Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supplementation and Fermented Cod Liver Oil

Hello all. I've heard a lot of mixed things on this subject, and since I generally very much trust this community, figured I'd get some opinions here.

Other than a couple of big vacation splurges in the last month and a half, I've been eating mostly primal for a while now and am currently on day 10 of a whole 30 cycle just to sort of clean things up (missing cheese and yogurt soooo much....).

For the last couple weeks I have been taking the following supplements:

Daily Multi-vitamin - Primal Power Method Men's Once A Day Multi-Vitamin (3 month supply) - Primal Power Method

Fish Oil - Primal Power Method Concentrated Omega 3 Fish Oil - Primal Power Method

Turmeric - Primal Power Method Turmeric Inflammation Response - Primal Power Method

Maintenance Dose Probiotic - Primal Power Method Probiotics For Digestive Health - Primal Power Method

Vit D - Primal Power Method Vitamin D3 2,000 IU - Primal Power Method

Bought from this source to try it out and because he is endorsed by someone who I know does a lot of research and takes their endorsements very, very seriously.

However, lately I've been considering buying some Green Pastures Fermented Cod Liver Oil. Seems more natural to me than taking fish oil pills and vitamin D pills, regardless of the source. However, I am concerned with the possibility of toxicity of vitamin A, especially in conjunction with other supplements and a good diet (though, since I do not eat liver regularly/almost ever, most of my vitamin A consumption is in the beta carotene, from both supplements and food).

Here is my diet...

I eat fermented food daily. Currently working on my own setup to do ferments, so I currently rely on bought raw pickles, sauerkraut, etc. Have at least one serving a day, usually two, just depends on my meal (not going to eat "dill pickle sauerkraut" with a Mexican styled meal...).

I eat seafood at least three times a day. Wild caught salmon or farm raised shrimp are the most common. But also eat a lot of mahi mahi or mackeral or tuna or shellfish. Buy bags of frozen shrimp, octopus, and other critters.

With beef, lamb, and poultry, if it is conventionally raised, I buy as lean as possible and add fat via cooking. If it's at least organic, or better, grass-fed, then I buy fatty.

Every day I eat a spinach and kale based salad, either one huge one with chicken breast and eggs added as the whole meal, or two smaller ones as sides/starters to my meal.

And then one or two servings of fruit daily and 1-3 cups of tea (green in the morning, herbal the rest of the day).

And two spoonfuls of beef gelatin daily, as well.

I have bought and will likely buy in the future fermented cod liver oil from green pastures. If your only concern is that you may get too much vitamin A, I would recommend you go ahead and get it because that will not be an issue. It comes with enough vitamin D to balance, so you will be fine.

On the other hand I must say that I don't supplement this all the time for myself and family. My boys and wife get it more than me because they don't eat as much liver or seafood as I. Also I take it more in winter months or during periods of increased general stress. I sort of autoregulate in that fashion. I do the same with my magnesium supplement. Those are the only two supplements that I take remotely regularly. Vitamin C is one that I throw in from time to time too.

TLDR: Green pasture cod liver oil is a great product. I recommend it and would not fear overdosing on anything as it comes with appropriate ratios and cofactors since it is a FOOD. It may not be necessary with your diet (as you seem to cover your bases well), but it wont hurt either.

Comment

There is very little risk of vitamin A toxicity from fermented cod liver oil. I would focus more on balancing your fat-soluble vitamins; get sun when you can, get vitamin E from nuts and greens, get vitamin K from greens and fermented foods. Vitamin E is known to alleviate vitamin A toxicity, and vitamin D competes for receptors with vitamin A derivatives.

But, if you're still worried, stop taking the oil (or take it less often) if you notice your skin starting to peel.

Comment

I will voice a different opinion: Green Pastures FCLO is a crap product. And it is very expensive (from what I saw on the website of a UK retailer). Why do I say this ? I read some analyses showing results from independent labs. The figures are a little scary and some are far from what is touted by the producer of this past-rancid oil.

I hope I can find the PDF file, not sure I saved it, it was some time ago ... but personally, I much prefer buying stuff that makes sense rather than a half putrid product (the results showed presence of amines typical of putrefaction, among other things). Your nose knows better sometimes

Ah yeah, and the vitamin D3 content was ridiculous according to these analyses. So my advice: stay away and buy yourself real foods!

Comment

If I were you I would drop the multi, and don't bother supplementing fish oil. You are eating lots of seafood, I see no reason to add anything on top.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
            I will voice a different opinion: Green Pastures FCLO is a crap product. And it is very expensive (from what I saw on the website of a UK retailer). Why do I say this ? I read some analyses showing results from independent labs. The figures are a little scary and some are far from what is touted by the producer of this past-rancid oil.
            I'm glad I didn't totally write off your comment due to other trollish behavior! Kinda like the little boy who cried wolf . So I did a little googlizing to find some answers. It seems this is a relatively new and unresolved issue, but does raise some questions. It could simply be a bit of politics within the WAPF in the end. Here is green pastures response:

REVISED - Response to Questions on Fermented Cod Liver Oil by Green Pasture

And a write up by Chris Kresser on it:

https://chriskresser.com/important-u...cod-liver-oil/

Comment

@Neckhammer

Haha, trollish behavior
              Never mind, it's cool you added these links so I don't look like I was making this up Seriously, as far as I remember this document, it did not give you confidence in the product. So screw that, no need to spoon-feed myself with something so repelling ... And even if it had all the virtues proclaimed by the producer, a good diet and lifestyle should not create the need for such stuff.

Comment

I think i might try out this diet of yours

Comment

Working...
                X