Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
    Hi. Doing well, thanks. Diet has changed a little - less fat (but still butter, cream, meat fat, olive oil, just not lots of it). More veg and fruit, I have reduced the amount of meat I eat but again it is still organic, grass fed. I've increased the times per week that I eat fish and have started sprinkling powdered seaweed onto soups etc. And not drinking very much wine at all.
    The dietary advice the hospital gives out is still very much the grain based, seed oil message which I'm not adopting!
    And doing lots more exercise. I've been advised to go to the gym a couple of times a week; the hospital has their own which they want me to visit a few times and they will then recommend a local gym that they think will be appropriate. By which I expect they mean has more elderly visitors!
    I am really glad you are doing well and have a found a way to focus on your heart health while maintaining your primal lifestyle. I'm sure your experience caused considerable consternation. Despite your difficulty, it is encouraging that you recognize the science behind your choices.
    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

• Good to see an update BreadSauce. The diet and exercise changes all look positive. Glad you're well.
      *Starting Wt - 151 lbs (January 2015) * Current Wt - 113 lbs (November 2016)
      *95% Plant-Based (from June 2015) ~ *75%Carbs *10-15%Protein *10-15%Fat
      *Exercise ~7-10 hrs/week

Comment

• direct causes for arterial calcification ??

Originally posted by John Caton View Post
        .. Arterial calcification can be a factor to consider and has little, if anything, to do with sat fat and high cholesterol. Calcium, which should be deposited in bone, is often deposited in arteries. Vitamin K2 plays a role, as the traffic cop, to direct calcium to bone as intended, or if K2 is deficient, then calcium may be directed to arteries, too, where it is deposited on artery walls. K2 is naturally available from a healthy gut biome, but also in supplemental form. If, by chance you haven't focused on your gut biome and K2 benefits in the past, it's just something to consider. Good luck. Peace.
        This seems very interesting comment and I did not spot any direct dicussion on this.
        Is the key question what directly causes arterial calcification ?
        What makes the calsium overly available (i.e. not going /staying in the bones) and what makes it to stick arteries ?
        Could there be various mechanisms and even more contributors ?
        Question of which fat to eat should come after that

...Some links/sources for this would be very intersing

simply guy, simple questions...

Comment

• Originally posted by runningout View Post
          This seems very interesting comment and I did not spot any direct dicussion on this.
          Is the key question what directly causes arterial calcification ?
          What makes the calsium overly available (i.e. not going /staying in the bones) and what makes it to stick arteries ?
          Could there be various mechanisms and even more contributors ?
          Question of which fat to eat should come after that

...Some links/sources for this would be very intersing

simply guy, simple questions...
          I'm sure there can be a multitude of causes. I also wish more was available to the lay community, beyond the old saturated fat nonsense.

In the realm of DIY things we can do to lessen arterial calcification is K2 as it appears to be a key player in directing calcium to bone rather than arteries. Another DIY hack is to monitor relative calcification by paying attention to the difference between our high and low blood pressure numbers. A difference that's greater than 40 signifies less elasticity of arteries that could be caused by calcification.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Caton View Post
            I'm sure there can be a multitude of causes. I also wish more was available to the lay community, beyond the old saturated fat nonsense.

In the realm of DIY things we can do to lessen arterial calcification is K2 as it appears to be a key player in directing calcium to bone rather than arteries. Another DIY hack is to monitor relative calcification by paying attention to the difference between our high and low blood pressure numbers. A difference that's greater than 40 signifies less elasticity of arteries that could be caused by calcification.
            I would be very interested in any natural (i.e. dietary) means of reducing arterial calcification. Meanwhile, the trips to the hospital gym are going well and I'm actually enjoying going! Doing lots of walking daily, and trying to be much more focussed on exercise generally. The surgeon is very pleased with the results of echocardiogram and ECG so something is certainly going the right way!

I'm ignoring dietary advice being handed out about eating lots of heart healthy whole grains and vegetable oils; I have explained why and found that it was received much better than I had expected!

Otherwise all is going well. I'm NOT happy about taking statins but I shall keep on with it while I'm still seeing the cardiac rehab team each week. It would be too big an argument to tackle just now!

Comment

I would be very interested in any natural (i.e. dietary) means of reducing arterial calcification. Meanwhile, the trips to the hospital gym are going well and I'm actually enjoying going! Doing lots of walking daily, and trying to be much more focussed on exercise generally. The surgeon is very pleased with the results of echocardiogram and ECG so something is certainly going the right way!

