Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elliot View Post
    Kasey, if you're so sure that Esselstyn's method is the best, please post the evidence you found most convincing. I'm skeptical, but I'm willing to be convinced if the evidence is really that good.
    The thing that always sticks out in my mind, is the picture of the artery unclogging itself on his diet. I mean, it doesn't get more solid than that. http://www.dresselstyn.com/huffpost.htm

Obviously you could search for days to find all the people he has helped reverse heart disease, but that photo says it all for me Consider reading his book.

Comment

Originally posted by Kasey View Post
      The thing that always sticks out in my mind, is the picture of the artery unclogging itself on his diet.
      I did that with paleo and in a shorter time. Eliminating the three biggies along with exercise and a few supplements, will work for most otherwise healthy people. Esselstyn's subjects eliminated the big 3 too. Quitting meat probably didn't contribute to the improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by NewOldGuy View Post
        So this guy's video blog is the evidence?
        No, all the videos on Nutritionfacts.org have the sources listed under 'Sources cited', right under the title.

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
        neither of us is going to convince the other so can we just stop trying?
        That's understandable. It's geared to those lurking, who might appreciate a different point of view and may find it useful.

During the years I was eating a high fat, meat based primal/paleo diet, my cholesterol tests were never all normal. I believed what everyone here said, that only the ratios matter. Well the ratios were fine because HDL is always the denominator and it's always going to be high if you eat high fat, so the ratios were always 'right', even though the total chol and the LDL were always off. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Breadsauce's ratios were perfect per primal. And yet....

But personally, I prefer to have normal blood tests and wanted to stop making excuses for bad labs. I cut the meat and fat, switching to a plant based diet and voila, normal labs. From a Total Chol of 287(during primal) down to 168, LDL from 203 to 108. LDL still needs a little work though. I'd like it to drop to 70-ish. Dr. Greger would be pleased. And my heart's arteries would thank me for not clogging them with plaque.
        Last edited by KimLean125byMar15; 01-04-2016, 06:19 PM.
        *Starting Wt - 151 lbs (January 2015) * Current Wt - 113 lbs (November 2016)
        *95% Plant-Based (from June 2015) ~ *75%Carbs *10-15%Protein *10-15%Fat
        *Exercise ~7-10 hrs/week

Comment

Consider reading his book.
          It was one of the first things I bought and read after my heart attack 5 years ago. As well as Campbell's China Study. And I subsequently read dozens of books and studies that contradicted them. I probably have done more research on this topic than most lay-posters on this forum. Both of their conclusions about causative factors for CVD have been well debunked.

Comment

The thing that always sticks out in my mind, is the picture of the artery unclogging itself on his diet. I mean, it doesn't get more solid than that. http://www.dresselstyn.com/huffpost.htm

Obviously you could search for days to find all the people he has helped reverse heart disease, but that photo says it all for me Consider reading his book.
            In autopsy studies of our GI’s who died in the Vietnam and Korean wars almost 80% at an average age of 20 years, had disease that could be seen without a microscope.
            most of those boys were heavy smokers and grew up eating margarine instead of butter.
            As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by NewOldGuy View Post
              I did that with paleo and in a shorter time. Eliminating the three biggies along with exercise and a few supplements, will work for most otherwise healthy people. Esselstyn's subjects eliminated the big 3 too. Quitting meat probably didn't contribute to the improvement.
              OP doesn't partake in the big three, yet has had this terrifying experience.....I my sorry you had to go through that terrifying experience.

What's the difference between Sisson, Wolf & Cordain & Dr. Esselstyn, Dr. Bernard & Dr Greger.
              Years of experience as medical doctors that promote what they believe and have seen help.

Everyone does the best they can with the information they have got. Ego should not get in the way
              We are all N+1
              Last edited by PoisonIvy; 01-04-2016, 07:30 PM.

Comment

I agree that the image in the article is appealing, but it's not really meaningful. Is this an experiment? What is the control group? Is that image representative of everyone's experience, or did he pick out an outlier?
                Last edited by Elliot; 01-04-2016, 07:55 PM.
                My opinions and some justification

Comment

Don't load up on bacon sausages or other fatty stuff, eat fish and seafood twice a week, red meat or liver once or twice, chicken or whatever creature with wings two and one day with milk and eggs or vegetarian. Eat PLENTY of cooked AND raw vegetables, some fruits as well. Eat around 30 gram of gelatin per day and stay well hydrated. Eat starchy foods once a day. Thats it, vegetarianism is overrated, but eat your veggies, lots of them...
                  "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Elliot View Post
                    I agree that the image in the article is appealing, but it's not really meaningful. Is this an experiment? What is the control group? Is that image representative of everyone's experience, or did he pick out an outlier?
                    Esselstyn does not use controls, apparently because he considers it unethical to deny anyone his amazing diet. Therefore, his so-called controls are always non-adherent subjects. Considering how many treatments fail under randomized conditions, I'm sure a RCT would be his worst nightmare.

