Ad Widget

Collapse

Headaches with even one alcoholic beverage?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headaches with even one alcoholic beverage?

Since I've started reducing carbs significantly (although doubtful I'm in nutritional ketosis as I'm around 40-50g/day), I noticed that I would get a morning headache for about 20-30 minutes if I had anything to drink the night before that's alcoholic (e.g. just 1 beer). It would subside after taking a Motrin and/or drinking some more water, but it worries me even considering that I do drink a lot during the day. Yes, sodium gets flushed out of the body during low-carb stretches and I'm working on including a lot of extra salt on food, but how much potassium should I take in? How in the world do I get the proper potassium? I purchased some "lite salt" that's a 50/50 mix of NaCl and KCl, but is there anything else I should do to up the minerals or supplement other minerals? I drink about 5oz of low sodium V8 daily to get some extra K. I also drink Mg water consisting of standard seltzer mixed with Milk of Magnesia, at a 1.5ml to 1L ratio. I can't believe I'm this much of a lightweight :-)

Not all headaches are a direct result of a previous meal, but a consistent pattern after alcoholic drinks may be your body's way of getting your attention. Are the headaches worse after some different kinds, or after all kinds? (Some people can drink brandy, but beer and wine do them in.) How long have you been low carb and/or suffering from headaches? (There is a period of adjustment sometimes termed low carb flu.) Leafy greens and veggies are your best potassium sources. A well-rounded lower carb paleo diet should be rich enough in both vitamins and minerals to make supplementation unnecessary. Unless, of course, you know you are deficient and are making up for lost time, or are extremely low carb. Tell us what you eat.

Comment

Not what you want to hear, but your body is telling you to stop drinking booze. Simple solution. If you are looking for a simple potassium boost, eat a can of organic tomato paste. I find it very tasty and easy to eat if I need a boost. Costco has them cheap, or Trader Joes.

Comment

I finally figured out that alcohol for me is a big whammy. Bigger than any other food. A couple of drinks will lead to a week or more of water retention and shut down fat loss. Plus it makes me feel like shit. My max is the very occasional vodka and club soda. I don't know that there is a way to "make it work" for me, and just pretty much quit drinking. You might consider that, at least for a while.

I'm sure if you are eating at low carb levels that the carbs in beer are probably messing with you?

This is just an observation, but holy shit, people drink so much these days. Has it always been like this? Even women be drinking like fishes on beer and wine. I feel badly for recovering alcoholics because literally all socializing is now done at either breweries or wine bars.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
          I finally figured out that alcohol for me is a big whammy. Bigger than any other food. A couple of drinks will lead to a week or more of water retention and shut down fat loss. Plus it makes me feel like shit. My max is the very occasional vodka and club soda. I don't know that there is a way to "make it work" for me, and just pretty much quit drinking. You might consider that, at least for a while.

I'm sure if you are eating at low carb levels that the carbs in beer are probably messing with you?

This is just an observation, but holy shit, people drink so much these days. Has it always been like this? Even women be drinking like fishes on beer and wine. I feel badly for recovering alcoholics because literally all socializing is now done at either breweries or wine bars.
          Unfortunately booze is my cryptonite as well in weight loss. I can maintain just fine and still have several drinks a week, but I cannot seem to lean out without totally abstaining. I wonder at our consumption. Don't we still drink far less than the various countries across the pond? Many of which who are in better health?

As to low carb n drinking, it really was the only way I found I could still drink a moderate amount and be on my personal side of lean. Never gave me extra hangover either, but I have heard from others they couldn't handle as much when VLC. Avocados are a good source of potassium. Love them.

Comment

Have you tried beverages other than beer? Beer gives me a headache easily, while hard cider doesn't. Which makes sense to me, beer is a grain product, while cider is apples. My mother is the same way, she reacts negatively to beer but not hard cider.

Comment

Working...
            X