X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protein needs kids

Hi everyone

Long time reader, first time poster!

Me and my partner switched to a primal lifestyle about 4 months ago and we're loving it! But.. we are pretty confused about the nutritional needs of our children. They eat primal with us (when we are at home, so most of the time). But in order to get them filled up (they get hungry!) we have been feeding them lots of yogurt, eggs, meat and other rather high-protein foods (next to of course lots of fruit and veggies, potatoes and white rice). We cannot find paleo/primal information about their protein needs, and according to CW they would need about 9 grams each (0.55 p kg), which means they have been eating way too much protein the last few months!

To me it doesn't really make sense because although they are 1/5th the size of an adult, they eat about half of what we eat, so why would we use the same gr of protein per kg formula for a child as for an adult?

Anyway, I'm pretty confused about this topic and would love to have some more info, insights, links to articles etc. So if anyone can help me I would be really grateful!

Thanks!
    Last edited by French apple; 09-22-2015, 04:02 AM.

I wouldn't worry about something as specific as protein needs for kids in terms of macros, from what you've said, they seem to be eating good quality food with more than enough protein. And kids eat a lot. If I was anything to go by, i could out-eat most adults when i was 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Maybe I should specify: they are 3 and 5 years old

Comment

They would definitely need more protein as a percentage, due to the fact that they are growing rapidly and very active. Probably twice as much.

I agree with Jenry, everything seems fine, don't fret. Protein needs are expressed as a minimum anyway, I can't see that it matters if you overshoot. Kids will probably just grow stronger.

As a child we were only allowed to eat potatoes or whatever to "fill up on" when we had eaten our meat. Mum had never heard of primal but she knew children needed real food.
        Last edited by Annieh; 09-22-2015, 03:38 AM.
        My first journal - http://forum.marksdailyapple.com/for...mal-highlights

Comment

I don't believe that human children need a higher proportion of protein in their diet than adults. Human milk is rather low in protein. As a percentage of the energy content of the milk, it's only about 8.4%
          Last edited by Elliot; 09-22-2015, 07:53 AM.
          My opinions and some justification

Comment

kids aged 3 and 5 are usually well-past the age of consuming breast milk. they have different nutritional needs than infants.

if your kids are active and thriving, i would't worry about it. no need to start putting any kind of food "pressure" on them. but realize too, kids shouldn't be eating low-carb. potatoes and rice, as well as whatever fruits and veggies they want, are all fine.
            As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Thanks for all your replies no they are not eating low carb, we provide plenty of rice and potatoes, fruits and yoghurt etc. Plus of course they get treats all the time; birthday parties at school, at friends etc. But we do want to give them a 100% whole food diet when at home. The problem is that there is not a lot of good information about what to feed them. But usually we are pretty pleased with how they eat. Just would love to read more information about this topic.

Comment

if kids are eating whole foods, with few grains, most of them have the innate ability to eat what and how much they "need". they're not getting false signals from junk like soda and highly processed foods.

i have a few friends who feed their kids "mostly" primal and their little ones do not like candy or processed baked goods. they taste "funny".
                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I agree with NT, children will gravitate to what they need most. I would simply offer them a good selection of whole foods.

I don't know of any studies on the exact protein needs of children, I'm sure it would be a difficult study to perform. Any ones that are available are probably based on CW diet.
                  Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Working...
                  X