Comment

I would encourage the OP and any low fat skeptics to check out this thread over on the Primal Research forum. There is a link in the first post that is worth clicking to read a new blog post by Denise Minger.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread115751.html

Denise Minger was lauded in this forum many many times and if you use the search function on this website you'll pull up a lot of that praise.

I wish the OP the best of health whatever he decides to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck_S View Post
                        I would encourage the OP and any low fat skeptics to check out this thread over on the Primal Research forum. There is a link in the first post that is worth clicking to read a new blog post by Denise Minger.

Denise Minger was lauded in this forum many many times and if you use the search function on this website you'll pull up a lot of that praise.

I wish the OP the best of health whatever he decides to do.
                        I shall read this with great interest. I'm pretty sure that I've made the great mistake of thinking that if sat fat, instead of being bad
                        has been wrongly vilified, then more fat must be better than some fat. And so much of what I've read along the way has encouraged me in this approach.
                        I shall reduce all fat (but avoid industrially produced seed oils. Olive oil good, soy oil bad!). But not animal fats totally. Increase raw veg (I've never really liked salad etc but will add some to my food intake). Continue to avoid wheat and all gluten containing products (they flare asthma up for me anyway). Reduce dependence on meat / fish/ eggs / poultry, which may have been too great a proportion of my diet add and add yet more veg (I have way over the 5 portions per day already).
                        And continue to read and try to make sense of the conflicting ideas which abound in the arena of health and diet.
                        But Esselstyn etc - I believe some animal produce is essential to optimal health, and I remain unconvinced that a diet based on vegetable / fruit is adequate. And yes, I've read a a lot about this over the years. And increase exercise, which has never been a great part of my life (again, due to asthma and the fact that I believed regular walking would be enough).
                        Thanks for all off the input - I'll be reading masses for weeks!

Comment

Originally posted by purplegorilla View Post
                          Here are my suggestions in terms of supplementation.

Vitamin D3
                          Vitamin K2
                          Magnesium (Magnesium Taurate is good for heart health if I recall correctly. The Both the Magnesium and the Taurate. I think thats how you spell it)
                          Potassium
                          Iodine

(^ A lot of these should come easily through diet if you eat properly. Magnesium from nuts and leafy greens. Potassium from fruits and veggies. Vitamin D from certain foods but sun is best bet obviously. Supplementation is recommended during winter or in certain locations.)

All of these are critical for proper dissolving of calcium in the blood and overall circulation

Thyroid and Kidneys are also crucial to make sure calcium is being dissolved in the blood and properly distributed where it needs to go, instead of clogging your arteries.

Add enough carbs into your diet so that you can reach maximum Thyroid function and get the metabolism up to proper speed.

I don't think any doctor would be opposed to any of the supplements I just listed above. I would recommend getting iodine through diet or kelp poweder as opposed to artificial iodine supplements.

Another thing to look into perhaps is nattokinase and other similar enzymes. Nattokinase is found in Natto, which is fermented soy beans. Helps promote healthy blood circulation and naturally aids the bodies ability to break down and dissolve blood clots and keep the arteries clear and free of debris

Best of luck to you. I'm sorry to hear about this

Edit: I forgot to mention regular exercise is crucial. Whether it is short but intense like sprints or long long steady walks for circulation
                          I was told in the hospital that my potassium levels were very low - but then, one of my asthma inhalers does say in the accompanying leaflet that it "can lower potassium levels". Perhaps time to get my inhaler changed ...
                          Thanks for the list of sups - I take vitamin D3 already, and plan to add sea veg to the list.

Comment

Whatever approach you take, I think it's important to have some measures that can track your health over time. Just waiting to see whether you have another heart attack is not a good idea.
                            I moved to primalforums.com to escape the spam.

Comment

there is so much goodness in fish, shellfish and eggs, i'd hate to see you minimize those in lieu of leaves. something like an oyster is chock full of essential minerals (iron, zinc, iodine, etc.) and in the optimal ratios for the human body to absorb them properly. perhaps consider using less added fats when you cook?

good luck.
                              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck_S View Post

I don't find Minger's article convincing at all -- a bunch of uncontrolled observations and mechanism speculating.

Comment

Working...
                                X