I'm ignoring dietary advice being handed out about eating lots of heart healthy whole grains and vegetable oils; I have explained why and found that it was received much better than I had expected!

Otherwise all is going well. I'm NOT happy about taking statins but I shall keep on with it while I'm still seeing the cardiac rehab team each week. It would be too big an argument to tackle just now!
              Good to hear from you and of your progress.

I assume you are supplementing with CoQ10 with your statin use. Vitamin K2 is the only natural regulator of calcium that I know of. The best dietary source is fermented foods, with natto being foremost. K2 supplements can help too.

Hope your recovery progresses rapidly.

Comment

Hey that's great! You've taken charge of your health and are making progress, that is awesome

Do you think you'd have had as good results without the statins?

Comment

• Originally posted by Eoin Kenny View Post
                  Hey that's great! You've taken charge of your health and are making progress, that is awesome

Do you think you'd have had as good results without the statins?
                  Yes, I'm pretty sure I would have done. My cholesterol was 5.1, which I think is fine, but the statins are to lower that further as the NHS now aim for a count of below 4. I eat sat fat rather than seed / vegetable oils, but not in the quantities that I did.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Caton View Post
                    Good to hear from you and of your progress.

I assume you are supplementing with CoQ10 with your statin use. Vitamin K2 is the only natural regulator of calcium that I know of. The best dietary source is fermented foods, with natto being foremost. K2 supplements can help too.

Hope your recovery progresses rapidly.
                    No, I'm not using CoQ10. I will google it and see what it is and where I can get it. Thanks.

Comment

Yes, I'm pretty sure I would have done. My cholesterol was 5.1, which I think is fine, but the statins are to lower that further as the NHS now aim for a count of below 4. I eat sat fat rather than seed / vegetable oils, but not in the quantities that I did.
                      Really? I thought that below 5 was the standard these days? Mine used to be nearly 12 until recently it dropped to around 4.5 doing similar things to you but without the statins. I don't think I could get it below 4 without going vegan or using drugs.

Comment

• I agree you should spplement with CoQ10 daily when taking statins. Here's a timely article about the benefits of CoQ10 + Vit D for heart failure. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joel-k...b_9655206.html

I realize you don't have heart failure however I just want to point out the benefits to the heart of both CoQ10 and Vit D.

Also, while natto may be a source of Vit K, it's not the best source. One cup of natto, assuming you can find it or learn to make it, only has 50% of the MDR (US based requirement) of Vit K. However if you'll add 1/2 cup chopped kale to your diet you'll be getting over 300% of the MDR for Vit K with each serving. You can get 300% of your Vit K with only 1/4 cup chopped parsley. Half a cup of collard greens has 250% of your vit K. Hopefully you get the point, greens are your go to source for this vitamin.

Good luck!

Comment

Really? I thought that below 5 was the standard these days? Mine used to be nearly 12 until recently it dropped to around 4.5 doing similar things to you but without the statins. I don't think I could get it below 4 without going vegan or using drugs.
                          It's what I was told at the rehab clinic - but it perhaps that is a recommendation for people post cardiac event? In any case, I think it is possible to have too low a cholesterol count which I'm sure will turn out to be as bad (or worse) than a high one. Which is why I aim to stop the statin when I'm a bit further down the line.

Comment

Here we are

https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/...gh-cholesterol

Advises having less than 4 mol/l .Which seems low to me! Not so long ago, the advice was to aim to have less than 7 mol/l. Who is lowering the targets? I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were the manufacturers of statins ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck_S View Post
                              Also, while natto may be a source of Vit K, it's not the best source. One cup of natto, assuming you can find it or learn to make it, only has 50% of the MDR (US based requirement) of Vit K. However if you'll add 1/2 cup chopped kale to your diet you'll be getting over 300% of the MDR for Vit K with each serving. You can get 300% of your Vit K with only 1/4 cup chopped parsley. Half a cup of collard greens has 250% of your vit K. Hopefully you get the point, greens are your go to source for this vitamin.

Good luck!
                              Vitamin K2 from natto for instance and vitamin K1 from greens are not the same:
                              http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...min-k1-k2.aspx
                              Take a walk on the wild side.

Comment

Working...
                              X