly have more relevance in what you called your "steady state life". I've said in the past that calorie comparison was only valid when comparing foods within the same macro, but I concede there is also validity if one's day-to-day macro mix is pretty steady. My overriding position is that there must be consistency to be a reliable predictive tool. You provide consistencey in your macro mix to make CICO work. Cool.
                    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
                    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

Never counted calories - why should I ? If I gain weight and it's not muscles, I will eat a bit less and move some more. Works every time.

Comment

When your options are limited you lose a lot of desire to overdo it.
                        I agree, and for me, personally, I hit a wall on those types of diets eventually. They definitely work great for me for a set amount of time, then I just get sick of the lack of variety. In terms of sustainable lifestyle for me, they are a fail. Part of life to me is enjoying food and cooking, which means variety. And fake foods generally fall short (and a lot of times pack a calorie wallop!)

However, calorie counting and moderation can be easy to mess up if you start adding in fake foods, eating out a lot etc. I think it works for me because I generally cook with whole foods and it is easy to track. Plus I have more or less a very stable appetite that doesn't fluctuate, so I can plan a day of meals and be pretty sure it's the right amount of food for the day.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

I have been so thrilled to find this lifestyle, I tried all of the diets out there over the years, with all the of the calorie counting ways.

For me not counting calories has made this work for me. I don't actively count anything.

What made me lose weight in the beginning was eating few carbs, no counting but focusing on meat and fat and a sprinkling of carbs, then when I needed to stabilize as getting too thin, adding more carbs like potato and rice back in.

To maintain now, I have a routine, of weighing every day to make sure I don't slide. Do not eat after 6.30 at night until 9.30 in the morning. Try to stick to 3 full meals a day. Don't go overboard on sweets and nuts (my kryptonite) I have to keep those things out of the house if I am finding a strong tendency to go overboard. If I notice the scale creep up a little, it is usually because I have started to snack a bit on something like paleo mug cake or jelly babies, rice crisps or something like that. Just have to get them out of the house again and all goes back to normal.
                          Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
                          Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
                          Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
                            Some people never look at their speedometer when they're driving and stay within the limits. Others check because they tend to go over the limit too easily. Whichever way you go about it, you must stay within x portions to maintain x results. If that's counting carbs, calories, trusting your hunger signals to be accurate, or just eyeballing portions, one way or another you are staying in your range if you are pleased with your results. I trust my hunger signals just fine; but I have a tendency to eat beyond their sound advice. Just like a trusted friend who gives wonderful advice that I tend to ignore (and regret afterward). Sometimes out of anxiety, sometimes out of pure indulgence because it tastes GOOD. When I am bored with food, I tend to not overeat it. And that usually occurs when I give myself permission to eat unlimited quantities of it, which is why low-carb or low-fat, aka restrictive diets, tend to work along with "eating to satiety": When your options are limited you lose a lot of desire to overdo it. Variety and combination (processed, salted, sweetener, etc.) foods are often what are hard to stop when you are full. "There's always room for dessert." Yup. Couldn't eat another bite of meat and veggies, but can fit in that whole bowl of ice cream!

Also, another thing to consider is that it's not always true that if liver doesn't sound good to you that you aren't hungry. I believe it's ok to be picky because our body is signaling us for certain micro- and macronutrients that are not necessarily in a certain food. It's ok to feel ravenous and snub everything that you are staring at in the fridge; you should eat what appeals to you or you are doing a disservice to your relationship with hunger signals. So I sort of roll my eyes when someone says eat a piece of meat when you actually want fruit or brush your teeth. Hunger and hunger signals don't mean any food will do; it's more complex than that. If abating hunger were that simple we'd only have to eat Soylent Green, right? Variety is good. Too many people try to override cravings with empty calories and end up eating more because of it. Eat the frickin' chocolate or potato!
                            Good post, nobody needs to watch the speedometer if they don’t have to. If somebody has been eaten a crappy SAD diet and want to lose weight, then just changing to whatever diet of good healthy foods will often make them lose weight for a while. Portion control and calorie counting comes into play when stalling and around sticking points where a more strict regimen become the order of the day, it’s a useful too even for the paleo crowd...
                            "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

I use my fitness pal but totally ignore the calories. Low carb for my husband is 30g of carb a day.
                              My present is a result of my past choices, making the right choices today will create my futuresigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                                Good post, nobody needs to watch the speedometer if they don’t have to. If somebody has been eaten a crappy SAD diet and want to lose weight, then just changing to whatever diet of good healthy foods will often make them lose weight for a while. Portion control and calorie counting comes into play when stalling and around sticking points where a more strict regimen become the order of the day, it’s a useful too even for the paleo crowd...
                                I'm a fan of calorie counting, but I don't see it as a burden, just a tool of measurement. I also find it useful for manipulating how much I can eat! The way I used to believe in weight loss protocol was simply to starve or eat as little as possible. Calorie tracking gave me the data I needed to realize just how much food I can eat and still lose weight. Most people do not need to count calories, but on a global scale most people also do not have a need to lose weight. When food security presents new problems for us, we need more options to solve those problems. It's a useful tool to know and use, but most people will never have a use for it. And that's ok. There are countless tools that only appeal to the minority. But everybody has a caloric threshold whether they wish to know it or not. It never ceases to exist. I'm all for manipulating macros, but raising the ceiling doesn't remove it.
                                | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Working...
                                X